Coasting the car in Normal drive mode and ECO mode..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

I noticed that when I take my foot of the pedal that I travel farther in normal drive mode then in ECO. mode ..I would say that in normal mode that I can coast 50% farther in normal drive mode over ECO mode..
In either coast mode the M/KWH is still 8 on the graph.......Do the batteries charge in ECO mode while coasting and that is what is slowing the car down ? .....When Im Hypermiling late at night the ECO mode coasting slows the car down so much that there is very little braking needed by the time I reach a red light..

Eco mode has more aggressive regen. That's why the car slows down quicker. You should notice more of the little bubbles on the dash illuminating to the left in Eco vs D mode.

If you want to coast longer in eco mode don't take your foot completely off of the accelerator. You'll find that sweet spot where it feels like it's free wheeling.

If you use the energy screen (zero emissions button, upper right button on the screen) you can actually see the difference between ECO and drive. With some practice you may find that you prefer ECO because you can coast by varying the pressure on the gas pedal.

-Matt

Lopton said:
If you use the energy screen (zero emissions button, upper right button on the screen) you can actually see the difference between ECO and drive. With some practice you may find that you prefer ECO because you can coast by varying the pressure on the gas pedal.

-Matt

"gas pedal"??? Can't wait for the day when our kids (hopefully) ask "what's a gas pedal"?!! (Sorry Lopton, only teasing - I'm so absent minded I'll probably pull into a gas station in my LEAF one day).

Lopton said:
With some practice you may find that you prefer ECO because you can coast by varying the pressure on the gas pedal.

I can't wait to drive my leaf! "Gas" (and oil) have become deeply engrained in our culture -- often out of sight. The cultural shift has begun, and I am enjoying participating, supporting, and watching! :mrgreen: Nissan calls that pedal the "accelerator pedal" in the owner's manual, but I think a better name would be "torque pedal"!

"Hit the torque, and let's see what this baby can do!!!" :)

It is the "Go-Faster".

The coasting "sweet spot" is available in D or ECO, but it is difficult to stay just at the "no-power" spot (as monitored by the Energy/Power screen), at least in "D" mode.

Does shifting in and out of "N" cause ANY problems for the car/electronics/motor/gears/drive-train?

Hi guys,

I have recently been looking into a similar thing as I am looking to buy the new leaf. Which gen/year leaf do you have?

Back