Range of the LEAF in cold climates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck58

I am wondering about the performance of the LEAF when it finally gets to East Coast of the USA. Next winter, when days start with morning temperatures in single digits and highs in the teens (Fahrenheit of course) will require running the heater all the time during driving. Since the LEAF battery pack is not really actively heated should I be concerned? The car will be garaged overnight but will sit in an outdoor parking lot at work. Could the range be severely diminished? :x

Welcome to the forum chuck58. The mynissanleaf website has a Search feature located at the top of the page. It's just next to FAQ. If you'll search your topic you'll find a wealth of information because this has been discussed on numerous threads. Where on the east coast are you located?

I live in Maryland, between Baltimore and Washington.
Round trip commute if only going back and forth to work is 30 miles. Suburban roads with average speed of 45 mph. I try to stay off of the beltways whenever possible. This should be no problem, even if the weather is cold for the winter months. It's not as bad as North Dakota of course but January and February have many days below freezing. I probably could get away with every other night charging but at first i will do daily charging. Seems like the coldest days may yield 50-60 miles from the battery being very conservative.
We are trying to make major change with our vehicles. Looking to jettison a Honda Pilot and Odyssey. Both have considerable miles on them >130,000 so it is time.
Just purchased a Lexus CT200h that is averaging 45 mpg as our longer distance car. It is really a nice little car. I call it a hybrid with an attitude.
The LEAF will handle all the local stuff and errands my wife does.

chuck58 said:
I live in Maryland, between Baltimore and Washington.
Round trip commute if only going back and forth to work is 30 miles. Suburban roads with average speed of 45 mph. I try to stay off of the beltways whenever possible. This should be no problem, even if the weather is cold for the winter months. It's not as bad as North Dakota of course but January and February have many days below freezing. I probably could get away with every other night charging but at first i will do daily charging. Seems like the coldest days may yield 50-60 miles from the battery being very conservative.
We are trying to make major change with our vehicles. Looking to jettison a Honda Pilot and Odyssey. Both have considerable miles on them >130,000 so it is time.
Just purchased a Lexus CT200h that is averaging 45 mpg as our longer distance car. It is really a nice little car. I call it a hybrid with an attitude.
The LEAF will handle all the local stuff and errands my wife does.
You picked up that Lexus CT200h at the right time! They are going to be hard to get, given the situation in Japan, and also they'll be more expensive. I just wish the Lexus CT200h were a plug-in with a J1772 connector. Oh well, may be someday!

Back