smartphone app enhancements

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsbca

This is something that hopefully wouldn't have to wait for the Gen 2 car so I didn't tack on to that thread -

The app lets you initiate charging remotely, but it doesn't let you stop it, nor does it let you specify a charge %. It should be able to stop charging and/or set set a percentage.

Last night we arrived home after our regular (80%) recharge timer start time, so we plugged in but of course the car didn't start charging - the options at that point are:

Push timer override, let it start, and go to bed - resulting in a 100% charge
Fire up the Nav unit interface, program in a new 80% timer (or edit current timer) to start in a few minutes, then go back the next day and delete/re-edit.
Start charging from the iPhone - resulting in a 100% charge.

If the iPhone app allowed me to stop the charge, I could have monitored from in the house (or even made an estimate and set a phone alarm) so I could stop the charging from bed later on that night. Alternatively if it had a "start charging, to 80%" request mode then I'd be done in one step. As it was I decided to stop the charge, since we weren't really that low, and decide the next day what to do and when.

The app does let you start AND stop climate control, as well as set a climate control timer - the same should be possible for charging, yes?

wsbca said:
This is something that hopefully wouldn't have to wait for the Gen 2 car so I didn't tack on to that thread -

The app lets you initiate charging remotely, but it doesn't let you stop it, nor does it let you specify a charge %. It should be able to stop charging and/or set set a percentage.

Last night we arrived home after our regular (80%) recharge timer start time, so we plugged in but of course the car didn't start charging - the options at that point are:

Push timer override, let it start, and go to bed - resulting in a 100% charge
Fire up the Nav unit interface, program in a new 80% timer (or edit current timer) to start in a few minutes, then go back the next day and delete/re-edit.
Start charging from the iPhone - resulting in a 100% charge.

If the iPhone app allowed me to stop the charge, I could have monitored from in the house (or even made an estimate and set a phone alarm) so I could stop the charging from bed later on that night. Alternatively if it had a "start charging, to 80%" request mode then I'd be done in one step. As it was I decided to stop the charge, since we weren't really that low, and decide the next day what to do and when.

The app does let you start AND stop climate control, as well as set a climate control timer - the same should be possible for charging, yes?

+1 to all the above!

It's unfortunate that the iPhone app doesn't do many of the basic functions I'd assume it would have to do, and it's unfortunate that the Android app hasn't been released yet. I hope this is just something that you earliest of early adopters have to struggle with and they'll correct it by the time we late early adopters get our cars. :)

But I wonder: If you go through the web interface, on computer or on smartphone, does it give you the same severely limited functionality, or are the missing features present there? If so, that might give an idea of versions to come.

walterbays said:
But I wonder: If you go through the web interface, on computer or on smartphone, does it give you the same severely limited functionality, or are the missing features present there? If so, that might give an idea of versions to come.

The web interface through the owners portal has exactly the same capability as the phone app - simple start charge, climate on/off, climate timer. The more I think about it the more surprised I am there is not a "stop charging" command.

So far I find the LEAF App one of the features that helped me manage charging and made driving an EV easier the most. However I agree it's far from perfect. The good news is that it's "just software" and we can expect improvement in the future. For me those improvements should be :

1) Login timeout managed in the background. It's anoying that the app asks for login again every couple hours and makes you redo any command you wanted to do. The option to remember my login info is there. I don't understan why I have to tap "enter" twice each time I need to use the App.

2) Automatic status updates... Based on the current behavior, "Real time" status does not seem possible but an automatic refresh every 1 hour or so would be nice.

3) Information about the charging timer in the App. I would like the App to tell me: Car is plugged, charging will start at 12:30am.

4) Stopping the charge from the App. I'm on the fence with this one. Unless you accidentally start charging during peak hours and you're not where your car is I don't see why stoping the charge from the App is necessary. On the other hand, accidentally stopping could cause trouble.

5) GPS location. I know Carwings is not Lo Jack but adding this to this App would be SO easy and could be so helpful in case of a theft that I wish they would add this.

When you set a timer in the car, you can specify which has precedence, Climate or Charging.

That said, *I* would like the option of setting a charge level without having to use a timer since I do not currently need to use one.

garygid said:
Does turning "Climate" ON also terminate "Charging"?

I too hope that new enhancements are coming.

While I haven't gotten my leaf yet, I think I would add the following:

1. Be able to tap into the back up camera from the iphone. There is a back up camera right?
2. Access your ipod that is plugged into your leaf from your phone...maybe using it as a remote control?
3. With GPS, Nissan needs to use it to help you find your car in parking lot or if it is stolen.

:idea:

joinarnold said:
While I haven't gotten my leaf yet, I think I would add the following:

1. Be able to tap into the back up camera from the iphone. There is a back up camera right?
2. Access your ipod that is plugged into your leaf from your phone...maybe using it as a remote control?
3. With GPS, Nissan needs to use it to help you find your car in parking lot or if it is stolen.

:idea:

#1: too much bandwidth required. I'm assuming that the built-in wireless data is maybe only GPRS/EDGE (I doubt it's 3G), because Nissan is "footing the bill" for this as part of Carwings initially. That also means it will factor into the (monthly) cost of Carwings down the road

#2: not sure why you would want to do this, especially if the two are one in the same (iPhone)

#3: I'm all for this. Nissan definitely needs to make use of this low-bandwidth service (the hard part is putting GPS in the car--which is done). This could be a deciding factor as to whether I (eventually) pay for Carwings (unless there's no other way to get charging/climate data from the car).

