Did they fix the lock switch in 2015/16

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erby123 said:
I bought an OBDII but where is the OBD2 port? Ready for my Leaf Spy Pro app!
Thanks.
It's under the dash, about where your left knee might touch if you lifted it up while fully extended under the dash. It's a square open socket that is about flush with the underside of the dash. This is the reason you don't want an adapter thats too thick as it might hit your knew when driving.

Hi, I might have a (sort of) fix for those who don't necessarily want to change the behavior of the door locks, but just want to be able to find them in the dark.

First, pick up a couple sets of these glow-in-the-dark, vinyl, stick-on computer keyboard labels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170595952237?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
sticker1.jpg

In particular, you're looking for two of the padlock labels in the center of this pic:
sticker2.jpg

Carefully cut around the two copies of the icon in a circle/oval:
sticker3.jpg

Using a Sharpie or extra black vinyl, alter one of the labels to create an "open" padlock:
sticker4.jpg

The finished product appears a little large, but they cover the existing icons and fit perfectly over the protruding door-lock bumps:
sticker5.jpg

After some daylight, it should look like this, at least for a little while:
sticker6.jpg

I haven't tested to see how long these stickers will glow, but even if they fade, the vinyl texture gives some tactile feedback as to where the buttons are.

Hope someone finds it useful...
(and sorry, no, I couldn't find them in orange... :D )

I'm not sure where the thread is, but you can swap in a switch with backlighting. I bought one off of eBay for less than $20. It's from an Altima. The switch is identical except the window lock button and the door lock button are back lit. Super simple install too.

Can you summarize the installation? Also, using just one of the above stickers should work, as long as you know where it is in relation to the other button.

LeftieBiker said:
Can you summarize the installation? Also, using just one of the above stickers should work, as long as you know where it is in relation to the other button.

I would also love to know about this. Finding that button in the dark drives me crazy. Also, if anyone did try one of those stickers, I would love to know how they hold up over time.

I ordered these from ebay. Even if the glow wears off after hours in the dark, I figure I can feel for the bump. The thought is to cut one of them in a shape that makes sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Wall-Sticker-Glow-In-The-Dark-Star-Luminous-Fluorescent-Decal-Home-Decor/123032880070?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=423466169283&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If it doesn't work, I'm out a buck!

LeftieBiker said:

I believe all that I had to do was take a plastic trim tool and pop off the gloss black panel the holds the switch. Then it was as easy as unclipping the window switch and popping the new one into place. Then just pressing the whole panel back into place.

Again I'm not sure where the thread went, but all I did was go on eBay and find a replacement switch from an Altima and order one that looked exactly the same. I believe that some of the higher trims might have auto up and down on the passenger side as well, so I just made sure that the switch looked exactly like the one in the Leaf. Here is the picture of the stock Leaf switch that doesn't light up, along with the one I got out of an Altima that does light up.

2rwLynZ

2HW08zs

2K48TnQ

Thanks for posting the picture. I didn't know it was the whole assembly that you swapped out, I thought it was just the door lock unlock button.

Although annoying that Nissan would even bother making a non-lighted variant, I find the problem is easily overcome. I place the tip of my left ring-finger on the lighted window switch (A). From that landmark, my left middle finger falls to the switches above and tactile identification is straightforward; one bump on the left, 2 on the right.

Although it is frustrating that the buttons do not light, knowing the lock buttons is not an issue.

IN THE DARK.... Start at the top of the button cluster.. The top right button is to lock. Slide finger down from there, and the unlock button will have a 90degree cliff going downwards... That is the unlock... end of problem/

Back