DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Around town efficiency not as good as highway for me!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 am

On the energy efficiency screen u just want to maintain enough pressure on gas to not regen or use power.

Another point I hesitate to make due to confusion but neutral does lessen stress on the batteries when coasting in neutral as opposed to zero power mode while in drive
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:On the energy efficiency screen u just want to maintain enough pressure on gas to not regen or use power.

Another point I hesitate to make due to confusion but neutral does lessen stress on the batteries when coasting in neutral as opposed to zero power mode while in drive

so coasting is good?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

AndyH

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 pm

thankyouOB wrote:so coasting is good?

Coasting is a better use of energy than relying on regen if it does what you need.

It takes a certain amount of energy from the battery to get us moving. Coasting back down gives us the best range for the energy used, but slower average speed. It'll take some practice to get the feel for how far you can coast, so it's not going to return highest efficiency right from the start.

Some are suggesting we can 'find' a no-thrust and no regen point with the throttle - getting a feel for when the power is off but so is regen. A beginner can shift to N with little skill - it'll take a soft touch, familiarity, and awareness to find the zero-thrust point with the accelerator pedal.

If we're going downhill and need to keep our speed under control then by all means regen - it's much better than wasting the energy by using the brake. But regen isn't 100% efficient, so we don't get back all the energy we used to get us moving.

It's art and science - it might be an easy decision about when to transition from coasting to regen when traveling downhill, but the choice to coast uphill might be more challenging. ;)

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 pm

AndyH wrote:It's art and science - it might be an easy decision about when to transition from coasting to regen when traveling downhill, but the choice to coast uphill might be more challenging. ;)

:)

It would be nice to have a momentary switch to put the car in neutral, are there any untasked switches in a handy place?

I bet the Leaf glides forever in neutral.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”