jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Two "I want to meet the engineer" foibles for my 2013 Leaf!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 am

cwerdna wrote:OP, I guess if you really want #1, you'd want to buy/lease a BMW i3. It has a stalk on the right that you twist forward to go into D and twist backwards for R.

The Model S has the same stalk.

After driving the S for a few days and going back to the LEAF, I inevitably turn on the wipers when I want to go forward.

And then when I switch back to the S, I inevitably put the car in N when I go to turn on the wipers.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

JohnKuthe
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2017

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 pm

jlv wrote:
cwerdna wrote:OP, I guess if you really want #1, you'd want to buy/lease a BMW i3. It has a stalk on the right that you twist forward to go into D and twist backwards for R.

After driving the S for a few days and going back to the LEAF, I inevitably turn on the wipers when I want to go forward.

And then when I switch back to the S, I inevitably put the car in N when I go to turn on the wipers.

I have similar stalk confusion when I switch between my 2013 Nissan Leaf and my 2006 Grand Caravan!

John Kuthe...

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 pm

jlv wrote:

Huh? The Model S had a shifter from the Mercedes parts bin. Not sure about now. But, this is what's in https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/fil ... _en_us.pdf that I just download on page 42:
model-s-shifter.png

Reverse
Push the lever all the way up and release.
Neutral
Push the lever up or down to the first position
and release to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows
Model S to roll freely.
Drive
Push the lever all the way down and release.

The Mercedes shifter and what I see in the manual are nothing like the i3's shifter. The i3's shifter conventions seem like what the OP would want. Skip to ~1:16 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruPycVRFUM. I've never heard of the Model S at any point in time having a shifter like the aforementioned i3 shifter.

And, for kicks, compare to some other BMWs like at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gKb_E1q2Q.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 am

It's just a selector. Don't try to read too much into it. ;)

I noticed you're still working with polymers.

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:15 am

garsh wrote:
JohnKuthe wrote:1. The Forward "gear shiftie" thing should move forward for forward, etc. NOT Vice Versa like it is now, DUMB!!

It's a relic from old manual transmissions.
For many of those, reverse gear was left-and-forward, while first gear was left-and-backward.

The LEAF shift pattern always seemed natural to me. If you were standing behind a pole and wanted to move yourself forward you'd pull your arm back and vice versa. That's the way I've always thought about it.

That image might be a GM Saginaw 3-speed shift knob from the late 60's. I had that shift pattern in a 1968 Camaro. I was used to driving a standard "H" pattern 4-speed previous. For days after I bought that Camaro I would stop a lights and throw the damn thing in reverse instead of 1st. People behind me would honk and flash their lights thinking I was going to pull an "American Graffiti" on them. :oops:
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

gshepherd
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 am

I agree the LEAF shifter could be more intuitive. While it meets the letter of the US FMVSS of position order, it is unusual enough to trip most people up at first (with the exception of Prius drivers). In a regular automatic, you sometimes pull back, and sometimes push forward to get to the R position. At least the LEAF is dead-nuts consistent with R always a push-forward movement, and D always a pull-back movement.

Having previously owned a 2004 Prius, the LEAF shifter feels no different to me. It is, however, easier to quickly access as it is always at hand, whereas the Prius shifter was more of a finger-stretch-from-the-steering-wheel.

If Nissan re-oriented the shift positions at this point, there could be confusion from LEAF drivers already accustomed to the current setup, especially two-LEAF households and valets. Really, it would need to be a re-imagining of the shifter altogether. I like the BMW i3's setup: roll forward to D, backwards for R. It's also different enough to not be confused with other stalks on the column. I test-drove an i3 for a few days and found the twist-grip shifter to be quite intuitive and satisfying. The only knock against it was the illuminated PRND position indicators could be hidden behind the steering wheel, and some people would find the momentary action confusing vs. if it physically stayed in the selected position.

As to the Cruise Control on/off switch, it's likely there for safety, so it's not "live" until you enable it. However, other cars I've driven remember that it is enabled between restarts.
2016 LEAF SV

JohnKuthe

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 am

gshepherd wrote:...
As to the Cruise Control on/off switch, it's likely there for safety, so it's not "live" until you enable it. However, other cars I've driven remember that it is enabled between restarts.

Exactly! The cruise control circuitry should be ON anytime the motor/engine is ON, just in case the driver wants to use it! Many other motor/engine functions begin automatically, why not cruise control? It;s be pretty sad if the driver had to MANUALLY enable each and every one of the motor/engine's functions, ya THINK??!! I do! All the time!!

John Kuthe...

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am

JohnKuthe wrote:
gshepherd wrote:...

Exactly! The cruise control circuitry should be ON anytime the motor/engine is ON, just in case the driver wants to use it! Many other motor/engine functions begin automatically, why not cruise control? It;s be pretty sad if the driver had to MANUALLY enable each and every one of the motor/engine's functions, ya THINK??!! I do! All the time!!

John Kuthe...

He wrote that the cruise stayed on after a shutoff when "enabled" - NOT that it was always on. Big difference, and even that setup is dangerous if the car has more than one driver.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 pm

It's not the engineers as much as the lawyers that want the driver to intentionally turn on the cruise control every time the car is restarted.

This is the same issue with the Adaptive Cruise Control and the adjustable following distance setting. Its default is the furthest distance, and if you want it to be closer, the driver has to set it so.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

JohnKuthe

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:51 pm

OrientExpress wrote:It's not the engineers as much as the lawyers that want the driver to intentionally turn on the cruise control every time the car is restarted.

This is the same issue with the Adaptive Cruise Control and the adjustable following distance setting. Its default is the furthest distance, and if you want it to be closer, the driver has to set it so.

If one wants a self-driving car, one can take a BUS! Or a cab. Or a train! THEY are existing NOW, are cheap and WORK exceedingly well!

John Kuthe...

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”