Permanent solution to the foggy window issue?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLeaf

Though I've considered this solution before, it wasn't until I saw this little video that I thought how great of a solution this might be for our LEAF window woes in the chilly (and humid) northwest. This would seem to be the perfect solution for a full-window defroster (OK, maybe tricky to do on the roll-up side windows). Combined with the heated seats and heated steering wheel that many folks already enjoy (grrr....), there would no longer be a need to run air through the cabin at all in the wintertime.

There has been a number of cars with windshields equipped with metallic film defrosters. It would make a lot of sense on an EV. (The GM EV-1 had it) Problem is they do not pass radio waves, so your cell phone and things like toll transponders will not work well, if at all, so in recent years they have become less popular.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
There has been a number of cars with windshields equipped with metallic film defrosters. It would make a lot of sense on an EV. (The GM EV-1 had it) Problem is they do not pass radio waves, so your cell phone and things like toll transponders will not work well, if at all, so in recent years they have become less popular.

-Phil

I believe Model S has this feature, and there are a lot of complaints about garage door openers not working. They left a "window" behind the rear view mirror so that you have to put the transmitter there to transmit out of the car, and mount the FastPass there for toll road transmitters. I imagine it hurts cell phone signals and dash mounted GPS as well, although I'm not sure why you would need to use a Garmin in the Model S with the big 17" nav screen.

Ingineer said:

-Phil

Do you know if the style of heat previously used in cars is the same as aircraft windshields? I've noticed no trouble using a cell phone behind heated aircraft windshields.

Back