dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: Range Chart

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 am

bitflung wrote:In the end I'm trying to figure out:


Really this discussion needs to be in another thread and we need screeshots from leafspy so we have access to all the numbers not just part of them. You'll have to present all the data without conclusions and let us build the case.

If you have leafspy you don't need to use the range charts this thread is about.

But just as a quick aside it's all the same no matter if it is a Leaf, a Prius or a geo metro. Speed, temperature, tire pressure, elevation, etcetera. I have no problem driving 70 miles on a leaf with 77% SOH but then I probably drive slower than you and I'm not afraid to drive will into VLBW.

If you are stopping to charge as soon as the first low battery warning sounds you are leaving 20% or so on the table unused that you should be willing to dip into. One of the big advantages of leafspy is that it doesn't blank out below VLBW you know exactly what your SOC% is even when you have less than 8 miles remaining (or whatever the GOM says just before you switch to dashes).

aHr is the number to look at if you think the pack was reset

1 bar lost around 50 aHr
2 bars lost around 46 aHr
3 bars lost around 42 aHr

if your isn't in line with your SOH% then make a new thread with a title like "another used car sold with reset bars" and we'll dig into it there.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

kikngas
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:19 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 310377
Location: SE Minnesota

Re: Range Chart

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:45 am

bitflung wrote:so would YOU expect more than ~40 miles of range on a 100% charge given the above conditions? or would you hit ~40 miles, shuffle off to a charger, and think, "yup, seems about right"?


Well, for my 2015 S I get a lot more than 5 miles from LBW. You seem to only be counting the miles from 100% down to LBW, but you are comparing to miles to total depletion. Have you had a chance to experiment much below LBW? I know estimated range is a guess, but mine typically shows 17 miles, and I've roughly gotten that or more from LBW to turtle. That difference would put you much closer to in line with the expectation.

Flyct
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:04 am
Delivery Date: 02 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 307113
Location: Bradenton, Florida, US

Re: Range Chart

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 pm

kikngas wrote:Well, for my 2015 S I get a lot more than 5 miles from LBW. You seem to only be counting the miles from 100% down to LBW, but you are comparing to miles to total depletion. Have you had a chance to experiment much below LBW? I know estimated range is a guess, but mine typically shows 17 miles, and I've roughly gotten that or more from LBW to turtle. That difference would put you much closer to in line with the expectation.


Same here with my 2105 SL. From LBW to turtle I get 15-17 miles.
2015 Pearl White Leaf SL with Premium (Bose) package
2015 Lexus RX450h Hybrid SUV
2016 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Blissfully Retired and loving it!

bitflung
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 am
Delivery Date: 26 May 2015
Leaf Number: 023791
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Range Chart

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 am

dhanson865 wrote:
bitflung wrote:In the end I'm trying to figure out:


Really this discussion needs to be in another thread and we need screeshots from leafspy so we have access to all the numbers not just part of them. You'll have to present all the data without conclusions and let us build the case.

new thread is started here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21706&p=457087#p457087

If you have leafspy you don't need to use the range charts this thread is about.

fair enough, though i'm still unsure why my range appears to limited.

But just as a quick aside it's all the same no matter if it is a Leaf, a Prius or a geo metro. Speed, temperature, tire pressure, elevation, etcetera. I have no problem driving 70 miles on a leaf with 77% SOH but then I probably drive slower than you and I'm not afraid to drive will into VLBW.

i've tried to test my range below LBW in the past, when i didn't have a toddler in the back seat and was close to home. i made it to turtle then plugged in. this was in in warm weather (september, north east USA) and with high mi/kwh (~4.5) mostly driving ~25 mph on backroads. range was ~64 miles in those conditions.

If you are stopping to charge as soon as the first low battery warning sounds you are leaving 20% or so on the table unused that you should be willing to dip into.

ok, i'll take that. 20% is huge. i'll try to track with leaf spy more in the future to get a better handle on this.

One of the big advantages of leafspy is that it doesn't blank out below VLBW you know exactly what your SOC% is even when you have less than 8 miles remaining (or whatever the GOM says just before you switch to dashes).

yup, i see that benefit. though in practice it doesn't seem to help much on long trips. i hit multiple nissan dealerships back to back with dead DCQC stations and was well beyond my comfort level on a cold night with a toddler in the back and not knowing whether or not the NEXT station would be functional when i got there... having some buffer in the battery seems to be a necessity rather than a luxury in practice. you never know when poorly maintained infrastructure would have you driving another 20+ miles beyond your planned stopping point :(

aHr is the number to look at if you think the pack was reset

1 bar lost around 50 aHr
2 bars lost around 46 aHr
3 bars lost around 42 aHr

if your isn't in line with your SOH% then make a new thread with a title like "another used car sold with reset bars" and we'll dig into it there.

interesting. according to leafspy i've got 55.62Ahr (though it only charges to ~90% so that's ~50AHr effective. maybe that's what you mean with the above?)

convo to continue at the new thread.

thanks much,
-bit

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Range Chart

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:50 am

Does anyone have range charges for the 30kWh pack?
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10021
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Range Chart

Mon May 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Addendum: For the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77

babonbangke
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 305686
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Range Chart

Mon May 23, 2016 10:10 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Addendum: For the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77


Curious, is there any reason why the miles/kWh for the 30kWh battery quoted above is more generous than the 24kWh shown in the OP by 0.3 miles/kWh? The chart for the 24kWh only shows 3.6miles/kWh at 65mph.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10021
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Range Chart

Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 am

babonbangke wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Addendum: For the 30kWh LEAF, and assuming a warm battery (over 70F/20C temperature) and level roads with zero cabin heater use, no headwinds:

------------------------------65mph-------------70mph-------------75mph-------------80mph
--------------------------3.9 miles/kWh---3.6miles/kWh---3.3miles/kWh---2.9miles/kWh
--------------------------- RANGE--------------- RANGE------------- RANGE----------- RANGE
100% -- 26.5kWh------103---------------------95---------------------87------------------77


Curious, is there any reason why the miles/kWh for the 30kWh battery quoted above is more generous than the 24kWh shown in the OP by 0.3 miles/kWh? The chart for the 24kWh only shows 3.6miles/kWh at 65mph.


The original chart was purposely about 10% pessimistic.

garsh
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Range Chart

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 am

I'm at ~200 GIDs at full charge.
According to this (old? out-of-date?) chart, my battery should be at 8 bars.
I'm still at 10 bars.

I guess that's one of the "software updates" that Nissan compelled the dealers to install during an inspection.
Dammit, now I feel like I was cheated out of a replacement battery. :evil:
TonyWilliams wrote:Image
2012 Black SV w. G35 wheels, 9 bars, 83,000 miles

ahagge
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 am
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5175
Location: Northridge, CA

Re: Range Chart

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:36 am

garsh wrote:I'm at ~200 GIDs at full charge.
According to this (old? out-of-date?) chart, my battery should be at 8 bars.
I'm still at 10 bars.

FWIW, I lost my 3rd bar at 204 GIDs (on a full charge) and my 4th bar at 177 GIDs (and yes, I had the updated firmware). So I'd expect that you'd lose the 3rd bar very soon now. But it took me over a year to drop the last bar (since bar 3 dropped in late summer).
Ocean Blue SL-e
Per LEAF Spy as of 03/16/17: 12 bars, 238 GIDs, 56.3 AHr on new (04/30/15) Lizard battery
Orig. battery lost 4th bar at 177 GIDs, 43.19 AHr, 44.74 Hx, 65% SOH after 45 months

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”