5.1 M/KWH today--141 miles range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

At 11 am I started the car up and my estimated range said 136 miles but a minute into the drive the estimate jumped to 141 :eek:
Today it hit 99 in Phx but when I left the house for work it was 88 ..I set the AC @ 79 with the fan on low and I drove all the way in ECO mode...By the end of the night I drove close to a 100 miles http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5692178705/

Im starting to feel better that a one charge 150 mile drive is possible if my estimated miles keeps going up ..

mark13 said:
At 11 am I started the car up and my estimated range said 136 miles but a minute into the drive the estimate jumped to 141 :eek:
Today it hit 99 in Phx but when I left the house for work it was 88 ..I set the AC @ 79 with the fan on low and I drove all the way in ECO mode...By the end of the night I drove close to a 100 miles http://www.flickr.com/photos/60416291@N00/5692178705/
Im starting to feel better that a one charge 150 mile drive is possible if my estimated miles keeps going up ..

That's great Mark! A new record! :mrgreen: How many miles do you think you could get on an 80% charge? I plan on at least 100.

mark13 said:

So, you didn't drive 141 miles - but think you can ?

Is this after the firmware upgrade ... since the earlier firmware wasn't accurate in the last few miles and possibly overestimated.

But, 100 miles of driving with many more left is still great. How many "bars" were left ?

Must be nice to live in the flat area without needing to run heater. The best I've got was 3.6 m/kWh driving carefully on ECO.

I am getting a pretty consistent 4.5-4.7 with 50-mile commute that is 80% freeway. I use eco almost all the time, though I think D is very useful for on ramps and passing.

thankyouOB said:
I am getting a pretty consistent 4.5-4.7 with 50-mile commute that is 80% freeway. I use eco almost all the time, though I think D is very useful for on ramps and passing.
You must be driving below 60 mph, also there is no need for D at all, you can get the same power with ECO if you push the pedal a bit harder.

IBELEAF said:
thankyouOB said:
You must be driving below 60 mph, also there is no need for D at all, you can get the same power with ECO if you push the pedal a bit harder.

Not by choice.
I drive consistently 60-67 as conditions make it possible, and only under 60 because LA freeways do have congestion.

As to D, I prefer to "downshift" than stab the peddle to the floor.
I do use cruise control as often as I can. I never engage it below 60.

evnow said:
So, you didn't drive 141 miles - but think you can ?

Is this after the firmware upgrade ... . . . . . . . . . snip
To heck with theoretical range read outs . . . . get back with us when you REALLY reach out to those way out ther numbers. As far as I see, EDMUNDS is making most of us owners look really bad.
:lol:
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/05/2011-nissan-leaf-driving-it-to-the-bitter-end.html
Our red Leaf finally came to a dead stop after exactly 132.0 miles, 10 miles after the DTE gauge stopped making any promises

Man . . . my measly 121 miles (eight left on the guess guage) of actual range makes me look like a 2nd rate hack.

Hmm, I was hoping that each day my estimated miles would keep going up but after watcing that video I may be limited to less then 140 miles.. I would of loved to of seen what their M/KW was in the video ..

Im still going to watch my estimated miles and see how high it goes in the morning even tho I know its not 100% true..

IBELEAF said:
Must be nice to live in the flat area without needing to run heater. The best I've got was 3.6 m/kWh driving carefully on ECO.
Funny. I've mostly got more than 3.6 m/kwh. Infact on days I go on freeway, I get better mileage ! This is mostly because of the hill I need to climb on the way home everyday - so shorter my trip, the worse the m/kwh.

My average has been as high as 4.8 miles/kwh (as per the dashboard). carwings showed me at 6.9 miles/KwH. My ranking jumped to 97 or so.. of course that was until the weekend when I had to drive at 65 or so because my wife would not allow me to drive between 55 - 60. Hopefully my week commute will take my average up again.

Would like to see how this whole estimate works....

10th day of ownership ... IM at 5.2 M/KWH avg....I starting to wonder again if 150 miles is possible because I coast into all stop signs and traffic lights..

I was also thinking about the braking on this car compared to the Prius..I put a 100 k miles on the Prius before i gave the car to my sister ..When I took the Prius in for its final service they told me the Prius would not need new brakes until possibly the 150K mark..

I think the way the Leafs slows down in ECO mode after coasting to traffic lights that I could get 175000 miles from the brakes..

