Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: How do I get CARWINGS to work on a US car in Europe?

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 pm

My understanding is:
1) if you install a valid SIM card (from a European carrier)--and create your CW login, etc.--then you should be OK. The modem itself won't need to be updated until they turn off GPRS/EDGE in Europe (which will probably be AFTER they do it in the US).
2) as for the SD card, you will need to go to a/the dealer and have them (custom) order a new one specific to your car. Hopefully they'll be able to get one fairly quickly because--you're right--nothing much works without it.

Good luck!
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

jaskaryt
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2011

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Stanton wrote:My understanding is:
1) if you install a valid SIM card (from a European carrier)--and create your CW login, etc.--then you should be OK. The modem itself won't need to be updated until they turn off GPRS/EDGE in Europe (which will probably be AFTER they do it in the US).
2) as for the SD card, you will need to go to a/the dealer and have them (custom) order a new one specific to your car. Hopefully they'll be able to get one fairly quickly because--you're right--nothing much works without it.

Good luck!

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

This would be more than great. The SD-card can't be that expensive and the SIM-card is also no problem. I will get the new SIM card today.

However there has been lots of discussion concerning the differences between the US and European versions, and how much difficulties people have had when importing US Leafs to Europe. The TCU unit (with SIM-card) has been told to be different, and and also the EU map card is told to be not compatible with the US car.

Can anyone from Europe (with US car) can verify that they have a working Carwlngs?

And about the maps; I've read that You really need a car specific SD Map card. However they sell some OEM cards here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-2011-2012 ... 35d0be61f3

How can these work if they need to be car specific? It's less than 100 usd, attempted to try with one of these :)

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:22 am

jaskaryt wrote:And about the maps; I've read that You really need a car specific SD Map card. However they sell some OEM cards here;

How can these work if they need to be car specific? It's less than 100 usd, attempted to try with one of these :)

One thing I DO know is DON'T waste your time/money on buying an SD card from anyone other than a Nissan dealer who can match it up with your Leaf.

As for the TCM unit: while it's possible there are some technical differences due to specific wireless deployments around Europe, a proper SIM card should still do the trick...assuming Nissan hasn't disabled European access for that unit.
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

jaskaryt

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Stanton wrote:
jaskaryt wrote:And about the maps; I've read that You really need a car specific SD Map card. However they sell some OEM cards here;

One thing I DO know is DON'T waste your time/money on buying an SD card from anyone other than a Nissan dealer who can match it up with your Leaf.

As for the TCM unit: while it's possible there are some technical differences due to specific wireless deployments around Europe, a proper SIM card should still do the trick...assuming Nissan hasn't disabled European access for that unit.

Ok, thanks. Since I'm really new with this car, I have another question that might (also?) be silly; there seems to be two (2) SD-slots, both empty.
The right hand side is for map I assume (it says map). But what about the left one? What is is for?

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 pm

jaskaryt wrote:Ok, thanks. Since I'm really new with this car, I have another question that might (also?) be silly; there seems to be two (2) SD-slots, both empty.
The right hand side is for map I assume (it says map). But what about the left one? What is is for?

Not sure, but don't use it: use the USB port for memory stick (music), iPod, etc.
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

jaskaryt

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Stanton wrote:
jaskaryt wrote:Ok, thanks. Since I'm really new with this car, I have another question that might (also?) be silly; there seems to be two (2) SD-slots, both empty.

Not sure, but don't use it: use the USB port for memory stick (music), iPod, etc.

Ok so You also have the other SD slot empty? Right beside the map SD slot?

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am

jaskaryt wrote:
Stanton wrote:

Ok so You also have the other SD slot empty? Right beside the map SD slot?

Yes: I don't know anyone that has (successfully) used it.
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

Fizzy
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2013

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi,

I have a 2013 Leaf. Carwings doesn't work for me as I am in the Isle of Man. Nissan say this won't work as Telenor has roaming on the the SIM disabled and they have no plans to get it working...

I was wondering if I changed the SIM for a local one it would work? Has anyone changed the SIM in their Leaf?

Also, I took the glove box out but couldn't identify the TCU unit. My question is; does it look different in a 2013 model and/or is it located in a different place on left hand drive car?

Pringles
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 1942

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:16 am

I just bought an American car here in Canada.

I'll try buying a new sim card hopefully this month and I'll report back. Seems like either nobody has tried it or nobody has reported back if it worked or not. I'll try to do both...

Pringles
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 1942

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 pm

....Doesn't work.....

I'd guess that the unit is locked to a specific carrier just like a phone would be. Mine seems to be locked to AT&T and there's no option for data roaming.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”