Samaran
Delivery Date: 28 Oct 2015

Re: I Beat EPA's 2.9 Miles/KWh : Report Your Monthly Mileage

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:08 am

Update on my reported m/kwh since the end of last year.

Interestingly, the apparent "gauge error" which seems to have increasingly inflated my dash and Carwings m/kWh numbers in previous years, seems to have largely (if not entirely?) stabilized this year.

I should also mention that since May 2013 I have begun using higher tire pressures, up to ~49 psi (except during range tests) as opposed to the ~43 psi for my first two years of LEAF ownership, which I believe may increase my efficiency by ~2% to ~3% overall, in my driving conditions.

NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 am

Nissan installed new software in our car recently, and the dash display does seem to have been made more accurate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:38 am

I have a 2015 S. I get in general driving on Long Island (mostly flat) about 4.5 miles per KW. On the highway at 53 mph (nothing on) I get 5-5.5 miles per KW. When I use the heat (69 Degrees, two bars blower), It goes down to 3.5-4.0 miles per KW on the highway.

PS - I have been reading a few of the postings, and as a newcomer to this forum, I must say... OMG!! I cannot believe the microscopic calculations that some people have made of their cars and their driving! People, please, our cars are soo cheap to run, and we can charge for free on public charging stations. Who cares about the difference in some wheel diameters, etc. I bet none of us has ever worried this much of how much gas we were using?

All I care about is that I reset the mileage computer when I start my trip and that I continue to get a consistent "overall miles" per KW on my daily trip. When that number changes, I will look into a possible problem.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:36 pm

powersurge wrote:I have a 2015 S. I get in general driving on Long Island (mostly flat) about 4.5 miles per KW. On the highway at 53 mph (nothing on) I get 5-5.5 miles per KW. When I use the heat (69 Degrees, two bars blower), It goes down to 3.5-4.0 miles per KW on the highway.

PS - I have been reading a few of the postings, and as a newcomer to this forum, I must say... OMG!! I cannot believe the microscopic calculations that some people have made of their cars and their driving! People, please, our cars are soo cheap to run, and we can charge for free on public charging stations. Who cares about the difference in some wheel diameters, etc. I bet none of us has ever worried this much of how much gas we were using?
When your "tank" contains the equivalent of a gallon of gas, or thereabouts, small differences in efficiency can make a significant difference in range and the overall utility of the car. If your daily driving is well below the range of the car, then there is little reason to care about efficiency, save for avoiding the unnecessary waste of energy. One thing you can do to improve the mileage efficiency and tire wear is to keep the tires at 40 psi at least; I generally use 42 and others go higher (but cold weather in recent days likely has my tire pressure lower than that). The 36 psi recommended by Nissan is too low.
All I care about is that I reset the mileage computer when I start my trip and that I continue to get a consistent "overall miles" per KW on my daily trip. When that number changes, I will look into a possible problem.
That number will change as the weather gets colder or you have to deal with snow and wind. The range of the LEAF is significantly reduced by very cold weather and sloppy driving conditions, as well as running the heater, as you know. If your range isn't limiting — as mine is — it isn't a big deal.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

Beefjerkie
Delivery Date: 26 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 306621

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:25 am

Since I got the car in Dec 15, I been slowly figuring out the eco game with my LEAF. I do not have Leaf Pro stats, but just from the stats of the LEAF.

Started off in Dec with 3.7 miles/kWh (LEAF is too fun to drive!)
Jan - 4.0
Feb - 4.3

In my recent week, I been getting 5.6. I decided to just have the battery as the display and follow the little meter around the tree, and since then, I been getting higher numbers.

Since I only able to charge on L1, bigger the number is better for me!
2015 SV Red Leased ( 2015 - ??? )

jjgilham
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2016

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I've attached a plot of my miles per kWh for my 2013 SV. I drive about 1400 miles a month (40 mile round trip commute + errands). I have a meter on my L2 EVSE and I manually add any infrastructure charging kWh on a monthly basis. The plot in blue is "from the wall" and the red plot is from Carwings (which also matches the car +- .1 mile/kWh).

Using the car or carwings I get 4.0 in the middle of winter and 5.0 in the summer and from the wall I get 3.4 in winter and 4.5 in summer. There is a pretty strong correlation with the season. Efficiency does not seem to vary with age. I have had not yet lost a bar and I have about 38K miles and 2.5 years. The Pacific Northwest is an ideal climate for EVs.

2013 SV 3-year lease @ 15k per year
2016 SV 3-year lease @ 15k per year

Beefjerkie
Delivery Date: 26 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 306621

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I hope I can stick the landing at the end of the month!

2015 SV Red Leased ( 2015 - ??? )

rosier9
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2016

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:10 pm

What a difference a resistance heater can make...

Based on what my Leaf dashboard says I'm down to 2.7 mi/kWh from 4.0 this summer. This is with the heater cranked and aggressive driving so I'm not complaining. Just a data point.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”