Enhancement idea for a credit card like key fob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyffej

How about a flat key fob ? That could fit in a wallet? Maybe the size of a credit card but thicker?
That way as long as you had your wallet you could drive the car without forgetting to put the key fob in you pocket

Just a thought maybe its out there?

I'd go for a fob with no buttons on it. You don't need to manipulate the door locks unless you're standing next to them, at which point the buttons on the doorhandles work much better anyway. And the only conceivable use for the 'panic' button (identifying which car is one's own in a parking lot) isn't worth the rage and/or embarrassment one feels when it's accidentally pushed. I would much prefer that the fob be less bulky.

Has anyone taken the fob apart, and taken pics? They metal key probably uses most of the space, I'm guessing once you remove the housing, and this key, you just have a circuit board left. Depending on the cost of one of these keys, might be worth giving this a try.

lion said:
I'm guessing once you remove the housing, and this key, you just have a circuit board left.
A circuit board with no power wouldn't work across the parking lot! There is a CR 2025 battery in there, which is fairly thin (2.5mm = ~1/10 inch) but 20mm (>3/4 inch) in diameter.

Ray

FWIW, there is/was Lexus "card" fob (http://priuschat.com/threads/lexus-key-card-fob-compatible.89531/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). That one is clearly marked Denso and I'd imagine the chances of it working w/any Nissans are near 0.

I believe Nissan's fobs are from Siemens VDO.

A card with a battery attached would still be acceptable for me. And the buttons currently on the fob could be part of the app. I would love to be able to fit the fob in my wallet. My wife keeps hers in her purse, and I refuse to carry a purse!

As my house and mailbox keys are attached to my car's key fob, making the key fob perfectly flat but credit card sized doesn't do any good for me. Plus I already have too much stuff in my wallet, and unfortunately it's not cash :oops:

Now if they make an RFID car key that is as small as my grocery store's rewards program fob, that I would appreciate.

I also find the panic button on the Leaf's key fob to be far too sensitive, and has activated whenever I sat down with the fob in my pants pocket. For that reason I no longer keep it in my pocket, but I put it in the little pocket below the parking brake lever, or sometimes in the cup holder.

I also like the idea of a flat version of the key, for wallets and such. Like a security badge chip.
Another alternative would be to link your car with your phones Near Field Communications chipset.
People carry around phones as much as they do their wallet or keys.

Agreed, this is my 3rd Nissan/Infiniti with this Fob and my wallet has activated the panic button so many times over the past 7 years it drives me crazy! RFID chips are too easy to copy (so says Chase when they removed them from my CC and debit cards) I keep hoping Nissan will finish development of the Bluetooth key for smartphones. I always have my iPhone in my pocket anyhow.

A card sounds fine to me. I never use the buttons on the fob anyway, except by accident when it unlocks the car or sets off the alarm while in my pocket. However, it is critical to have an emergency key so you can get into the car if the 12v battery goes dead. There is no reason the two things would need to be attached to each other.

Ray

Back