Leafabout
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:33 pm
Leaf Number: 413354
Location: North Carolina

BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 am

These threads can be so confusing. I spent I-don't-know-how-long trying to find out an answer to this question:
Can a 2013 24 kWh battery be upgraded or swapped to a 2017 30 kWh battery? I think I could live with a car that would give me 100 miles of range.
Thanks -- I appreciate any kind of feed back forum'ers can provide.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4810
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 am

If you're wondering whether Nissan will do it, the answer is no. Some people are convinced they will in the future, but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it. If you're asking whether it's possible at all, some DIYer might succeed at some point, but nobody's done it yet.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:07 pm

davewill wrote:but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it.

Back in 2014 the Nissan salesman at the dealership told me they would offer larger replacement batteries. Based upon that, my opinion is identical to davewill's. :D
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

ElectricEddy
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:25 pm

jlv wrote:
davewill wrote:but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it.

Back in 2014 the Nissan salesman at the dealership told me they would offer larger replacement batteries. Based upon that, my opinion is identical to davewill's. :D

That doesn't sound like what a dealer would tell you :lol:
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

Leafabout
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:33 pm
Leaf Number: 413354
Location: North Carolina

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for responding everybody. I guess the uptake from this is that Nissan makes more money selling cars than batteries.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 12216
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

Leafabout wrote:These threads can be so confusing. I spent I-don't-know-how-long trying to find out an answer to this question:
Can a 2013 24 kWh battery be upgraded or swapped to a 2017 30 kWh battery? I think I could live with a car that would give me 100 miles of range.
Thanks -- I appreciate any kind of feed back forum'ers can provide.


probably but finding someone to do it ALONG with a battery pack would be the problem.

Before you start spending any money, realize that Nissan will not sell you a pack outright. It is exchange ONLY so to get a 30 kwh pack, you need to have a 30 kwh pack to exchange it with.

So your ONLY option is to find a salvage 30 kwh pack (hopefully not in a car with a build date from 10/15 to 02/16) before the Vultures swoop down and get the pack which they will then gladly sell to you for double what they paid for it.

Then you would have to find someone with enough knowledge to pull it off and they probably don't work for free

so the reality is if you want more range, I would look at what you can sell your current LEAF for and what kind of deals you can get on a 2017 LEAF. Keep in mind; all Summer long they were HEAVILY discounted but are no longer being built so the supply is getting tighter by the day which likely means the deals are shifting away from you and towards the dealers...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 26,100.2 miles.363GID Ahr 79.55Hx95.35%kwh28.1QCs227,L2's 237
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 12216
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am

ElectricEddy wrote:
jlv wrote:
davewill wrote:but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it.

Back in 2014 the Nissan salesman at the dealership told me they would offer larger replacement batteries. Based upon that, my opinion is identical to davewill's. :D

That doesn't sound like what a dealer would tell you :lol:


Hmmm, interesting comment. I have yet to accurately determine the outer boundaries of the "lesser" dealers...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 26,100.2 miles.363GID Ahr 79.55Hx95.35%kwh28.1QCs227,L2's 237
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

powersurge
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am

I have heard that you can put in a new one, BUT you must open the pack, and reinstall your old pack's computer box, buss bars, and some connectors. That way you fool the car to think that the new pack is really the original, which it recognizes...

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4810
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 am

powersurge wrote:I have heard that you can put in a new one, BUT you must open the pack, and reinstall your old pack's computer box, buss bars, and some connectors. That way you fool the car to think that the new pack is really the original, which it recognizes...

People are speculating that will work, but until someone does it successfully...
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

pointlomadave
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2013

Re: BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 am

A few comments...

Some would say Nissan made the 30kwh pack the same size because they intended to offer it as a replacement for the 24kwh pack someday; while is is ALSO REASONABLE to say that they did it so as not to have to re-engineer the car to fit a new pack.

Regardless, the hard part is designing the pack to fit into the same spot in the car...the easy part is recalibrating the electronics to accept the larger pack and read out proper GOM and other stats. I believe they will offer the 30KWH pack as a replacement but only AFTER the new 2018 car hits the market. Whether or not the battery pack is priced attractively to entice someone to buy a used Leaf with 5 bars missing for $5k and spend another $6k on a new battery pack...who knows. As there is no precedent for this (and until there is) on Kelly Blue Book/NADA, etc...it seems a tough sell to spend that much on a pack out of your own pocket. If battery pack age/condition isn't a metric that is used on an electric car for OFFICIAL valuation purposes, we're going to end up with a lot of low range Leafs in the coming few years that get passed around like a hot potato as the novelty of owning an electric car gets down into the price range of a golf cart! Lol.

Another thought I had is the Costco Auto program. They advertise 15% off OEM parts and labor. Would that apply to an OEM Nissan battery pack installed at the dealer??? If so, could be good for savings of $1k or so!

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”