Glenn
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011

Re: Around town efficiency not as good as highway for me!

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:True, if you absolutely floor it. I like better response with less accelerator movement, so D works better when I need the increased response. What can I say? I'm lazy!! :oops:

Lazy!? I should say not!! Think of the workout you're giving your right arm every time you release your grip from the steering wheel, move the entire appendage to the right, lower it to that mousey thing, pull back to the left... JD, you're an inspiration to couch drivers around the world! :D :D

Lazy indeed!

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 am

Glenn wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:True, if you absolutely floor it. I like better response with less accelerator movement, so D works better when I need the increased response. What can I say? I'm lazy!! :oops:

Lazy!? I should say not!! Think of the workout you're giving your right arm every time you release your grip from the steering wheel, move the entire appendage to the right, lower it to that mousey thing, pull back to the left... JD, you're an inspiration to couch drivers around the world! :D :D

Lazy indeed!

My right hand rarely touches the steering wheel. It rests right by/on the mousey thing.

THAT is lazy. :lol:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 am

mogur wrote:Why? Full throttle acceleration is identical in both modes.
Jimmydreams wrote:I jump into D when I need fast acceleration, the right back to ECO.

I use Eco only when rolling down the hill. Eco is very effective in that mode - without use of the break it moderates the speed to almost cruise level.

D is better in flatter surfaces since it doesn't get into regen instead of just coasting (or you can maintain coast by applying slight pressure on accelerator).
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 am

evnow wrote:
mogur wrote:Why? Full throttle acceleration is identical in both modes.
Jimmydreams wrote:I jump into D when I need fast acceleration, the right back to ECO.

I use Eco only when rolling down the hill. Eco is very effective in that mode - without use of the break it moderates the speed to almost cruise level.

D is better in flatter surfaces since it doesn't get into regen instead of just coasting (or you can maintain coast by applying slight pressure on accelerator).

I dont have my car yet, but I hypermile in my manual shift volvo. I get 24-26 mpg city/freeway driving daily.
I use neutral quite a bit, and of course coast up to lights and down hills.
What is NEUTRAL in the Leaf?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 am

thankyouOB wrote:I use neutral quite a bit, and of course coast up to lights and down hills.

Neutral (move the shifter to the side and hold for a few seconds). However, when you use it you don't get ANY regeneration, so it's not the best way to go.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

sproqitman
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0196

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 am

thankyouOB wrote:I use neutral quite a bit, and of course coast up to lights and down hills.

There is a neutral, but you don't want to use it for coasting. I coast in "D" on the flats and slight downhills. If the hill is steep enough, I coast in "ECO" to control speed and take advantage of regen.

thankyouOB

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am

sproqitman wrote:

There is a neutral, but you don't want to use it for coasting. I coast in "D" on the flats and slight downhills. If the hill is steep enough, I coast in "ECO" to control speed and take advantage of regen.

thanks.
really? how come?

EVDRIVER

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 am

thankyouOB wrote:
sproqitman wrote:

thanks.
really? how come?

Don't use neutral, there is a neutral point of all drive modes with the pedal. People that are throwing the care in neutral are wasting time since the regen on the LEAF is extremely low off pedal even in ECO. There is too much hair splitting going on here, if one is not an experienced EV driver then use ECO and drive as you like to drive. It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 am

EVDRIVER wrote:It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more.

I can't make out what that means ... but, I don't like even the small regen I get in Eco while on flat road when not applying any pressure on accelerator. Coasting, the most efficient mode, should be easy ... something even my wife can do.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

thankyouOB

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am

Evdriver,
you totally confused me; too much jargon. can you answer these questions, please?

Don't use neutral, there is a neutral point of all drive modes with the pedal.
--"neutral point ... with the pedal"- means what?

People that are throwing the care in neutral are wasting time since the regen on the LEAF is extremely low off pedal even in ECO.
--I get regen, but what does it mean to say "extremely low off pedal?"

There is too much hair splitting going on here, if one is not an experienced EV driver then use ECO and drive as you like to drive.
--can you quantify and be a bit more specific what the learned elements are fr :cry: om being "an experienced EV driver"?

--This next sentence is so inexplicable that it can't be parsed:
"It is very easy to coast in a LEAF with the right foot that I don't see what the regen from ECO was not the same on "D", where it is needed even more."

please help.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”