Anyone with LED lightbar (flood/spot) mounted on Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyLeaf

Greetings from Norway...
Need to enhance the high beam light on my 2012 Leaf further (just installed HIDs (55w), and plan on mounting a 10" or 20" LED lightbar from Rigid Industries under front numberplate.
Anyone with comments on such placement? Too low? Other suggestions for mounting aftermarket high beam flood/spots on such a sleek front?
(sorry for my crappy english :oops: )

Putting HID's in the high beams is illegal in the states (might be in your country too), and probably won't help all that much. It's the reflector housing that's the issue there. I'd put back in the original bulbs and get proper flood lamps if that's what you're looking for.

JeremyW said:
Putting HID's in the high beams is illegal in the states (might be in your country too), and probably won't help all that much. It's the reflector housing that's the issue there. I'd put back in the original bulbs and get proper flood lamps if that's what you're looking for.

HID`s gave me approx 50% better light (guess much of the improvement comes from higher color temperature) - and I don`t think aftermarket HID in high beams will give me any trouble here in Norway, on low beams it is another story... law requires automatic leveling system and headlight washer to be legal.

Anyway... anyone seen a Leaf with some kind of after marked flood lamps installed? LED bars or more traditional lights...? I am a bit concerned whether the plastic (ish) Leaf front is good for mounting anything heavy or not... apart form the obvious question: How will it look?

I think TomT and a couple other members have LED light bars mounted around the grill. They are just daytime running lights. If you are looking for WRC-style flood lights, I haven't seen that. But you should totally do it because it would be awesome.

I put the brightest LED highbeams I could find in my leaf, they're supposed to put off twice as much light as standard halogen bulbs.
They definitely light up everything a lot more than standard halogen bulbs.
The other alternative was slave the high beam circuit to a relay, install 100w each highbeams ran directly off the battery or alternator depending on which one is easier to get to on other cars.
Is either one illegal? I really don't care.

I have a few light bars in my garage if I put a light bar on my leaf I would probably stick it on top with magnets so it's removable and power it by plugging it into the cigarette lighter.

Have you driven in Mexico where there seems to be a contest on who can blind whom with the brightest lights? I haven't since the advent of LED headlights but back in the day....there were folks who had aircraft headlights installed that would force anyone foolish enough to challenge the driver's lighting manhood onto the shoulder until they passed.

New mexico doesn't have vehicle inspections so people will drive around with badly aimed lights or inappropriate light source and housing combinations.
But the state troopers will pull you over if you do something stupid like replace your head lights with a lights with a light bar like one idiot did.
First time I saw this guy I was driving to work and saw a car with no headlights, and a light bar for seeing the road. A day or 2 later going to work, saw that guy again. But this time he had been pulled over by a state cop.
I have seen the car at least a few more times since then, no light bar.

I went and found the biggest light bar feet magnets on ebay for $35 for a pair. I have a nice little 1 meterish long curved light bar I never really used for anything. I'll stick the feet on there and keep it for when I go do stuff with the leaf off road.

I put the 52 inch curved light bar on the leaf.
It's normally on my tractor but I took it off while I'm completely rewiring it.
The light bar appears to reduce range by at least 10%.
Definitely don't want it permanently attached...

Yeah I got him so mad he can't even keep track of what post he's replying to.
This is easier than messing with stupid flat earth trump supporters.

Did another test run with the 52 inch curved light bar.
It causes at least a 10% range loss at 55mph.
It could be up to a 20% range loss at 65mph.
Definitely don't permanently attach one to the roof of your car if you need most of your cars range and drive on the highway.

Back