In city cruise (maybe lock the has pedal?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

I think i nice design feature would be that the gas pedal "locks in" your speed until you touch the break pedal.

So, if you are going 35, on a flat surface, it turns on cruise control until you tap the break. However, if you speed up, if automatically sets it to where ever you stop.

The reason i ask for this is because i find it kind of pain to be constantly adjusting my pressure on the gas as i am trying to keep up with traffic, yet not have unnecessary jumps in my speed.

Yes, it would limit regen (you would have to touch your break first, or add a button on the steering wheel) but i think it would make the drive a lot smoother. Or maybe i just need to stop doing up such long bridges.

Hoan Bridge

You mean "brake", not "break".

Interesting idea... you should be able to achieve something similar by just driving setting a speed then using accel/coast instead of the pedals. If you cancel CC via tapping on the brakes, you can resume later.

Some cars have DRCC that can be helpful. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ijPeWms-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by Robert Scoble in his Gen 3 Prius w/DRCC.

^^^
Yeah, can be dangerous because the car would have an extra cruise control and coasting behavior. It'd be interesting how these two different CC set modes would be messaged/indicated.

Adding this feature takes away from using the accelerator pedal as a regenerative function, until you tap the brake. Personally, I really enjoy using the regen function. I manage gas pedal touchiness by keeping the drive in ECO mode most of the time.

iluvmacs said:
Limey said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
LOL! Gas pedal?

yes, gas pedal was what I was trying to type.
...and if the Leaf had any gas to use, that might mean something!

It could run off a Mr. Fusion 3000 and I'm still going to call it the gas pedal; just like I still roll down a window.

Cruise control never automatically locks in a speed. It requires a number of button pushes to engage and a conscious action. It also typically does not work under 25 mph. That is the difference and why an auto-pedal would be more dangerous.

Limey said:
TomT said:
I'm sorry, but it sounds like an incredibly dangerous idea...
I don't think anymore dangerous that cruise control for the highway.

I agree, in fact, Toyota almost implemented this, but then people started accusing Toyota of a runaway problem ;) All kidding aside, I do think it's dangerous, can't imagine lawyers letting Nissan implement that feature. It reminds me of my first RC car, which had a remote like that. When you let go of the throttle, it stayed in that position (same for steering), instead of returning like every RC remote.

The only pedal change I want is where you feel a click (almost like you feel it fit in a groove) when you hit the neutral spot, making it easier to coast @ 0kWh.

lion said:
I agree, in fact, Toyota almost implemented this, but then people started accusing Toyota of a runaway problem ;) All kidding aside, I do think it's dangerous, can't imagine lawyers letting Nissan implement that feature. It reminds me of my first RC car, which had a remote like that. When you let go of the throttle, it stayed in that position (same for steering), instead of returning like every RC remote.

The only pedal change I want is where you feel a click (almost like you feel it fit in a groove) when you hit the neutral spot, making it easier to coast @ 0kWh.

Yes, even just that would be helpful in keeping an even pace.

Back