Estimated "D" Range after 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Yes, this 100%-full estimation of "D" Range will primarily be a reflection of your "recent" pre-charging driving conditions and style.

I just got a 117 mile "D-mode" estimate!

Since the battery will be "full", and (for now) essentially the same "Estimated Capacity" for almost all of us, this "reflection" of "recent" (how long a time period, several minutes?) driving economy is at least interesting.

To start, my highest-to-date is 117 "D-mode" miles, reported after my 100% charge last night. I had driven home about 10 miles, over some hills, but mostly a gentle downhill grade, going down perhaps 800 or 1000 feet, and finally climbing about 100 feet just in the last 3 or 4 blocks.

I was surprised to see the 117 (relatively high) estimate after "gunning it" for a block with 4 occupants, and driving down a winding road into a "canyon" and back up as I "demonstrated" Maple's capabilities.

But, since the LEAF "quickly" forgets such "aggressive" episodes, I realized that Maple was just remembering the sweeter, more gentle "glide" back home. What a jewel to be so forgiving!

It's usually useless info unless you just drove a long time at a constant speed and you are going to repeat the same trip parameters. If you went down a hill for 10 minutes you will likely get 150 miles. This is an almost useless figure unless you are are repeating the approximate last trip parameters.

Not the same thing, acutally its almost the opposite, is how it behaves when you pull into a parking place in a large shopping center. I typically drive pretty easy and I get a large estimated range. If I am turning in from the street and I show an estimate of 60 mile remaining, and then as I go around in the lot at 5-10mph searching for a space, and then pull into the space and wait a few seconds, the estimate will drop as much as 10 miles. If I had not been paying attention and only looked once I was completely parked and ready to turn it off, I might worry about not having enough range to make it home.

So the quick forgiving nature of the reading can work both ways, it not only adds miles back quickly after a short bout of aggressive driving, it gives up miles quickly when consuming more aggressively. It all goes back to getting to know the car. Once you are accustomed to this you know when to trust the estimate. Because of this I still want to have a SOC meter that is 0-100 (100 segment) instead of the 12 segment SOC meter that is included. The two numbers combined would work well. I tend to use the SOC display to calculate my range, but it would be more useful if it had better resolution.

Are these range estimates in "D" or "Eco?"

I have seen 128 in Eco when I start out and today our Leaf had 117 in Eco, but "only" 106 in D.

I actually figured out why my range changes so much when parking the car. I watched more closely today and saw that when you put the car in park the estimate jumps from the eco estimate to the D estimate. what a system.

turbo2ltr said:
man you guys are featherfoots.

I *rarely* see over 100 miles on a 100% charge in ECO.

Drive it like you stole it! :)

I drove 'normal' to/from work today and found myself beaten into submission (read: 55mph and hyper-miling mode) about half-way home when faced with 4 bars, 15 miles up a steep hill, and the random number generator blipping all over the place.

I'm now going to pay for my unruly behavior as I'll only get 80% charge by morning as a result (uggh - still on L1) which means I'll be forced to hyper-mile it tomorrow or bump a few of the other guys here off one of the 110 outlets at work for a few hours...

Back