Some energy consumption trivia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Wiper : Right, what better to start a trivia with. When the wiper runs, it consumes about 0.1 KW. The accessory for me normally runs at 0.3 KW - and that moves momentarily to 0.4 KW when the wiper ...hmmm ... wipes.

Preheat : I've not been able to get good readings except today. Blink showed consumption of 24.58 for March in the morning before preheating. I heated started the heater some 15 minutes before I left to office. Blink showed 25.04. So a total of 0.46 kwh for preheating. The garage temperature was mid 40s. I got two emails telling me about the heater being on and then off - a difference of 7 minutes. That is a rate of 3.9 kw.

My drive to work : I live on a plateau. My office is near the lake - which is downhill, some 900 ft. I've a few small hills in between. I started preheating and charging to 80%, 3 days back. The drive is short enough that I don't need the heater once I preheat. I've slowly improved the efficiency of the drive - 6.2, 7.1 and 8.3 m/kwh today. Once I go back home, the avg efficiency for the day drops to about 4 m/kwh. All this is in D driving, I'll try Eco next week.

Back