How do I get CARWINGS to work on a US car in Europe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladalane

My US Leaf has been shiped to Norway and I am looking to change the SIM to a Telenor Connection SIM card. I have not activated Carwings in the US. I read turbo2ltr thread on where the nav unit is so I guess I will be able to switch the SIM. But does anyone know how it works? Somehow the SIM number I put into my car has to be noted into the Carwings data centre (Airbiquity?). Who can do that? Is it controlled by the Nissan dealers or is it at production?
I am planning to ask at the Norwegian Leaf delar tomorrow, but I am not expecting they know anything about this. But hopefully someone here knows....
/LadaLeaf
:)

Hey ladalane,

I will likely be shipping my car to Germany in the future, so I'm anxious to hear how your import works. Besides carwings, I am wondering about the yellow daytime running lights. I think these need to be turned off in order to get certified...

-Mike

ladalane said:
My US Leaf has been shiped to Norway and I am looking to change the SIM to a Telenor Connection SIM card. I have not activated Carwings in the US. I read turbo2ltr thread on where the nav unit is so I guess I will be able to switch the SIM. But does anyone know how it works? Somehow the SIM number I put into my car has to be noted into the Carwings data centre (Airbiquity?). Who can do that? Is it controlled by the Nissan dealers or is it at production?
I am planning to ask at the Norwegian Leaf delar tomorrow, but I am not expecting they know anything about this. But hopefully someone here knows....
/LadaLeaf
:)
If you are lucky, it will auto-assign as soon as you enter your carwings PIN/Password and it hits the data center. Of course, the SIM you install has to have text messaging and GPRS low-speed data access.

-Phil

FYI: The TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is located to the right side of the glove box. You have to pull out the glovebox, and the SIM is accessible under a small door in the middle of the TCU (black box):

pic

Just for kicks, here's the guts:

pic

pic

It's basically just a USB modem, the Navi Head unit is the "brains" behind the operation.

-Phil

Cool topic. I am also heading to Norway very soon. I will be shipping my car in July. Seems like we are going through a lot of the same things, so i'll keep monitoring this thread for new information.

My thread mostly contained power conversion/charging issues and can be located here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take care,

-Justin

Are there any updates on how this process was resolved? did you have to buy a EU TCU or did it work with the new SIM?

I also would like to read an update. I have waited more than a month and no reply from the local dealer about making a TCU from the USA, work in Canada. My Leaf was American

Hi everybody,

Is the any news to the topic?

I just imported a Leaf from US to Finland, and I have some trouble;

- I'm missing the SD card. This is major problem, not because of the map, but because the whole screen is inoperatible. I can't access air condition, readio, etc. I'm not sure if I should buy the SD card from US or one from Europe. The European maps would be nice but does it work? If not, the US map sd card will at least give me access to climate control etc, right?

- the car wings of course doesn't work at the moment.

What should I do? Any news and help would be MUCH appreciated.
I've spent hours of reviewing these forums and haven't found the solution yet.

Thank You in advance,

-Jaakko
Helsinki

My understanding is:
1) if you install a valid SIM card (from a European carrier)--and create your CW login, etc.--then you should be OK. The modem itself won't need to be updated until they turn off GPRS/EDGE in Europe (which will probably be AFTER they do it in the US).
2) as for the SD card, you will need to go to a/the dealer and have them (custom) order a new one specific to your car. Hopefully they'll be able to get one fairly quickly because--you're right--nothing much works without it.

Good luck!

Stanton said:
My understanding is:
1) if you install a valid SIM card (from a European carrier)--and create your CW login, etc.--then you should be OK. The modem itself won't need to be updated until they turn off GPRS/EDGE in Europe (which will probably be AFTER they do it in the US).
2) as for the SD card, you will need to go to a/the dealer and have them (custom) order a new one specific to your car. Hopefully they'll be able to get one fairly quickly because--you're right--nothing much works without it.

Good luck!

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

This would be more than great. The SD-card can't be that expensive and the SIM-card is also no problem. I will get the new SIM card today.

However there has been lots of discussion concerning the differences between the US and European versions, and how much difficulties people have had when importing US Leafs to Europe. The TCU unit (with SIM-card) has been told to be different, and and also the EU map card is told to be not compatible with the US car.

Can anyone from Europe (with US car) can verify that they have a working Carwlngs?

And about the maps; I've read that You really need a car specific SD Map card. However they sell some OEM cards here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-2011-2012-Nissan-LEAF-SL-SV-Navigation-SD-CARD-DATA-U-S-Canada-Map-3NA0C-/231135404531?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35d0be61f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can these work if they need to be car specific? It's less than 100 usd, attempted to try with one of these :)

jaskaryt said:
And about the maps; I've read that You really need a car specific SD Map card. However they sell some OEM cards here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-2011-2012-Nissan-LEAF-SL-SV-Navigation-SD-CARD-DATA-U-S-Canada-Map-3NA0C-/231135404531?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35d0be61f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can these work if they need to be car specific? It's less than 100 usd, attempted to try with one of these :)

One thing I DO know is DON'T waste your time/money on buying an SD card from anyone other than a Nissan dealer who can match it up with your Leaf.

As for the TCM unit: while it's possible there are some technical differences due to specific wireless deployments around Europe, a proper SIM card should still do the trick...assuming Nissan hasn't disabled European access for that unit.

Stanton said:
jaskaryt said:

One thing I DO know is DON'T waste your time/money on buying an SD card from anyone other than a Nissan dealer who can match it up with your Leaf.

As for the TCM unit: while it's possible there are some technical differences due to specific wireless deployments around Europe, a proper SIM card should still do the trick...assuming Nissan hasn't disabled European access for that unit.

Ok, thanks. Since I'm really new with this car, I have another question that might (also?) be silly; there seems to be two (2) SD-slots, both empty.
The right hand side is for map I assume (it says map). But what about the left one? What is is for?

jaskaryt said:
Ok, thanks. Since I'm really new with this car, I have another question that might (also?) be silly; there seems to be two (2) SD-slots, both empty.
The right hand side is for map I assume (it says map). But what about the left one? What is is for?

Not sure, but don't use it: use the USB port for memory stick (music), iPod, etc.

Stanton said:
jaskaryt said:

Not sure, but don't use it: use the USB port for memory stick (music), iPod, etc.

Ok so You also have the other SD slot empty? Right beside the map SD slot?

jaskaryt said:
Stanton said:
jaskaryt said:

Ok so You also have the other SD slot empty? Right beside the map SD slot?

Yes: I don't know anyone that has (successfully) used it.

Hi,

I have a 2013 Leaf. Carwings doesn't work for me as I am in the Isle of Man. Nissan say this won't work as Telenor has roaming on the the SIM disabled and they have no plans to get it working...

I was wondering if I changed the SIM for a local one it would work? Has anyone changed the SIM in their Leaf?

Also, I took the glove box out but couldn't identify the TCU unit. My question is; does it look different in a 2013 model and/or is it located in a different place on left hand drive car?

I just bought an American car here in Canada.

I'll try buying a new sim card hopefully this month and I'll report back. Seems like either nobody has tried it or nobody has reported back if it worked or not. I'll try to do both...

....Doesn't work.....

I'd guess that the unit is locked to a specific carrier just like a phone would be. Mine seems to be locked to AT&T and there's no option for data roaming.

Back