WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

What I want in a Leaf 3.0

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am

There are good reasons to suspect that a 60kWh Leaf is due out in 2019. So for current owners of a Leaf please, what things do YOU need to see to make you buy a new Leaf?

My needs:

1) A secure way of knowing remaining battery capacity including history that is easy to access.
Secure, meaning can't be reset by a used car dealer or anyone else. A history makes events like a new battery install transparent to the potential buyer of a car. Must be accessible from the center console without special tools or software at minimum.

If I want to buy or sell an electric car, I need to know what the best estimate of the battery capacity is. Sure, I know that all measurements are not exact, so having either a stated accuracy (56 kWh plus or minus 2 kWh) or a minimum estimate (54 kWh, maybe more, but not less) is acceptable.

If I'm buying a car, I need to know what I'm buying. If I'm selling a car, I'll get a better price if the buyer can trust what I'm selling. A large fraction of the value of a EV is the battery pack condition. (23% of a new Bolt?)

2) Hilltop charge mode. Charge to 80% Or 85% Or even 90%. Or even better, give me multiple steps.

I want regeneration when I leave home. i live at the top of a hill.
On the rare days that I push range I'd like to charge to full. Make it easy to over-ride.

3) More leg room.
The center console intrudes into where my right leg would like to be. Please make it narrower.

4) A real battery temperature readout in degrees C and F. Sure, the TMS should be taking most of the temperature worries away. I'd like to know the actual battery temperature when driving up and down steep mountain roads, on long trips with multiple DCQC sessions, etc.

Ideally this should be a driver display, but I'd accept a center console screen with this and other "engineering details".

My wants:

1) 19.2kW L2 charging. Or close to it. Most useful out in the wilds beyond DCQC. If I stop in a campground and get a 50 Amp plug, I'd like to use the 40 Amps that I can draw steady state from this plug. When I stop at an 80 Amp J1772, I'd like to draw 80 Amps.

2) Socialize the car. Provide a way to record trips similar to LEAFspy. And a way to display somewhat like http://www.leaflogger.com/

Perhaps just a bluetooth to cellphone link with an open API for third parties to write cellphone apps. Or perhaps using the car's cellphone link. Or even something else. Technology matters less than ease of use.

I like the ability to show someone my trips, where, when, battery charge level, outside temperature, battery temperature, ... Think of it as a social link to the car, making the car worth more to the owner, and more attractive to non-owners. Allow me to automatically fuzz out exactly where my home is, and other points where the trips start and/or end, for security and safety.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: What I want in a Leaf 3.0

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 am

1. I agree, that would be nice, the car knows it, just let the average(or technical) person have access to displaying it :)
2. Agree, or just make it like Tesla has, where you can specify any SOC you want to stop at :idea:
3. While I agree and detest vehicles with a large console(looking at you Bolt and Volt :x ) I've not really had a problem with my older Leafs. In fact leg room was one of the selling points compared to other vehicles I looked at, still I wouldn't mind more, my favorite is something like a Nissan NV-200, I'd love to get the NV-200e here, and with a large battery pack :)
4. It would be nice, still if you have LeafSpy that does give you not only one temp but several temps of the battery, but it would be nice to have that built in.
5. Totally agree on this, I have a 50(40a cont) circuit at home but am limited to 27.5a with my current Leaf :( Adding to this, I'd also like the option to charge with a 3-phase 277/480v source used in commercial buildings, again like the stopping at a particular SOC% I believe only Tesla offers 277v charging.

Of your list my biggest want would be faster L2 charging, stopping at a particular SOC would be nice too although since both my Leafs allow me to stop at 80% I've been OK with that and haven't had to live without that feature like newer Leaf buyers.
I'd also not want the leg room to be any less, more better but any less and I'd be looking at a different vehicle.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am

To borrow from James Carville,
It's the battery, stupid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_th ... my,_stupid

lest I offend anyone, this is directed towards Nissan :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am

I'm not in the market for a new car since my 2017 Leaf should do everything I need it to indefinately. BUT, one thing I wish Nissan would offer is to make the heat-pump heating system an option for any trim level. I have an 2017 S and on the few days I need to use the cabin heat, I just cringe to think of how silly it is to use that much energy to just heat the cabin when a heat pump could do the same job with much less consumption.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

I would never buy a new EV from Nissan based on their corporate history and the LEAF but for EVs in general I start with this:

Will the battery retain at least 80%, preferably 90% of new capacity for 10 years ? If no, then everything else is besides the point.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 am

SageBrush wrote:I would never buy a new EV from Nissan based on their corporate history and the LEAF but for EVs in general I start with this:

Will the battery retain at least 80%, preferably 90% of new capacity for 10 years ? If no, then everything else is besides the point.

If this was true in Phoenix AZ, I could expect 80% in 40 years. Assuming that both the car and I live that long, of course. And I'm still able to drive. :lol:
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 pm

SageBrush wrote:...

I agree. This is my main question. Having the battery not degrade is more important to me than longer range. Other things:

Automatic braking
    Lights on more buttons so you can see them at night. Door locks!
    Ability to set the % to stop the charge at
    An app that works reliably
    Faster Level 2 charging would be great

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”