minispeed
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014

Re: Have B Mode as Deflaut Drive Mode

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:07 am

nerys wrote:That all makes sense with a mechanical car. It does not make sense with an electtonic car where they can do exactly what you say and then procide a simply menu option to let others do what they want.

The EPA states that the car must be tested in the default mode when the car is turned on, no menus selected no buttons pressed.

What I am saying is that they have built it in a way to maximize the EPA range then given the "menu options" which in this case is using your right foot to hold a coast and eco mode to map the pedal differently to make it easier. The people who figure it out don't sue cause it's too much trouble, but the people who don't hit EPA estimates do.

The engineers do not engineer the best systems, but the best fit for the average driver. The average driver is far from optimal.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

nerys
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 020441

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 am

Your stuck in a rut. Use forward and reverse and rock yourself out of your rut.

Now that you have done that. I do not give a flying you know what about the epa. This conversation has nothing to do with the epa.

I am talking the literal minutes it would have taken for the sodtware engineer to make a lot of things in this car a selectable toggle in software that would have zero impact or relevance to the epa or the average driver and would have cost nissan nothing.

I am hoping these car companies also get themselves out of these ruts and "realize" this regarding their electronic cars.
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

Travis
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 018542

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 am

nerys wrote:I am talking the literal minutes it would have taken for the sodtware engineer to make a lot of things in this car a selectable toggle in software that would have zero impact or relevance to the epa or the average driver and would have cost nissan nothing.

I am hoping these car companies also get themselves out of these ruts and "realize" this regarding their electronic cars.

Thats all fine and dandy except many people don't even know how to turn off their high beams much less navigate through a series of menu options to enable/disable features of the car (which they probably won't understand).

If these cars offered features like you suggest there is the real possibility of it backfiring.

minispeed

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 am

nerys wrote:Your stuck in a rut. Use forward and reverse and rock yourself out of your rut.

Now that you have done that. I do not give a flying you know what about the epa. This conversation has nothing to do with the epa.

I am talking the literal minutes it would have taken for the sodtware engineer to make a lot of things in this car a selectable toggle in software that would have zero impact or relevance to the epa or the average driver and would have cost nissan nothing.

I would say you are stuck in a rut. If you don't give a.... about the EPA then you underestimate their power. If driving in B changes the range of the EPA rating + or - by even 1 I doubt they would be allowed by law to give you the option of having it come on by default. So without any of us getting into deep EPA legislation or talking with actually Nissan engineers we can just speculate.

nerys

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am

except speculate is what you just did.....

pot kettle and all that.

if the end user can not find the high beams they are never going to find this menu option and let us not forget its in the stinking shifter so clearly nissan is not trying to "hide" it.

this has nothing to do with the epa and you know it. this has to do with entrenchment in thought and design.

adding options like this to a mechanical car would be potentially expensive and complex.

with an electronic car its just some code. simple code at that. very simple code. remember we are not talking about ADDING any features. simply a "toggle" for already existing features.

would be easy enough to have a mod mode where you have to enter an id code of some sort (say the vin number) to "unlock" options once you do that things become toggleable.

don't want the damned ac coming on when you turn on the blower. toggle this. want to start in ECO mode or B mode toggle this etc.. etc..

they are simply so entrenched in how they have made cars for so long they never "thought" about it most likely.

I would especially like to maul and eat the face off the programmer who designed the UI for the car. covered that "crap" up with a nice 7" android tablet. much nicer.
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

minispeed

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:29 pm

nerys wrote:except speculate is what you just did.....

pot kettle and all that.

I wasn't trying to deny my speculation, after all I said "we". Just stop bashing engineers and jumping to the conclusion that they couldn't do what you want because they are.... blah blah blah and think that for a minute they may have done it because they had to do it that way. Or better yet think they may have done it that way to make someone else happy other than you.

After all there are some people who want a product like this:

If you let them change settings and the car behaves differently with no understanding of how they did it or how to go back they may come back and complain at the dealer and book it in to get checked under warantee etc... etc...

You post to the internet.

Which costs them time and money?

nerys

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 pm

ok. I think I see what is going wrong here.

It is kind of my fault for mixing two things without clarification.

I am not bashing the engineers for missing toggles.

I don't even think it is their fault persay. I am simply expressing that I would LIKE TOGGLES.

the engineer I AM BASHING completely separate from the option to toggle defaults like eco mode

is the one who designed the UI on the center console entertainment/nav/climate control unit.

that guy I want to Bi*&ch slap in front of his co workers while screaming

HAVE YOU EVERY ACTUALLY SAT IN THE CAR TO USE THIS

because that guy is a moron. or was instructed by morons to do it this way.

I consider the voice activated phone system to be downright DANGEROUS on the road and the nav system to be utterly useless over voice command and not much better on the side of the road with the touch panel.

the actual nav interface once it is going is not to bad (though way to slow to adapt and reroute) but the actual UI the interface between the person and the nav system is HORRENDOUS.

totally beyond garbage. as if it is DESIGNED to give noobs and lay people a hard time to operate.

it is my fault for mixing those in this one thread. it really annoyed me lately so its bleeding into my conversations.

I in NO WAY am bashing the engineers who designed the driving interface or the lack of default changes.

I just see those as inadequacies that should be addressable pretty easily.

in fact the UI for what I can the DASH panel (the little display in the middle) while I would definitely do it differently IT is not bad really. simple elegant if not perfect and functional. UNLIKE the central screen. Grrrr

again saying they might get stuck does not hold water with me since I can change it already now accidentally by moving the stinking drive stick.

ie strawman argument. find a new one :-)

as for the apparent bashing. again sorry my fault for mixing engineers unintentionally :-)

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Maybe I should apologize to all for starting this thread.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

Leatherneck
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 314006

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:47 pm

aarond12 wrote:In the city with stop-and-go driving, I've found the "B" mode* increases my range significantly, more so than coasting. I can easily get 1/3 more range than EPA rating using B mode.

*I don't have a LEAF (yet) but I always drive my EV in its highest regenerative braking mode. This is why I won't consider a LEAF S. Even with the 6.6kW charger upgrade, B mode is not available.

Since you don't have a Leaf yet, you don't know what you are talking about. My 2015 Leaf S with standard 3.6KW charger comes standard with B Mode. My Leaf is the standard base model with no upgrades or options.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:57 am

nerys wrote:is the one who designed the UI on the center console entertainment/nav/climate control unit.

that guy I want to Bi*&ch slap in front of his co workers while screaming

HAVE YOU EVERY ACTUALLY SAT IN THE CAR TO USE THIS

because that guy is a moron. or was instructed by morons to do it this way.
+1
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 22K mi
Model 3 reservation (invited to order 1/18)

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”