2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Re: Defrost AND Recirc

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:43 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:...In fact, when these cars are new the interiors out-gas quite a bit, and the air would quickly become pretty toxic. ...

The 2011 upholstery made from recycled materials stunk horribly for more than a year. So bad I left the windows open with it parked in the garage and left it outside with the windows open in the sun when possible.
Worst off gas I have ever smelled in a new car by an order of magnitude.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Zootjeff
Delivery Date: 24 Dec 2013

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:57 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You wouldn't like that situation as the air inside the car would get stale very quickly.

No, Actually I would like that situation.. He is talking about the ability to Mod the recirc and choose. Having a choice to turn it on or off is always better than not having the choice with this feature.

Diesel truck puts up a black plume? I'll take the the new car smell over that any day. By not having the ability to override the recirc disable in defrost mode, Nissan is making us choose between health and safety. You can have your windows fog up because you want to breathe, or you can pollute your lungs and get light headed, but still be able to see clearly out your front window. There is no reason for them to make this feature that Draconian. It is just a poor engineering decision and it would be so easy for them to fix it..

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Zootjeff wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:You wouldn't like that situation as the air inside the car would get stale very quickly.

No, Actually I would like that situation.. He is talking about the ability to Mod the recirc and choose. Having a choice to turn it on or off is always better than not having the choice with this feature.

Diesel truck puts up a black plume? I'll take the the new car smell over that any day. By not having the ability to override the recirc disable in defrost mode, Nissan is making us choose between health and safety. You can have your windows fog up because you want to breathe, or you can pollute your lungs and get light headed, but still be able to see clearly out your front window. There is no reason for them to make this feature that Draconian. It is just a poor engineering decision and it would be so easy for them to fix it..

It looks like you didn't read his post, or most of the other ones. We all want to have Recirculate as an option, but he wrote that he wanted to put it in Recirculate and 'unplug the servo' to keep it in that mode 'all the time'. *That* is a bad idea.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

LeftieBiker

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

TimLee wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:...In fact, when these cars are new the interiors out-gas quite a bit, and the air would quickly become pretty toxic. ...

The 2011 upholstery made from recycled materials stunk horribly for more than a year. So bad I left the windows open with it parked in the garage and left it outside with the windows open in the sun when possible.
Worst off gas I have ever smelled in a new car by an order of magnitude.

I agree. My 2013 SV was also terrible for most of the first year. It's not just how bad it smells, it's also how *long* it smells...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Zootjeff

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: It looks like you didn't read his post, or most of the other ones. We all want to have Recirculate as an option, but he wrote that he wanted to put it in Recirculate and 'unplug the servo' to keep it in that mode 'all the time'. *That* is a bad idea.

Tushe! I didn't apparently read it! I took away that he wanted a disconnect "switch". Putting a disconnect sometimes means a switch, but that is clearly not what he said. Sorry.

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:We all want to have Recirculate as an option, but he wrote that he wanted to put it in Recirculate and 'unplug the servo' to keep it in that mode 'all the time'. *That* is a bad idea.

Sorry that was me and I admit most of the time it would be a bad idea. And yes I should have been more clear, I was thinking if it was as simple as being in re-circ mode and then flipping an added switch to disconnect the servo so it would stay in that position and then being able to switch it back on or to "normal" as needed. However if you have ever driven in winter at highway speeds, even on re-circ the car is FAR for air tight ;)

I like the idea that the default would shut off re-circ, but if you then pressed it again it would go in to re-circ. Its not like most people would ever do that by accident and you would have to do it each time you changed the system. I liked our old Mazda that had a manual lever that physically moved from re-circ to fresh air and you could move it half way or where ever and you could change it for any setting, but I am sure there were a lot of shop calls that people couldn't keep the windshield clear because they forgot it was in re-circ mode or didn't turn the compressor on.

The bottom line it would be nice to be able to get it to do what you want, yet still make it fool proof for most folks :)
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - 8 L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 170k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013

Lambtron
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 6977

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:35 am

Does anyone know how to have the 2011 HVAC system set "Fresh Air" as the default? The owners manual only explains how to make it "Automatic". I want it on all the time.

Zootjeff

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 am

Did they ever fix this re-circ design flaw in later models?

LeftieBiker

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:38 am

Zootjeff wrote:Did they ever fix this re-circ design flaw in later models?

I don't think so, but there is 'partial recirculate' mode, in which you can hold the Recirc button in for 2 seconds while in floor only mode (or any other mode that allows recirculation) and after 2 flashes of the light it turns off, leaving the intake partially open. By selecting Floor only, fan speed of 2 or higher, and partial recirculate, you can keep the windshield clear with much less outside air brought in.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”