BATTERY UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

These threads can be so confusing. I spent I-don't-know-how-long trying to find out an answer to this question:
Can a 2013 24 kWh battery be upgraded or swapped to a 2017 30 kWh battery? I think I could live with a car that would give me 100 miles of range.
Thanks -- I appreciate any kind of feed back forum'ers can provide.

If you're wondering whether Nissan will do it, the answer is no. Some people are convinced they will in the future, but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it. If you're asking whether it's possible at all, some DIYer might succeed at some point, but nobody's done it yet.

davewill said:
but my opinion is that Nissan will never do it.
Back in 2014 the Nissan salesman at the dealership told me they would offer larger replacement batteries. Based upon that, my opinion is identical to davewill's. :D

jlv said:
davewill said:
Back in 2014 the Nissan salesman at the dealership told me they would offer larger replacement batteries. Based upon that, my opinion is identical to davewill's. :D
That doesn't sound like what a dealer would tell you :lol:

Leafabout said:
These threads can be so confusing. I spent I-don't-know-how-long trying to find out an answer to this question:
Can a 2013 24 kWh battery be upgraded or swapped to a 2017 30 kWh battery? I think I could live with a car that would give me 100 miles of range.
Thanks -- I appreciate any kind of feed back forum'ers can provide.

probably but finding someone to do it ALONG with a battery pack would be the problem.

Before you start spending any money, realize that Nissan will not sell you a pack outright. It is exchange ONLY so to get a 30 kwh pack, you need to have a 30 kwh pack to exchange it with.

So your ONLY option is to find a salvage 30 kwh pack (hopefully not in a car with a build date from 10/15 to 02/16) before the Vultures swoop down and get the pack which they will then gladly sell to you for double what they paid for it.

Then you would have to find someone with enough knowledge to pull it off and they probably don't work for free

so the reality is if you want more range, I would look at what you can sell your current LEAF for and what kind of deals you can get on a 2017 LEAF. Keep in mind; all Summer long they were HEAVILY discounted but are no longer being built so the supply is getting tighter by the day which likely means the deals are shifting away from you and towards the dealers...

ElectricEddy said:
jlv said:
davewill said:

Hmmm, interesting comment. I have yet to accurately determine the outer boundaries of the "lesser" dealers...

I have heard that you can put in a new one, BUT you must open the pack, and reinstall your old pack's computer box, buss bars, and some connectors. That way you fool the car to think that the new pack is really the original, which it recognizes...

powersurge said:
I have heard that you can put in a new one, BUT you must open the pack, and reinstall your old pack's computer box, buss bars, and some connectors. That way you fool the car to think that the new pack is really the original, which it recognizes...
People are speculating that will work, but until someone does it successfully...

A few comments...

Some would say Nissan made the 30kwh pack the same size because they intended to offer it as a replacement for the 24kwh pack someday; while is is ALSO REASONABLE to say that they did it so as not to have to re-engineer the car to fit a new pack.

Regardless, the hard part is designing the pack to fit into the same spot in the car...the easy part is recalibrating the electronics to accept the larger pack and read out proper GOM and other stats. I believe they will offer the 30KWH pack as a replacement but only AFTER the new 2018 car hits the market. Whether or not the battery pack is priced attractively to entice someone to buy a used Leaf with 5 bars missing for $5k and spend another $6k on a new battery pack...who knows. As there is no precedent for this (and until there is) on Kelly Blue Book/NADA, etc...it seems a tough sell to spend that much on a pack out of your own pocket. If battery pack age/condition isn't a metric that is used on an electric car for OFFICIAL valuation purposes, we're going to end up with a lot of low range Leafs in the coming few years that get passed around like a hot potato as the novelty of owning an electric car gets down into the price range of a golf cart! Lol.

Another thought I had is the Costco Auto program. They advertise 15% off OEM parts and labor. Would that apply to an OEM Nissan battery pack installed at the dealer??? If so, could be good for savings of $1k or so!

DaveinOlyWA said:
ElectricEddy said:
jlv said:

Hmmm, interesting comment. I have yet to accurately determine the outer boundaries of the "lesser" dealers...

:lol:

It's funny how little dealers know about the cars they sell. Until you have to buy something from them :|

jlv said:
davewill said:

You know how you can tell if a car salesman is lying to you....

His lips are moving.

That battery is only as good as its weakest cell. The main pack is already a 4 bar loser. How well this whole pack is balanced would be my concern. All that it takes is the weakest cell(s) going below BMS threshold to make the car not move even when it looks or appears as though you have lots of capacity.

Some one mentioned 30KWH compatibility with 24KWH earlier. Apparently 40KWH packs uses exactly the same cells modules size and arrangement just higher power density, so they interchangeable, but not the Control Unit. Folks already upgraded 24KWH with 30 KWH battery as a complete unit though. So Control Unit from 30 KWH battery will interface with older Leafs, no problem if you have access to Nissan Diagnostic tool to initialize it. No words on 40 KWH battery upgrade yet.

There is a company that will be offering Leaf Replacement batteries with lots more range, up to 65 kwh too. Fenix Energy, they are going to be taking mine as a test mule, donating for 2 years and I will have to lease something in between, but should be well over 200 miles of range. WIll be about the same as the Nissan batteries but with liquid cooling they will last a good long time.

badq45t said:
There is a company that will be offering Leaf Replacement batteries with lots more range, up to 65 kwh too. Fenix Energy, they are going to be taking mine as a test mule, donating for 2 years and I will have to lease something in between, but should be well over 200 miles of range. WIll be about the same as the Nissan batteries but with liquid cooling they will last a good long time.

Why can't you drive the test mule?

Back