Help me out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

704hov1095

Currently in line for a supposed June delivery (April 10 reservation, Sept order), and as finally getting closer have been paying attention to this forum re: range. Blissfully thought the car got at least 70 miles in all conditions.

I commute 29 miles everyday from south OC to central OC, currently using the HOV lane in my 2006 Civic Hybrid. Rarely are speeds UNDER 75 mph. Occasionally I have some business in other offices, adding another 12-13 miles, with travel at 25-40 mph. The return trip is of course 29 miles, but usually a little more congested so speeds are 65-75.

I have a 110 plug near the back door of my main office and could trickle charge 6-8 hrs if I had to.

I have no intention of getting out of the HOV lane in order to cut down my speed.

Am I going to make it, or am I justified in getting 11th hour cold feet and where the CNG Honda is looking like a better fit?

Thanks guys.

704hov1095 said:
Currently in line for a supposed June delivery (April 10 reservation, Sept order), and as finally getting closer have been paying attention to this forum re: range. Blissfully thought the car got at least 70 miles in all conditions.

I commute 29 miles everyday from south OC to central OC, currently using the HOV lane in my 2006 Civic Hybrid. Rarely are speeds UNDER 75 mph. Occasionally I have some business in other offices, adding another 12-13 miles, with travel at 25-40 mph. The return trip is of course 29 miles, but usually a little more congested so speeds are 65-75.

I have a 110 plug near the back door of my main office and could trickle charge 6-8 hrs if I had to.

I have no intention of getting out of the HOV lane in order to cut down my speed.

Am I going to make it, or am I justified in getting 11th hour cold feet and where the CNG Honda is looking like a better fit?

Thanks guys.

Well it's absolutely not going to happen with the speeds you want to run unless you trickle charge at least some. That much I can tell you unequivocally. Just how tight is it going to be.....I can't say for sure - I simply don't run that fast, even though our commutes are similar. But then I'd sooner sacrifice speed for not having to fool around with charging at work (yet).

I commute 66 mile round trip to LA on the 10 or 60 fwys at 04:30 inbound and 14:30 outbound. I can make the round trip at 65-70 mph inbound and mix of 35-65 mph back home on a 100% charge with 20 miles left on range. If I trickle charge at work, I only charge 80% and use about half of that getting to work. 9 hrs of L1 charge gets me back to almost 80% and I arrive home with around 40-50 miles left on range.

I think you will be fine making your shorter trip on a 100% charge even with battery degredation, and way good on a 80% charge with a top off at work.

I don't agree with mwalsh. I'm sure you'd make it without the side trips. With them, you'll be pushing it. But if you can trickle charge at work you should be good to go.

With respect, I disagree. He's going to be using going home what Mr Fish is using driving in. And then when he's driving in probably 20% more than Mr Fish. Then he wants to do the side trip? No way. Not without trickle.

Edit: Here is drees range chart (thanks drees!). I'd say it was pretty accurate from my own experiences

At 45mph you'd have 120mi range.
At 55mph you'd have 100mi range.
At 60mph you'd have 90mi range.
At 65mph you'd have 80 mi range.
At 70mph you'd have 75 mi range.
At 75mph you'd have 69 mi range.
At 80mph you'd have 63 mi range.

So total estimated range without trickle (and without climate control) at 75-80mph one way and 65-70mph the other would be 69-74.5 miles. Too tight for this wuss' liking!

Very interesting. It certainly sounds like I am destined to trickle charge at work if I go EV instead of CNG. Either way a minor lifestyle change: trickle charge for the EV or with CNG in south OC it means only 2 filling stations, and god willing they are always working until others, if ever, are available.

Quick question: the Leaf cannot trickle on a 220V outlet? We are completely remodeling my office and, thinking of the future, I cannot see why we won't eventually install a L2 "public" charger for 2 or 3 of us who go electric, so will be asking the contractor to put a 220V on an outside wall. Should have this installed by Sept-Oct, but will only be able to use 110V for trickle? If that's the case, will need both types of outlets.

704hov1095 said:
Quick question: the Leaf cannot trickle on a 220V outlet? We are completely remodeling my office and, thinking of the future, I cannot see why we won't eventually install a L2 "public" charger for 2 or 3 of us who go electric, so will be asking the contractor to put a 220V on an outside wall. Should have this installed by Sept-Oct, but will only be able to use 110V for trickle? If that's the case, will need both types of outlets.
EVSE Upgrade
Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V
Adapters for Ingineer's L1 to L2 EVSE mod NOW AVAILABLE

There is a modification for the travel EVSE that will give you L2 type charge rates from a 240v outlet. See my sig for the links and enjoy! :D

Why would you have to get out of the HOV lane to slow down? It's a lane for saving fuel, not for wasting it as much as possible. It is NOT the fast lane. It really chaps my hide when clean vehicles supposedly CAN'T use the HOV lane.

mwalsh said:
Edit: Here is drees range chart (thanks drees!). I'd say it was pretty accurate from my own experiences

At 45mph you'd have 120mi range.
At 55mph you'd have 100mi range.
At 60mph you'd have 90mi range.
At 65mph you'd have 80 mi range.
At 70mph you'd have 75 mi range.
At 75mph you'd have 69 mi range.
At 80mph you'd have 63 mi range.

