Future enhancement : rear wheel, DC generators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covinaman

It appears that the rear wheels aren't being used to benefit the car's electronics. I would suggest attaching DC generators to the rear wheels, which would generate volts at any RPM. Those volts could be used to run, a heater, AC, and or Recharge batteries.

The centuries old search for perpetual motion...

Covinaman said:
It appears that the rear wheels aren't being used to benefit the car's electronics. I would suggest attaching DC generators to the rear wheels, which would generate volts at any RPM. Those volts could be used to run, a heater, AC, and or Recharge batteries.

mogur said:

Not trying to argue physics, Just saying attaching the heater or AC to a separate 12v battery (which is not connected to the Main battery source) just how a combustable engine uses, an alternator to recharge the DC battery. I was suggesting additional DC generator on the rear wheels, to recharge a second power source.

Regardless of how you did it, it would be less efficient than the current, direct powered system. The energy ultimately has to come from the same source but now you have added a number of additional layers of inefficiency...

Covinaman said:
mogur said:

Not trying to argue physics, Just saying attaching the heater or AC to a separate 12v battery (which is not connected to the Main battery source) just how a combustable engine uses, an alternator to recharge the DC battery. I was suggesting additional DC generator on the rear wheels, to recharge a second power source.

Can we end this thread? This is going to be another of the thousands of threads on this topic. The answer is it's a pointless idea and there is no such thing as over unity. If you are going to do this you may as well add fans in the front to make power from the wind. It's amazing the Japanese engineers at Nissan missed this idea along with every other EV engineer to date.

Why end it now...how crazy can you get? This one even has the rear wheel generators suggested earlier.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcn8ZkvKKc[/youtube]

How about a super magnet to grab onto the vehicle in front of you and let them pull you along from a safe distance :D
A large truck might never know. ;)

Covinaman said:
Start reading: Laws of thermodynamics

While you're at it, get one of those inverters you plug into a cigarette lighter and plug the L1 charger into it. That way you can charge your Leaf anywhere :lol:

I'm not trying to stop you geeks from gagging on each others' :arrow:

I just saying its been done before. I like bike generators

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJ0CeBYG0s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhllIuPje

Why not on the leaf?

its a whole lot easier to pedal a bike with a battery powered headlight than with a generator powered light. Why add all the complications and weight when there is no advantage?

Covinaman said:
Why not on the leaf?
Since you see value in this, why not do it?
Fire up your hobbyist machine shop and build one. Show everyone how it's done and market it, get patents, sell the design to Nissan and retire to a life of drinks with paper umbrellas in them.

The fact that you can't find any such thing on the market tells you that either there are very good reasons (basic high-school thermodynamics) why this isn't a viable idea, or you're the very first person to think of it. Or at least the first person to up and DO it.

To run with your analogy -- the Balls are in your court.

Covinaman said:
I'm not trying to stop you geeks from gagging on each others' :arrow:

I just saying its been done before. I like bike generators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJ0CeBYG0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhllIuPje

Why not on the leaf?

OK, take this idea, but in the leaf instead of a person turning the pedals, the main battery pack is going to instead, right? So you're taking power from the battery pack to turn the wheels, which then turns a generator, which then charges a battery, which then powers your heater (or whatever).

The problem with this idea, which is what everyone is laughing about, is that you're just TRANSFERRING the energy, not producing more. Basically you're using one battery (the drive pack) to charge another battery. And in your idea, you're losing energy in heat, friction, and charging. Plus you need to add all those components so you're adding weight to the vehicle.

It's a good idea on a bicycle because your body energy that you're using to turn the pedals needs to be converted into electricity to power, say, a headlight. You can't just plug your light into your body, you need to convert somehow. But say you had an electric bike with a battery pack, then it would be more efficient to plug that headlight directly into the battery pack rather than have a completely separate battery charged off of a generator attached to the wheel that the main battery was driving.

In an ICE, it makes sense to have the engine turn the alternator (generator) because the engine itself is not storing/producing electricity to power all your electrical components. You need a separate battery in that case, because your engine isn't an electrical power source.

Does that make sense?

Don't feel bad, just remember that most of us on here are geeks and we've heard this kind of idea before and just because you didn't realize how all this works doesn't make you an idiot or anything. This is how you learn! :)

palmermd said:
its a whole lot easier to pedal a bike with a battery powered headlight than with a generator powered light. Why add all the complications and weight when there is no advantage?
I had one of those as a kid because it was cool. Direct battery power is waaaay better.

smkettner said:
How about a super magnet to grab onto the vehicle in front of you and let them pull you along from a safe distance :D
A large truck might never know. ;)
I'm thinking you may know Bob Wilson. :)

Back