BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Re: Leaf Charging Efficiency - Lab Test (and Idle power draw

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Does anyone know what the ac compressor actually draws power wise? I thought I read 1.5kw. Also what voltage does it run on? I would assume 300+ volts or is there some other off converter in there just for the compressor?
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: Leaf Charging Efficiency - Lab Test (and Idle power draw

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:28 pm

It can draw up to roughly 2kW from my experience, and down to almost nothing. This depends on the temperature delta (head pressure).

It runs directly off the pack voltage which varies but is usually around 300-400v.

-Phil

BrockWI wrote:Does anyone know what the ac compressor actually draws power wise? I thought I read 1.5kw. Also what voltage does it run on? I would assume 300+ volts or is there some other off converter in there just for the compressor?
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

MichelEcuador
Delivery Date: 12 Oct 2015

Re: Leaf Charging Efficiency - Lab Test (and Idle power draw)

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Dear Phil

I'm working on a project of Analysis of Nissan Leaf performance in high altitude levels (in Ecuador), I'm working in this Analysis with my University ESPE in Quito, Ecuador. I have been searching power curves analysis graph or data of power analysis for this investigation if you have any idea where I can find this information this would be really help full. Thank you really much.

Sincerely

Michel Ochoa

brycenesbitt
Delivery Date: 01 Feb 2016

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 am

Is there an efficiency difference between new and old battery packs?
In other words, for a given number of miles driven, does an older leaf end up using more electricity?

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 am

brycenesbitt wrote:Is there an efficiency difference between new and old battery packs?
In other words, for a given number of miles driven, does an older leaf end up using more electricity?

Yes, the resistance in the back increases as it ages. I don't think I've seen anyone test or estimate what kind of actual impact on efficiency that has though. This also means that more heat is added to the battery as it charges and discharges but again not sure if that impact is great enough to be significant.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:03 am

QueenBee wrote:
brycenesbitt wrote:Is there an efficiency difference between new and old battery packs?

Yes, the resistance in the back increases as it ages. I don't think I've seen anyone test or estimate what kind of actual impact on efficiency that has though. This also means that more heat is added to the battery as it charges and discharges but again not sure if that impact is great enough to be significant.

Theoretically, there is a difference because the internal resistance increases as the traction battery pack ages. Since internal resistance is still small compared to other losses, I did not notice a difference in power from the wall (per mile driven) after the new battery was installed in the 2011 compared to the old battery with 8 capacity bars. The 2015 is slightly more efficient in power from the wall because charging at 6 kW reduces the charging time which reduces the overhead losses from cooling pumps and active system modules. Charging efficiency of the 2015 at 120 volts or at lower rates on 240 volts seems to be about the same as the 2011.

Edited to add: Since regeneration is greatly reduced with a deteriorated battery, the efficiency would be worse for stop and go driving with a deteriorated battery compared to a new battery. My commute is mostly freeway (carpool lane) driving so I saw very little difference in efficiency between the original battery at 8 bars and the replacement battery in the 2011.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

CuriousOwner
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 2016

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm

I am finding the 90% Plus efficiency figure of interest. I am assuming that there is an AC outlet feeding the charger in the Leaf, and it has a full wave rectifier. Such a rectifier configuration has an efficiency, ignoring the diodes as far as I recall, about 81%. The 78% efficiencies make some sense. But am at a loss to see how you can get 90%, if you have a full wave rectifier. If you supply DC in, then yes you'd easily get 90%.

http://analyseameter.com/2016/04/full-w ... tions.html

My own analysis is slightly lower, but I am not fighting over a small percentage loss.

If you put a large cap on the output, you will get close to the max DC, but at the expense of very narrow current spikes, which some RMS meters will struggle to measure accurately.

Phil, any thoughts,before I pull my hair out on this one.

cliff
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Switching power supplies have pretty much replaced full wave rectifiers.
Switching efficiency can be in the high 90%.
Doing a google search, I see there are many articles on this.
Particularly where voltage multiplication is used, a full wave may not precede
the switch.
The service manual only gives a block diagram of the charger, so hard to tell
what they do.

arnis
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:17 am

Yesterday arrived home with almost dead battery. Thought that I will run it down to turtle for calibration.
Ran down to turtle (0.5kWh left). Charged it to 100% (my 100% is 21,9kWh, 95% battery SOH left).
EVSE power meter showed 23.1kWh of consumption.

I should mention temperature was a bit below freezing. Water pump is not running at this temperature on 2014 Leaf.
Also there was a defrost cycle during that charge cycle, consumes 0,6kW for 5-12 minutes, therefore subtract up to 0,1kWh.
It appears to get 21.4kWh of battery charge it used 23.0kWh. Holy cow :shock: That is around 93% +/- 2% efficiency :shock:

Charging at 230V/16A.

LeafSpy stats:
https://goo.gl/photos/TKf1UNRDCvhbRpps8
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

coolate
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 416807

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:54 pm

So I am looking to use a 300w panel to charge my car. I am only expecting it to charge a few miles a day, but I am trying to figure out how best to do this. First I thought I could use a battery and an inverter to charge at 200 watts or so, but it sounds like that would not even cover the charging overhead? Maybe I can charge the battery and use a bigger inverter to charge closer to 1200 watts? Thoughts? Thanks for all the number crunching and sharing! It's been a big help!

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”