Charging Plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDavis

I can't get anyone to come look at our garage. I think I'm going to have to learn to be an electrician, become an apprentice and get my own license and install my own charger.

My question is: I don't think I want it hard wired. I think I want the plug in and then I want whatever charging station I buy to just plug in to the wall for the charger. So, run the line, wire the plug and buy a charging station that plugs into the plug. That way when we move, we can unplug it and take it with us, without any hubbub.

Judges?

For a portable solution I'd personally go with this : http://evseupgrade.com/?2. All you need is a 220V outlet to plug in. It will charge the 2011 and 2012 LEAF as fast as the hardwired EVSE. It will be a different story when Nissan beef's up the onboard charger.

In many places, code won't allow a plug on a 240V device like that on an outside wall.
Will this go in an enclosed garage? If so, then you could put in a NEMA14-50 socket, or similar and plug it in like you say.

Hardwire vs plug-in is a wash. If you move you just put three wire nuts on the disconnected wires and a J-box or cover over the end.

Small covered outdoor 50 amp outlet box is easy to find.

McDavis said:
I can't get anyone to come look at our garage. I think I'm going to have to learn to be an electrician, become an apprentice and get my own license and install my own charger.

My question is: I don't think I want it hard wired. I think I want the plug in and then I want whatever charging station I buy to just plug in to the wall for the charger. So, run the line, wire the plug and buy a charging station that plugs into the plug. That way when we move, we can unplug it and take it with us, without any hubbub.
Can't get an electrician to look at your siuation? Boy, things must be booming in Denver. :eek:

First off, if you have at least a common old 120 volt outlet in your garage, you are al set for L1 charging. Next, bribe an electrician to install an NEMA L6-20 socket and take ericsf's suggestion to have your EVSE upgraded.

Can't get 240 volts in your garage? Live wih L1 - lots of folks do.

McDavis said:

Judges?
That's how my Blink is installed. I'm planning a move to a new house, and I'm just having the builder install the new circuit with the same NEMA 6-50 socket. I'll move the Blink myself. However, I have to open the unit to unmount it anyway, so disconnecting a "hard" wired install wouldn't be any more effort. It has been handy to be able to unplug it instead of going to the breaker when the Blink has needed a reboot...but only the Blink seems to need that treatment often enough to matter. The biggest plus is knowing I can plug my EVSE upgrade into that socket if the Blink were to go out on me.

Update. We bought the GE Wattstation and it plugs in. We just mounted it to the wall and we plug the car in at night. Works great. Turns out we didn't need an electrician. :)

McDavis said:
Update. We bought the GE Wattstation and it plugs in. We just mounted it to the wall and we plug the car in at night. Works great. Turns out we didn't need an electrician. :)
So you already have a 240V 40A circuit all along? Then what's all this talk in your first post about not being able to get an electrician to come out and look at your garage? Selecting which EVSE to buy is easy. Getting a dedicated circuit installed properly is the hard part. You gave the impression that you couldn't even get a 240V circuit installed.

smkettner said:
Hardwire vs plug-in is a wash. If you move you just put three wire nuts on the disconnected wires and a J-box or cover over the end.

I agree.. I've never understood the big deal unless you plan to move the thing every week. If I decide to take down my L2 (I have the Nissan unit made by AV) I would spend more time unbolting the thing from the wall than I would disconnecting the 3 wires.

What kind of receptacle is this? NEMA what?

NEMA.JPG

adric22 said:
smkettner said:

I agree.. I've never understood the big deal unless you plan to move the thing every week. If I decide to take down my L2 (I have the Nissan unit made by AV) I would spend more time unbolting the thing from the wall than I would disconnecting the 3 wires.

I just mounted my AV to a piece of plywood, then screwed the plywood to the wall. No need to open the unit to move it...

Mine is plugged into a 6-50 welder socket that was added years back.

eHelmholtz said:
What kind of receptacle is this? NEMA what?

NEMA.JPG
Looks like HUBBELL CS6369 AC Receptacle CA STD 50a 125/250 Volt, 3 Pole, 4 Wire Grounding
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91040 said:
Looks like HUBBELL CS6369 AC Receptacle CA STD 50a 125/250 Volt, 3 Pole, 4 Wire Grounding
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant - thank you!

91040 said:
So this is non-NEMA and is a California standard? Where is this typical? The male adapters are also very pricey!

eHelmholtz said:
91040 said:
So this is non-NEMA and is a California standard? Where is this typical? The male adapters are also very pricey!
Don't really know but I thought they were used for temporary power at stadiums, outdoor shows and with portable generators.
Wait for the electrical savants weigh in or PM TomT on the forum. He has experience in these areas.

91040 said:
eHelmholtz said:
91040 said:
Don't really know but I thought they were used for temporary power at stadiums, outdoor shows and with portable generators.
Wait for the electrical savants weigh in or PM TomT on the forum. He has experience in these areas.

This generator we used on April 7 had three of these plugs. Unfortunately, we couldnt run 3 phase 480 volt and single phase 40 amp 240 volt at the same time.

81c44beb.jpg

eHelmholtz said:
91040 said:
It is indeed non-NEMA and is generally referred to as a "California connector." There are a few different types (three-phase & single-phase), so be sure to double-check when buying a connector/outlet. They are generally about $100 each.

DarkStar said:
eHelmholtz said:
91040 said:
It is indeed non-NEMA and is generally referred to as a "California connector." There are a few different types (three-phase & single-phase), so be sure to double-check when buying a connector/outlet. They are generally about $100 each.
One interesting note in the specs for that connector:
Certified for current interrupting at full rated current
So you can unplug it while under full load and have no damage from arcing. I don't think the NEMA connectors are so rated.

Back