How often should I charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsavall

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I could not find a link.

We do mainly shorter trips and so only charge to 80%, so often have somewhere between 30-60 miles at the end of a day. Is it better to keep the battery at 80% (e.g. charge it nightly) or let it go down to ~10-20% capacity and then recharge? Or maybe should ask it the other way, is there any harm to letting the battery get to ~20% capacity on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Brad

Ideally you'd keep the battery right around 50% charge all the time.

If you can avoid the bottom 2 bars and the top 2 bars by adjusting your charging schedule, then do so and your battery should retain capacity a little bit better.

Best is to keep it exactly at 50%, keeping at 20% does as much tear&wear as keeping it at 80%.. if you keep it at 50% you will probably maybe get an extra 3 months of life out of the battery at about 14 years when it finally dies, mebbe 6.1 months.

Thanks for the info, especially the link to the battery info page in "To charge or not to charge?" thread. Targeting 40-80% should be pretty easy for us. Then occasional full charges when we anticipate the need.

Brad

Back