ladalane
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4015

How do I get CARWINGS to work on a US car in Europe?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:04 pm

My US Leaf has been shiped to Norway and I am looking to change the SIM to a Telenor Connection SIM card. I have not activated Carwings in the US. I read turbo2ltr thread on where the nav unit is so I guess I will be able to switch the SIM. But does anyone know how it works? Somehow the SIM number I put into my car has to be noted into the Carwings data centre (Airbiquity?). Who can do that? Is it controlled by the Nissan dealers or is it at production?
I am planning to ask at the Norwegian Leaf delar tomorrow, but I am not expecting they know anything about this. But hopefully someone here knows....
/LadaLeaf
:)

mikek
Delivery Date: 05 May 2011

Re: How do I get CARWINGS to work on a US car in Europe?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey ladalane,

I will likely be shipping my car to Germany in the future, so I'm anxious to hear how your import works. Besides carwings, I am wondering about the yellow daytime running lights. I think these need to be turned off in order to get certified...

-Mike

ladalane
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4015

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 am

The yellow lights on the side were ok according to the Norwegian DMW. I dont know about the rest of Europe.

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:35 am

ladalane wrote:My US Leaf has been shiped to Norway and I am looking to change the SIM to a Telenor Connection SIM card. I have not activated Carwings in the US. I read turbo2ltr thread on where the nav unit is so I guess I will be able to switch the SIM. But does anyone know how it works? Somehow the SIM number I put into my car has to be noted into the Carwings data centre (Airbiquity?). Who can do that? Is it controlled by the Nissan dealers or is it at production?
I am planning to ask at the Norwegian Leaf delar tomorrow, but I am not expecting they know anything about this. But hopefully someone here knows....
/LadaLeaf
:)
If you are lucky, it will auto-assign as soon as you enter your carwings PIN/Password and it hits the data center. Of course, the SIM you install has to have text messaging and GPRS low-speed data access.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

FYI: The TCU (Telematics Control Unit) is located to the right side of the glove box. You have to pull out the glovebox, and the SIM is accessible under a small door in the middle of the TCU (black box):

Just for kicks, here's the guts:

It's basically just a USB modem, the Navi Head unit is the "brains" behind the operation.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

corvy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:59 am

Any news on this topic? Anyone been able to change the SIM for europe use? :geek:

Path0gen
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2013

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 am

Cool topic. I am also heading to Norway very soon. I will be shipping my car in July. Seems like we are going through a lot of the same things, so i'll keep monitoring this thread for new information.

My thread mostly contained power conversion/charging issues and can be located here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11967

Take care,

-Justin

amtoro
Delivery Date: 05 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5972

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Are there any updates on how this process was resolved? did you have to buy a EU TCU or did it work with the new SIM?
---
2012 Nissan LEAF SL - Brilliant Silver
Delivery: Dec-5/11
Mods: Horn, XPEL paint protection film, AEGIS window film and VSP-off switch

Yvesm
Delivery Date: 13 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 005868

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I also would like to read an update. I have waited more than a month and no reply from the local dealer about making a TCU from the USA, work in Canada. My Leaf was American

jaskaryt
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2011

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi everybody,

Is the any news to the topic?

I just imported a Leaf from US to Finland, and I have some trouble;

- I'm missing the SD card. This is major problem, not because of the map, but because the whole screen is inoperatible. I can't access air condition, readio, etc. I'm not sure if I should buy the SD card from US or one from Europe. The European maps would be nice but does it work? If not, the US map sd card will at least give me access to climate control etc, right?

- the car wings of course doesn't work at the moment.

What should I do? Any news and help would be MUCH appreciated.
I've spent hours of reviewing these forums and haven't found the solution yet.

Thank You in advance,

-Jaakko
Helsinki

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”