I made this graph back in December and those numbers match up pretty well:

leafrangewithtesla.gif

Which is actually pretty unsettling because I know the model I used was very crude, so for a LEAF those range numbers are optimistic IMHO. Moreso at the lower speeds. I suspect the real-world performance looks "flatter."
=Smidge=

davewill said:
Why would you have to get out of the HOV lane to slow down? It's a lane for saving fuel, not for wasting it as much as possible. It is NOT the fast lane. It really chaps my hide when clean vehicles supposedly CAN'T use the HOV lane.

+1. Kind of annoying when someone wants to get up my arse at 80mph. I had someone in a Volvo last week force me up to 84mph before I relented and ducked out of the lane. :x

Most important accessory you'll need:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_242113-66906-UTK500830_0__?productId=3190815&Ntt=extension+cord&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dextension%2Bcord%26page%3D2

I bought one in matching Blue Ocean

what is the question here?

you should charge at work because that is what ALL employers should allow. people will see you plugged in and start thinking that it works for them. you also need to tell them how little money is going out of your employers pockets to charge your Leaf.

also, in your situation with unplanned side trips. dont be caught short. it only needs to happen once during a critical event in your life to put a bad taste in your mouth concerning EVs. do what u can to prevent that.

if your employer is allowing u to plug in, do it.

If we follow this logic, then there should be NO hybrids or EVs in the HOV lane since they get their best mileage and produce the least emissions when in stop and go traffic... Sorry, but the HOV lane is to expedite traffic primarily, which in NONE Hybrid and Electric vehicle does cut down on emissions.... Let the flames begin!

davewill said:

mogur said:
If we follow this logic, then there should be NO hybrids or EVs in the HOV lane since they get their best mileage and produce the least emissions when in stop and go traffic... Sorry, but the HOV lane is to expedite traffic primarily, which in NONE Hybrid and Electric vehicle does cut down on emissions.... Let the flames begin!
davewill said:
Sorry, that doesn't pass even cursory examination. If they wanted to expedite traffic, it would simply be a open lane that anyone could use. They specifically created the HOV lane to cut down on the number of cars and therefore emissions. You can't possibly suggest with a straight face that it's purpose is to allow people to go ten miles over the limit.

WA State does not allow any single occupant vehicle in HOV lanes with the exception of motorcycles. that is how it should be done, period.

now correct me if i am wrong, but was this about plugging in at work?.

a real discussion is how many of you Cali residents are writing your elected officials voicing your concerns over your personal safety because you have to share the road with maniacs who insist upon doing 75 mph in bumper to bumper traffic?

DaveinOlyWA said:
a real discussion is how many of you Cali residents are writing your elected officials voicing your concerns over your personal safety because you have to share the road with maniacs who insist upon doing 75 mph in bumper to bumper traffic?

That, my dear sir, is a damn fine idea.

Actually, I'm now in favor of reintroduction of the 55mph speed limit in urban areas, in the hope that will throttle people down to 65mph!

i cant find a good reason to break the law and speed in the HOV lane.
What time of day are you seeing 80 in the HOV lane? Mostly, I see 60 or slower.
Idiots who want to do 75-80 in the lane, can move over to the number 1 lane.

I get it that some want to go fast in that lane, but we are going to have to suck it up and not be intimidated.
In recent months with a tune up and not exceeding the freeway speed limit around LA, I have gone from 22 mpg to 26 mpg on my 50-mile commute with about 80% freeway driving. I do this mostly in the 2 or 4 lane, though there are plenty of times that 55 is all you can do in the 1 lane on the 405.

mogur said:
Maximum throughput on highways occurs around 45-55 mph if I remember correctly primarily due to reduced following distance required to maintain safety. And since efficiency is significantly higher at those speeds (regardless of the vehicle) when compared to 65 mph+... Logic then says we should reduce the maximum speed limit on all roads to no more than 45-55 mph in the name of efficiency and reduced emissions. Anyone travelling faster must then be penalized by paying a pollution fee and their trip delayed as punishment! :p

Back