I'm more of a % charge kind of guy, which carwings via a browser does, but the app gives me estimate mileage.

I wish the app would update more quickly...especially with the requirement of logging in after I request an update, then having to request the update after logged in.

I'd like to control the windows...allowing to roll them up (if cracked) when a sudden rain event comes.

I'd like to be able to unlock / lock the doors via the app (perhaps an "Are you sure" requirement before action occurring).

I'd like to turn the headlights on/off (don't ask me why...seems like a cool thing to do)

I'd like all the other cool stuff you have mentioned to be there too.

Sounds like Nissan software architecture is in the dark ages (kind-of like most car companies, really).

I understand that car control systems must work 100%, all the time, without fail. But then, so do a lot of other, modern systems -- stock exchanges, power brokers, bank systems, the list goes on. All those systems these days are generally built as a federation of independent services, and anyone with the right credentials can get the services they want. In car terms, this would mean that any system (charger, A/C, battery, locks, backup camera, computer network, etc) would be accessible to any other system (such as a general purpose telemetry system), and you could conceivably open up an interface to the car stereo through a properly credentialed web browser.

Sadly, I think the architecture of the systems in cars (even high-end cars) isn't anywhere near that level yet. In fact, I heard that some large German car maker found that most of their problems in their high-end vehicles were with software, so they reduced the feature count in newer models to "solve" that problem. If they try to use mechanical engineering methods to build software systems, perhaps just throwing some M.E. and E.E. grads at it, then I could see how that could be the case. But, if done right, it could be so much better!

What is the best Verizon phone/smartphone for typing long paragraphs? I need a phone from Verizon for typing lyrics and what not, so basically typing long paragraphs. Need a phone/smartphone that is good for storing paragraphs, typing fast, and typing comfortably. Need all suggestions.

kadlecy said:
What is the best Verizon phone/smartphone for typing long paragraphs?
Have you looked at the new Galaxy Nexus that's being released today? The speech-to-text feature is better than the older Android phones - you can talk continuously, and it will keep translating as you go (older phones wonn't translate until you were completely finished talking).

garsh said:
kadlecy said:
What is the best Verizon phone/smartphone for typing long paragraphs?
Have you looked at the new Galaxy Nexus that's being released today? The speech-to-text feature is better than the older Android phones - you can talk continuously, and it will keep translating as you go (older phones wonn't translate until you were completely finished talking).

i think the spec on Icecream 4.0 is "near continuous" speech translation.

on my Moto X, i had to translate in phrases 3-4 words at a time. it would listen, translate and display. it could not listen and translate at the same time.

my Bionic is the same way but it has dual core processor so now i can do whole 8-12 word sentences and it translates 3 times the data in less than half the time.

but still cant listen and translate at the same time. would be nice to have that, but i dont think so. speech recognition has come a long way but processor requirements are still pretty extreme. the Nexus dual core 1.2 Ghz processor i think will do the job but just not that well

kadlecy said:
What is the best Verizon phone/smartphone for typing long paragraphs? I need a phone from Verizon for typing lyrics and what not, so basically typing long paragraphs. Need a phone/smartphone that is good for storing paragraphs, typing fast, and typing comfortably. Need all suggestions.

probably want a physical keyboard although swype has really improved a lot.

kadlecy said:
I'd get a folding bluetooth keyboard, and an Android phone...although an iPhone would also work if you prefer that platform. I've yet to see a built-in keyboard worth using for more than short messages. Make sure there's a way to prop the phone up at the proper angle.

I would like a Palm Pre version of the app. I'm afraid Android and iPhones abe being targeted with two many attackes to make them safe anymore. They estimate that hacks into Androids have cost Androids users up to 1 billion by hacking debit cards etc. (Fox Business News)

I would like a "one touch" widget to start climate control from a smartphone. (I have a Droid, but I would trade it for an iphone for this one simple capability). Also, starting the app should automatically request charge status. The software is all there, but the Carwings software has some huge usability problems. I have already made a one touch icon for my mac to do these things, but I have no idea how to program a phone. Anyone know how?

DougMarker said:
I would like a "one touch" widget to start climate control from a smartphone. (I have a Droid, but I would trade it for an iphone for this one simple capability). Also, starting the app should automatically request charge status. The software is all there, but the Carwings software has some huge usability problems. I have already made a one touch icon for my mac to do these things, but I have no idea how to program a phone. Anyone know how?

This may or may not be too much for you depending on whether your statement of programming a phone is beyond your know-how. This will require you setting up a web server to process and forward your requests to CARWINGS, but it does allow for one-touch commands:

https://github.com/gboudreau/LEAF_Carwings_EasyAccess

I agree wholeheartedly with you on starting the "app" should automatically request status. Once I'm able to finally do some more work on this stuff, the "app" I'm working on (I don't think an app is necessary, it's just going to be a web page, but like the method above, this too allows for a single click to perform common functions) will automatically refresh status upon loading if a programmed time limit has expired (15 minutes for example) since it last requested status from the car.

I've got two applications in mind: one is a non-smartphone web based version of the CARWINGS app, and the second is a web site for my car that displays the charge status at the top. What I have in mind there is to display a QR-code on my dash/windshield that directs someone to the car's website where it will give them stats about the car (including the current charging status). This could come in handy, for example, if another EV owner pulled up to a public charging station I am charging at and I left instructions to wait for a particular SOC%. They could easily get it by accessing the car's web site.

Back