"State of charge" light blinking IF charging port open

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veramis

Quickcharging stations have limited amount of chargers. Imagine going to a charging station, and all the chargers are being used. You park next to a leaf being charged, open your car's charging port, and walk off into a restaurant. When the other person returns to his car, he sees your car with charging port open, and because it is open, the car automatically flashes the three blue led's on the dashboard indicating state of charge, and he plugs in the charger for you. The car should also release the charging plug lock after completing charging of a car for PUBLIC stations, so that people can see a car has finished charging and move the plug to their own car. Electric vehicle charging stations is still in its infancy. These minor tweaks and some encouragement in good charging etiquette could help reduce charging station costs and improve convenience.

This is not Leaf-specific, but would like Nissan and evgo charging stations to have redundant plugs, for example 2-4 plugs even if they only have enough capacity to send full power to one plug at a time. In such a situation people could drive up to a charging station already being used, plug in the chargers in their car, and after the charging station has finished charging the first car, it can use an internal switch to redirect power to the second car plugged in. Or if the station operator prefers he can set it so that power is distributed evenly between the used plugs. Multiple plugs could also allow for the option for prioritized charging, for example in an apartment parking lot, someone sets his car to low priority since he won't be driving until tomorrow morning, but someone sets his car to high priority because he has to go out in an hour. This sort of time management can allow for smaller charging station capacity, kind of like a powerplant with less peak hour demand because some people agree to move their peak hour usage to off-peak hour usage. In essence, trade charging speed for lower cost infrastructure. Not suitable for all charging stations, but I think can make good financial and convenience sense in a few circumstances.

in NY/NJ you have to pay to charge. So unless the other guy pays for me it won't work.

Now, If there was a Bar Code inside the charging hatch and a bar code reader on the end of the J1772 connector the other EV owner could scan my barcode and plug me in.

(for the free charging states) You should have a Flag made up that that you attach to your charging hood that says please plug me in when your done! :)

veramis said:
... This is not Leaf-specific, but would like Nissan and evgo charging stations to have redundant plugs, for example 2-4 plugs even if they only have enough capacity to send full power to one plug at a time. ...
Blink DC stations work this way. There are two plugs and a second car can authorize and plug in while the first is still charging. The unit starts charging the second car as soon as the first finishes.

Back