In other SOC news - top bar remained lit longer today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
So here's the deal. Most days I'm used to my top bar disappearing after just 3-3.5 miles. The only way to make that bar last that longer until now, at least not without timing charge-end for the moment I'm ready to walk out the door, is to remotely activate the climate control while still plugged into the EVSE. This has a side benefit of giving the pack a little bump, restoring full range to that one bar.

Last night I did something a little different in that I had used only two bars over the weekend (so was down to ~80%), but still needed a full pack for the commute today. This is probably the first time I've charged when the pack was not significantly depleted. Charging started immediately on plugging in last night (which was a little odd, since I do have a timer set for 12am on weekday mornings) and so was finished relatively early - 12:26AM - plenty of time for some bleed-off from the top end of the pack. So imagine my surprise when my first bar today delivered over 5 miles (5.2 to be precise), with no change in driving behavior on my part.

Discuss.

Oh, no. It's definitely not to do with that. I don't charge based on end-time anymore, so it can quit when it wants.

What I was hinting at is the appearance of something of a boost by not needing to charge from a point of significant discharge.

Perhaps due to less internal heating, though at our L2 charge rates it should be insignificant... Cell leveling perhaps... Only Nissan may know and we know that are not going to tell us...

BTW, do you have the "updated" software? I've decided to forgo it myself...

mwalsh said:
Oh, no. It's definitely not to do with that. I don't charge based on end-time anymore, so it can quit when it wants.

What I was hinting at is the appearance of something of a boost by not needing to charge from a point of significant discharge.

I've definitely observed an increase in the distance I can go vs the first two bars as the car got older. I've probably noticed it most in the past 300-500 miles. I have 2500 on it now I think. I've always charged to 100% and don't have the update.

I am definitely getting further then 5 miles on my first bar, but it's possible because my first mile is mainly down the hill. I'll have to note how far I can get with it next time.

Two things come to mind.

First I thought secondary batteries did not reach full capacity until they were cycled a few times. Maybe that does not apply to Leaf chemistry.

Second isn't there a warning not to repetedly recharge when already near full? Just thinking the charge algorithm may push the batteries up a little higher when just topping off. May have a smaller effect when at 80% vs 98%. Just thinking out loud.

Funny you guys mention it. I was just commenting to my wife that we had run our usual errands this morning but still had all the bars lit. We are at 3200 miles and have the update so I just dismissed it.

smkettner said:
... First I thought secondary batteries did not reach full capacity until they were cycled a few times. Maybe that does not apply to Leaf chemistry. ...
I still don't have info specific to the Leaf cells, but will agree with this completely based on first-hand experience with other lithium cells (including one with manganese in the mix). I completely expect the battery to gain some capacity somewhere in a 20-150 cycle range before capacity starts to ease downward.

Part of the challenge we have trying to figure out 'exactly' what's happening is normal 'new car' hyper-sensitivity, changes in driving style due to instant feedback, software changes, and pack 'break in'...at least. :D

i rarely even have the last bar lit so hard to say. i suppose you dont have a graph of power output? is it possible that your charge was done so early, that bleed off caused it to bump a charge several hours later?

Back