The other night I forgot to charge the car ..2x60 miles to work plus a few short drives ,9 digital miles left on dash..Sorry I just can not remember to reset the trip odometer :(

mark13 said:
IM at 5.2 M/KWH avg....I starting to wonder again if 150 miles is possible because I coast into all stop signs and traffic lights..

The other night I forgot to charge the car ..2x60 miles to work plus a few short drives ,9 digital miles left on dash..Sorry I just can not remember to reset the trip odometer :(

All right, 100+ is official and so am I officially pissed and have nothing left to do but having to schedule a service for what I call a serious under-mileage of the battery pack.

Here are the 5 shots taken on one of my commutes to work at 6 M/KWH average economy:

1000000518.JPG

1000000519.JPG

1000000522.JPG

1000000523.JPG

1000000526.JPG

Note that I lost 3 SOC bars within 13 miles of drive at 6 miles per kwh.
And 75 remaining miles estimate even though dropped significantly from the original 100 was still a BS. If I decided to fully discharge the pack I would not have gone more than 80 miles in total distance.

jason98 said:
Here are the 5 shots taken on one of my commutes to work at 6 M/KWH average economy:
Note that I lost 3 SOC bars within 13 miles of drive.
And 75 remaining miles estimate even though dropped significantly from the original 100 was still a BS.
Keep us posted. This doesn't make much sense. Even at 20 kwh, the car should give you 120 miles @ 6 m/kwh.

jason98 said:
< cut > Note that I lost 3 SOC bars within 13 miles of drive at 6 miles per kwh.
And 75 remaining miles estimate even though dropped significantly from the original 100 was still a BS. If I decided to fully discharge the pack I would not have gone more than 80 miles in total distance.

jason, just curious- could you share how are your charging habits since you took the car? Do you charge trickle charge frequently everywhere and anywhere or etc.

Not sure if charging habits could potentially factor into this situation you are currently experiencing.

mxp said:
jason, just curious- could you share how are your charging habits since you took the car? Do you charge trickle charge frequently everywhere and anywhere or etc.

I charge every night to 80% using Blink Level 2 charger.

jason98 said:
All right, 100+ is official and so am I officially pissed and have nothing left to do but having to schedule a service for what I call a serious under-mileage of the battery pack.
Definitely schedule the service; there is obviously something wrong with your car. But don't try to diagnose it yourself. "Under-mileage of the pack" doesn't fit what you show, since you haven't lost any pack capacity bars. What you have is an error in at least one of four different values shown: miles driven; miles/kWh; state of charge; battery capacity.

You probably know how far you have gone, or can double check in a mapping program, so you can eliminate that.

Your miles/kWh is extremely high, but possible if you are a hypermiler. Again, you know how you have been driving it.

Dropping SoC bars like that should only happen if you are driving 80+ mph or stuck in a traffic jam on a sub-zero night. Since you are in the Bay Area and our temps right now are balmy, it isn't the latter. Besides, that puts the lie to miles/kWh. But the error might be in something like a battery voltage sensor, so the BMS only thinks the SoC is dropping rapidly when it really isn't. Unfortunately, the end result is likely to be the same: the system will force a shutdown when it sees too low a voltage, no matter how much energy the battery really still has.

The last case is perhaps the most troubling: What if the battery really is failing, due to a manufacturing defect, but the capacity gauge says it is still in perfect shape? You take it in, and the repair shop points at that capacity gauge, and tells you you are imagining things. The car says the battery is doing fine. The worrisome part here is that the logic for calculating and displaying battery capacity may not have been as well debugged as most of the other systems in the car. Sure, they will have run simulations, but how many actual accelerated battery degradation tests have they had a chance to run with the final version of the firmware? Don't let the repair shop put you off; insist that they run their battery of tests.

Ray

in any of these scenarios, remaining mileage should be mentioned, but nothing more. the figure can EASILY be manipulated.

i have an estimate of 131 miles based on driving 40 miles and having "90 miles left" but did it by driving an 11 mile circuit at average speed of 15-25 mph. (was looking at houses and had 6 that were in same neighborhood. because of scheduling options with agents, we crisscrossed several times.

what we need is how fast you were going and basic driving conditions. with my car, there is no way i could come close to 120 miles on anything resembling normal driving, so very curious as to how you drove "about 100 miles" with 40 miles left.

planet4ever said:
Your miles/kWh is extremely high, but possible if you are a hypermiler. Again, you know how you have been driving it.

Yes, these 6 m/kwh were achieved by some hypermiling. No rush driving, very smooth acceleration/braking, 35 mph cruise speed (45 mph max), no A/C, no lights, no fan.

Back