Think we will get Google Auto Link update?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayFiveAlive

My wife has been looking at ICE cars and at the Hyundai dealer they mentioned that the 2015 Sonata will receive a free update to Google Auto Link come early 2015. I asked my Nissan dealer if the Leaf would be getting something similar, but he just said one of the standard "well, Nissan always strives to get the latest tech" blah blah. I would lovvve to get GAL in this car. The Nav system is pretty worthless now anyway and Nissan is on the list of companies that will have GAL... My fingers are crossed :)

For those curious about what GAL is: http://mashable.com/2014/06/26/android-auto-google-io/

well, Nissan always strives to get the latest tech
So we have a zinc-air battery with 3000mi range?
We have laser range-finders for adaptive cruise control and pre-collision avoidance?
We have thin-film solar windows?

No, Nissan doesn't strive for the latest tech. Like any company, they have focus areas on what they think will yield the greatest benefit.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Leaf. It's just far from "latest tech", especially anything involving the 2G cell service, or console screen.

http://www.openautoalliance.net/#press

According to that link they are members of the open auto alliance, which is what Google is part of as well for these infotainment systems.

June 25, 2014 [12:01AM]
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., June 25, 2014 – The Open Automotive Alliance (OAA) – a coalition of tech companies and auto industry leaders committed to bringing the Android platform to cars – welcomed a number of new members into the alliance:
Alpine
Bentley
--------Clarion
CloudCar
Delphi
FIAT Chrysler
Ford
Freescale
FUJITSU TEN
HARMAN
Infiniti
JVCKENWOOD
LG
Maserati
Mazda
Mitsubishi
--------Nissan
Panasonic
Parrot
Pioneer
Renault
Renesas
SEAT
Škoda
Subaru
Suzuki
Symphony Teleca
Volkswagen
Volvo

If they do integrate Android Auto into the Leaf, Google will need to add ECO MODE navigation. If Google Maps had ECO routing, I'd ditch the Leaf's system completely and just use the touch screen as a suction cup mounting location.

As a side note, why don't car companies put suction cup mounting points on the dash so you can put your phone somewhere that doesn't take your eyes off the road (cup holder mount) and that doesn't obscure your view (windshield mount).

Back