Headline: Sensible Journalist Does Not Run Out of Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeaneG

A nicely balanced first-drive report from Autoweek's long-term Leaf test:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110311/CARREVIEWS/110319977

this is my comment on this article posted at http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110311/CARREVIEWS/110319977 on March 11 if you like what I said give me "recommended" mark

Very objective approach to EV driving. Planning is required in all our activities, but particularly important for EV drivers. For me still a long way to get my Leaf in OK, where charging infrastructure is pretty much non existing. I plan to use my EV for 70 miles round trip to work, but I plan to charge at home and at work so I can avoid running of charge, and at the same time use my EV same way as I use my current car. I believe that EV is future of transportation and I am convinced that EV will be accepted even without huge investment in charging infrastructure because most of the people will charge at home. I will definitely use my Leaf for 90% of my driving needs.

Refreshing article.

I expect the FUD will largely fade away over the next year or two and EVs will become an accepted part of the landscape.

"First they laugh at you. Then they ignore you. Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Ghandi

Nubo said:
"First they laugh at you. Then they ignore you. Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Ghandi

"Anyone who is trying to laugh, ignore or fight EV's is doing so because they know they have already Lost!" -- TRONZ

There is an absolutely crucial sentence fragment in that article that makes all the difference in the world:

"...as I knew from driving other electric cars..."

This is entirely why he was smart enough to think about the trip and plan accordingly. This is why he didn't get stranded anywhere. With time, this will become the norm for everyone.

I'd imagine, back when the first any-kind of vehicle came out, people had anxiety about getting stuck. Planning ahead is what kept people from getting stuck in the 1900's. Both vehicle market and support infrastructure need to grow together, and until they do EVs today are in exactly the same spot gasoline vehicles were at the turn of the last century... better, in fact, because there are electrical outlets all over the place!

I'm also seeing a trend that this article demonstrates: LEAF owners (and more generally, EV owners) seem eager to take care of other owners. This is a Good Thing though I'm skeptical it will carry over if EVs take a significant portion of the vehicle market. There's always hope! Electric Vehicles: Binging people together!
=Smidge=

DeaneG said:
A nicely balanced first-drive report from Autoweek's long-term Leaf test:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110311/CARREVIEWS/110319977
Now that is 'Fair and Balanced Reporting'. ;)

I agree that, in time, the FUD will largely die down as more EVs hit the road and the positive experiences are shared. At some point, when many people will have a friend-of-a-friend that owns an EV, the skepticism will fade. And, the FUDers will just seem ignorant and silly.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110324/GREEN/110329945

Next report.

Range, track test #'s, and what happens when you plug the L1 cable into a 240 v outlet...

PS-

Do 0-60 mph times (9.2 here) vary with battery conditions?

Are they longer at the very end of a rapid discharge cycle?

I've been wondering how road tests seem to get a large range for this number.

edatoakrun said:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110324/GREEN/110329945
Range, track test #'s, and what happens when you plug the L1 cable into a 240 v outlet...
Heh - he was honest about it and was an interesting read.

Too bad he blew is L1 EVSE by plugging it into 240V. Now he has no excuse but to send it to lingeneer to fix it properly. :) If he had the modded L1 EVSE along with some adapters, he would have made it home no problem.

LindsayNB said:
Almost three hours of 110-volt charging yielded only four more miles range.
Why would it be so slow?
The estimated range depends on driving style - and they had it floored for a LOT for their performance testing.

This is another situation where a true/accurate battery SOC meter would be more useful than the estimated range readout.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of misinformation about plug adapters to adapt from the J1772 to various 240-volt outlets in the article and in the comments. Plug-connected 240-volt EVSE's that can be carried in the car will help situations like the author found himself in.

Gerry

Next installment of the long term test. Only real error I found is the statement below that implies you need extra charging for a 40-60 mile commute.

But you have to make some allowances. After all, these were the guys that fried their L1 EVSE by plugging in to 240 volts...

"So far--having had two long-term electric cars to test--we have encountered nothing to change our opinion that modern electric cars like this one and the coming i-MiEV are great cars for commuters and those living in urban and suburban settings. The Leaf may be a little greater than the i-MiEV because it goes a little farther and has a little more room and refinement. Of course, it costs more, too. Either one would be a good second car for a family of four--if one car was a minivan, the electric car could be the commuter. With the Leaf, someone who commutes 20 or 30 miles each way every day and can plug in at work would be perfectly happy. If that person has a 240-volt charger at both ends of his or her commute, you could double that distance."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110414/GREEN/110419941#ixzz1JbpX8GZx

EdmondLeaf said:
I plan to use my EV for 70 miles round trip to work, but I plan to charge at home and at work so I can avoid running of charge, and at the same time use my EV same way as I use my current car. I believe that EV is future of transportation and I am convinced that EV will be accepted even without huge investment in charging infrastructure because most of the people will charge at home. I will definitely use my Leaf for 90% of my driving needs.

That is the longest commute I have heard for a Leaf owner, you will test the limits of the EV adventure everyday, great that you can charge at work.

Herm said:
EdmondLeaf said:
I plan to use my EV for 70 miles round trip to work, but I plan to charge at home and at work so I can avoid running of charge, and at the same time use my EV same way as I use my current car. I believe that EV is future of transportation and I am convinced that EV will be accepted even without huge investment in charging infrastructure because most of the people will charge at home. I will definitely use my Leaf for 90% of my driving needs.

That is the longest commute I have heard for a Leaf owner, you will test the limits of the EV adventure everyday, great that you can charge at work.

I have been doing a 66 mile round trip to work for 3 weeks now. On normal days I charge to 80% at night and arrive in LA with 5-6 bars left driving 65-70 mph with climate on. I plug in my L1 charger at work and it brings me back to 10-11 bars which is pretty much replaces what I used getting to work (BTW I have found the range # pretty much useless IMOHO and follow the # of bars instead) and I arrive back in Chino with 5 bars left. On some days when I am working at a different location and don't have a 120v plug, I charge to 100% and make the round trip with 3 bars left which is fine for now but may become an issue as the battery ages. I'm looking forward to an upgrade, either factory or aftermarket that will give me a little bigger "fudge factor" but I'm good for now. :)

Back