Make Carwings data available via API or download

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aatheus

I read a neat article on Greencarreports on Carwings reporting a bad cell to the dealer before the owner even knew there was a problem. It would be awesome if Nissan offered a way for owners to access their historical Carwings data, particularly charge/discharge histographs, via a download or an API.

Article in question: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082848_nissan-leaf-electric-car-reports-own-battery-cell-failure-via-carwings

I routinely download data from carwings and track it in an excel spreadsheet, where I develop it into monthly reports on driving efficiency. I use a template with macros and pivot tables in the excel to generate the report. Takes about 5 seconds.

The data is there for power consumption/use, but I have not found a download for charge data. Would be more accurate if captured at the power outlet than at the car. So I factor in an efficiency rate into my cost of kwh and use that report from carwings. I guess I could also create a formula within my excel sheet to do the same. But actual charge cost would be most accurate if captured by a meter at the wall. Which of course doesnt help if ome charges away from that meter. Thats why I use the method I have in place.

I do agree there is some room for improvement in carwings.

I realize that I am an “execute to results” type of personality and that I am data-driven and highly analytical. This is probably why I am so drawn to the LEAF and why I enjoy it so much. Being a geek, the advanced technology and available data is certainly part of why I enjoy the LEAF as much as I do. Even with the technology, CARWINGS data is not exactly 100% accurate. And clearly, the data displayed by the GOM is also less than 100% accurate.

I have read posts where folks mention that dealers view LEAF owners as meticulous and high-maintenance customers. But, if you think about it, we are more like Beta testers of new technology. Adding the fact that, within just three months of taking delivery, I have received multiple email surveys on my LEAF experience, and even phone calls from Nissan about my LEAF ownership, I feel like they WANT to know my opinion. Thus, I am detailed in both my responses and my expectations. So, don’t call us high-maintenance customers, call us detailed Beta testers that possess the valuable information and opinions that will help perfect the ownership experience and performance of the technology.

OK, I digress. Back to my point about CARWINGS data.

I compare my experience with the LEAF to my ICE. Two things come to mind. (1) How the sales people represent the vehicle and (2) How the vehicle provides the driver with data and useful information.

Whether ICE or EV, the sales person only works with what they read. I seriously doubt that my ICE truly operates to the sticker MPG. Likewise, my EV does not either.

My ICE has a display for mpg and range. However, I don’t use them, don’t monitor them, and never rely on them. Why? Because there is a gas station at every corner. I suppose that if there was only a gas station at my house and at my destination, and those pumps took hours to use rather than minutes, I would be much more reliant on the ICE to provide the range and mpg data accurately. Surely, if I paid more attention to that data, I would find them to be very inaccurate and unreliable.

My expectations for the data from the EV is much higher, Why? Because I rely more on that data to execute my route. Well, the ICE has been around for a long time and yet I still cannot control my ICE from my smartphone or from my PC.

Perhaps my frustrations with the EV, as few as they are, simply are due to my reliance on the accuracy of the reported data. And because I am so focused on the details, I am more aware of the inaccuracies and the need for more.

My hopes are that we will be part of the movement where EV technology becomes standardized; Charging stations become available; and dealers more aware of the vehicle performance.

iamwjh,

If you wouldn't mind, I would interested in knowing more details on your process works (download address, excel algorithm).

Thks,
zzweber

zzweber said:
iamwjh,

If you wouldn't mind, I would interested in knowing more details on your process works (download address, excel algorithm).

Thks,
zzweber

I'll second that.

And wow, looks like you really looked into this. I can never work out how to put a formular into excel to make it work for me....

Can you kindly email me your sheet/sheets? Would also be interesting to see how you go?

Would you be able to disclose your CARWINGS id?

Back