TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Lose the "Building Trees" on the head's up display

Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

If you want to have fun, coast along in neutral and then press and release the accelerator... You will see the tree-o-meter go from maximum scale to about 1/4 scale!
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm

jelloslug wrote:don't forget that it takes about 5 kw of electricity to refine 1 gallon of gas. And that's on top of all the power it takes to move the oil around before and after it's refined.
You really shouldn't quote numbers like that, because they aren't true, or are at the least very misleading. Here is a long thread discussing the matter:
7.5 kWh of electricity to produce a gallon of gasoline?
The conclusion reached there was that refining gasoline uses up the equivalent energy of 7.5 kWh. That's because the refining process is about 83% efficient. (i.e. about 17% of the energy available in the oil has been lost by the time it becomes gasoline.) I believe someone showed numbers indicating that actual use of electricity was about 1/3 kWh per gallon.

Look, I'm about as concerned about the climate effects of gasoline as the most extreme "lefties", but I don't think it helps our cause to play fast and free with statistics.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Goodtohave
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2013

Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 am

I am very self absorbed and couldn't be bothered to read the thread but judging by the title it seems everone here hates trees or something and wants them gone.

What will be left to hug?

Where will the Leafs grow from?
2012 Leaf SL
Her name is Maple...she is a Canadian Leaf

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

Goodtohave wrote:I am very self absorbed and couldn't be bothered to read the thread but judging by the title it seems everone here hates trees or something and wants them gone.

What will be left to hug?

Where will the Leafs grow from?

+1 :mrgreen:
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am

timhebb wrote:Trees on the dash are pure fluff, of course.

BUT, didn't CARWINGS online used to offer some data on cumulative carbon emissions savings (based on "eco trees" units or some such squishy metric, unfortunately)?

It seemed to me that the CARWINGS info was potentially useful and sound if it could be translated into pounds of carbon dioxide NOT emitted by one's LEAF. But now, logging into the LEAF owners' portal and peeking around at the data available, I'm no longer seeing even "eco trees" information on my LEAF.

Am I missing something or has Nissan dropped the feature? I know there may still be some "eco trees" info on the CARWINGS LED screen in the car, but I thought there was more online.

Anyone following this who can enlighten/update me?

It's still there

- Log on to the owners' portal

- click on "Show LEAF Status" (Silly Nissan programmers -- why would I have logged on if I DIDN'T want to see?)

- click on "Launch Carwings", cleverly hidden near the bottom of the page

- The CarWings home page should show you your Eco Tree Record

- Click the Eco Tree "tab" for a graph

- in Driving History you can see your estimated CO2 reduction by month or year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Goodtohave
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2013

Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 am

TomT wrote:If you want to have fun, coast along in neutral and then press and release the accelerator... You will see the tree-o-meter go from maximum scale to about 1/4 scale!

The drive thru line works for growing trees for no reason!

If there is a big wait I can get a full tree.

Makes me happy to know I am doing my part.
2012 Leaf SL
Her name is Maple...she is a Canadian Leaf

jelloslug
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 pm

planet4ever wrote:
jelloslug wrote:don't forget that it takes about 5 kw of electricity to refine 1 gallon of gas. And that's on top of all the power it takes to move the oil around before and after it's refined.
You really shouldn't quote numbers like that, because they aren't true, or are at the least very misleading. Here is a long thread discussing the matter:
7.5 kWh of electricity to produce a gallon of gasoline?
The conclusion reached there was that refining gasoline uses up the equivalent energy of 7.5 kWh. That's because the refining process is about 83% efficient. (i.e. about 17% of the energy available in the oil has been lost by the time it becomes gasoline.) I believe someone showed numbers indicating that actual use of electricity was about 1/3 kWh per gallon.

Look, I'm about as concerned about the climate effects of gasoline as the most extreme "lefties", but I don't think it helps our cause to play fast and free with statistics.

Ray

Actually, in the context where you would talk about how much energy it takes to produce gasoline the efficiency of the process and how much energy your end up with is irrelevant. The argument is that with an EV you are just shifting the pollution to the power plant. The rebuttal is that if you are going to talk about the process of making electricity then you need to put the process for making gasoline on the table too. Regardless of how efficient the refining process is you still have to use that energy to refine the oil and producing that energy is not emission free.

DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 am

Can someone create a poll for this question, please?

ILETRIC
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Personally, I watch the bubbles as to my driving efficiency than that half circle horse shoe thingy. And as far as the trees -- I never get to see them b/c we constantly stop and charge that car which clean-slates (clear-cuts) them!
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

CeeDub
Delivery Date: 22 Aug 2013

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:17 pm

tjlyerly wrote:I realize that many Leaf owners have some inflated sense of importance that they are involved in some great environmental cause saving the world, but the vast majority of people (like myself) view that as bunk. The more the Leaf can divorce itself from this environmental mindset (symbolized by the Leaf and Tree icons) the more it will appeal to the vast majority of people who are more interested in reliable economic vehicle and not some overly subsidized environmental project that is doomed to failure.

haha! True that. I just like the car due to it's efficiency and nice drive. I agree, I love real trees, not the dash tree, loose it. Gimme numbers.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”