Carwings as a locator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kataphn

Does anyone know if Carwings can also function as a locator (like lojack) for the car if it is stolen? My insurance company wants to know if the LEAF has this locator capability.

Kataphn said:
Does anyone know if Carwings can also function as a locator (like lojack) for the car if it is stolen? My insurance company wants to know if the LEAF has this locator capability.

If it is enabled it will likely be off by a mile:) Call Nissan CS, I'm sure they will have an interesting answer.

Well, I don't know about a lojack type function specifically. But the car has an always on GSM transmitter. So, in theory, it should be possible to locate it to the nearest cell tower at any given time, just like they can with a phone. Question is....would they be inclined to do so. I mean, it's not like it's terror cells they'd be trying to track here....it's a stolen car.

BTW, I had thought of the idea of f***ing with car thieves by continually running the heat or air conditioning remotely until it depleted the battery pack. :lol: It would be handier though if we could set the default temperature to be more extreme on either end, so that the climate control would just keep running and running with only the one remote command.

mwalsh said:
BTW, I had thought of the idea of f***ing with car thieves by continually running the heat or air conditioning remotely until it depleted the battery pack. :lol: It would be handier though if we could set the default temperature to be more extreme on either end, so that the climate control would just keep running and running with only the one remote command.
Nice, I like it! They keep telling us we're supposed to be able to set the temperature, so maybe that's coming... Then you could do it... :lol:

Seems this is a feature the Leaf could offer by sending the location provided by the on-board GPS to the CarWings service center. This could be accurate enough to make recovering the car feasible.

Randmac said:
Seems this is a feature the Leaf could offer by sending the location provided by the on-board GPS to the CarWings service center. This could be accurate enough to make recovering the car feasible.

Same thing OnStar does as part of basic service.

Back