I decided to get horny this weekend!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

The stock horn on the Leaf is too embarrassing to even use. So, this weekend I swapped it out for these PIAA horns. Now it sounds like a real car!

I used the 400/500 Hz. pair as I liked that sound better than the 500/600 Hz. version...

Edited to reflect changed Amazon URL: http://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-500HZ-Sports/dp/B00067BWBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316303127&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was able to mount both on the two bolts that are in the area of the old horn; one on the top bolt that held the old horn and one on the bottom bolt (which was previous used). Note that the two bolts are a slightly different millimeter so you will need a different wrench for each. You might be able to get to it from above but I took the easy way out and removed the bottom pan to get access as per the service manual since I wanted to do the LED fog lights at the same time.

JessEV said:
Cool. Anything special needed to do this beyond a screwdriver?

Oh c'mon. You could have had so many style points:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YWb-ymM2U[/youtube]

That'll get people's attention! :lol:
=Smidge=

mogur said:
I was able to mount both on the same center bolt that Nissan used for the one. You might be able to get to it from above but I took the easy way out and removed the bottom pan to get access as per the service manual.

JessEV said:
Cool. Anything special needed to do this beyond a screwdriver?

Did you buy one or two? Or do they come as a pair? tkx

mogur said:
The stock horn on the Leaf is too embarrassing to even use. So, this weekend I swapped it out for these. Now it sounds like a real car!

I used the 500/600 Hz. pair as I liked that sound better than the 400/500 Hz. version...

http://www.amazon.com/85112-115db-500HZ-600HZ-Sports/dp/B00079V5ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301891505&sr=8-1
-----------------------------------------------------------
Horns sound great. But what was the key issues as to why it took 90 minutes to install them? Do you have to remove the front bumper or ??

The service manual details removing the bottom pan cover and accessing the horn in that manner. So that is what I did. Some may be able to reach it from above but my arms are to fat and short for that.

The pan comes off very easily but I had to first put the front up on ramps, etc. Then I had to reverse the process. So, all together it took me about 90 minutes. With a lift, I could have done it in 30.

There are some sound clips on Youtube for those who want to hear what both versions sound like.

I have the horn honk with alarm arm turned off so the fob noise was not a consideration for me.

gasmiser1 said:
Horns sound great. But what was the key issues as to why it took 90 minutes to install them? Do you have to remove the front bumper or ??

You do it from the fob by pressing the lock and unlock keys together for a few seconds. Doing it again will turn it back on. Note that it does not affect the lock beeps that you get from the door button. That is a different noise maker.

IBELEAF said:
mogur said:
I have the horn honk with alarm arm turned off so the fob noise was not a consideration for me.

How do you turn it off? Is there a setting?

mogur said:
The stock horn on the Leaf is too embarrassing to even use. So, this weekend I swapped it out for these. Now it sounds like a real car!

I used the 500/600 Hz. pair as I liked that sound better than the 400/500 Hz. version...

http://www.amazon.com/85112-115db-500HZ-600HZ-Sports/dp/B00079V5ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301891505&sr=8-1

Did it sound like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1c4QZGQw5o&feature=related

Thanks, ordered the pair this morning. If they don't go on the Leaf, my pontiac van could certainly use more volume.

I tried installing and you can't do it from the top, you have to remove the bottom cover to get inside, but that's the easy part. I wasn't sure how to mount both of them at once, so for now I only have one. Also, where did you connect the extended wiring that came with the set to connect your 2nd horn?

IBELEAF said:
I tried installing and you can't do it from the top, you have to remove the bottom cover to get inside, but that's the easy part. I wasn't sure how to mount both of them at once, so for now I only have one. Also, where did you connect the extended wiring that came with the set to connect your 2nd horn?
I think the intention is that you choose one of the two horns based on which you prefer.

I rejiggered the old horn bracket slightly to allow both to use the same mounting bolt. I used a wire connector and hooked the two horns in parallel from the existing horn wiring.

IBELEAF said:

Back