My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
OK. Forgive me if this has already been covered. I could not find it using forum search. How does one charge to 100% with L1?

Same was with L2, only it takes....(wait for it)...a lot longer!! ;)

The charging timers don't care if the charging source is L1 or L2. Just plug your L1 cord into a grounded 110v outlet, and wait until your Leaf sends you a text saying "I'm full!"

I believe there is a separate setting for max charge - "Long Life Mode" - a toggle between 80% and 100%. This setting is buried in the timer functions but I'm not sure if actually setting and using the timers is required for it to be enforced by the charge controller.

In other words, even if you haven't set a timer, if you were playing with the timer settings you may have turned this mode on. Just a guess, though.
=Smidge=

Make sure the timers are OFF, even if you never set them.

I charge to 100% with L1 every time I charge.

Since all my charges are "immediate-start" (no timers), there is no
convenient way for me to set the LEAF to automatically stop at 80% full.

garygid said:
I charge to 100% with L1 every time I charge.

Since all my charges are "immediate-start" (no timers), there is no
convenient way for me to set the LEAF to automatically stop at 80% full.
Do you want to stop at 80% sometimes, Gary, or is 100% what you need? We have been using the L1 EVSE to charge to 80% every day so far, since our Blink unit isn't installed yet. We just set a Timer once for 12AM-12AM and 80% charge, so any time we plug it in it starts immediately and stops at 80%. It couldn't be any more convenient. Until we get the L2 and second meter installed and go on TOU billing, it doesn't matter when we charge anyway.

TT

I'm thinking when I get my own Leaf in a few months (my wife stole mine! and I can rarely drive it) I might just set mine on that long-life 80% charge. Since I only drive 10 miles per day, and on rare occasion drive an extra 20 miles or so, 80 miles range should be fine for me. Also I plan to only charge mine with L1 since I don't want to pay for a second L2 EVSE. So i think between trickle charging and only going to 80%, my battery should last 10 years easily. Heck, by then my daughter will be 18 and maybe it will be her car?

adric22 said:
I'm thinking when I get my own Leaf in a few months (my wife stole mine! and I can rarely drive it) I might just set mine on that long-life 80% charge. Since I only drive 10 miles per day, and on rare occasion drive an extra 20 miles or so, 80 miles range should be fine for me. Also I plan to only charge mine with L1 since I don't want to pay for a second L2 EVSE. So i think between trickle charging and only going to 80%, my battery should last 10 years easily. Heck, by then my daughter will be 18 and maybe it will be her car?

long term storage suggests the ultimate SOC to be 40-60%. in your situation, i would charge it every other day. if you have TOU metering, better yet, set it to charge 2 hours a night.

Gary; i drive far enough and get up early enough that i frequently either dont have to plug in at all to make it the next day, plug in late enough that the car will not be fully charged, or have the opportunity to charge during the day to cover my needs. now i dont do TOU here so i have that advantage, but i have never set a timer or set it to 80% and only fully charge on average one day a week

TT,
You set the Start Timer AND the End Timer BOTH to 12AM (midnight)?

Then, when you plug in, it starts immediately, and NEITHER starts NOR stops at midnight?

Boy, THAT is not obvious!!!

Or, does it wait until midnight to Start?

garygid said:
TT,

Then, when you plug in, it starts immediately, and NEITHER starts NOR stops at midnight?

Yah, both start and end time are set to midnight (or any other set of identical times), and it starts charging immediately upon plugging in and has never stopped before reaching 80%, even if the charging goes on past midnight. I think I read about this trick in one of the Blink threads where there was some discussion about how the Blink unit has a timer and the car has a timer, but only the Leaf timer can limit the charge to 80%, not the Blink timer. Even though our Blink is not installed yet, I decided to try the strategy with the L1 charger and it has worked perfectly so far.

Try it--I think you'll like it, if your desire is to charge to only 80% and you don't care about TOU.

TT

ttweed said:
garygid said:
TT,

Yah, both start and end time are set to midnight (or any other set of identical times), and it starts charging immediately upon plugging in and has never stopped before reaching 80%, even if the charging goes on past midnight. I think I read about this trick in one of the Blink threads where there was some discussion about how the Blink unit has a timer and the car has a timer, but only the Leaf timer can limit the charge to 80%, not the Blink timer. Even though our Blink is not installed yet, I decided to try the strategy with the L1 charger and it has worked perfectly so far.

Try it--I think you'll like it, if your desire is to charge to only 80% and you don't care about TOU.

TT

This sounds like it might be the (non-obvious) answer to my question!
I'm trying to figure out how to have a charge timer in effect on the weekdays, but not on the weekends. In playing with the timers at the dealership last week, we set every day of the week to be on timer 1, coming on at 9:10 pm (for my TOU). However, weekends are off-peak all the time and I can't get that turned off. I changed Sat/Sun to be Timer 2, which is unset, but I always have to hit the button to disable the charge timer for it to start.

I would like to set 2 different timers for the weekdays (my wife and I have different charge needs) and have the weekends be untimed...but that wouldn't be an option if I have to "waste" a timer to charge untimed.

Back