GPS map updates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gossett

The map in my June 2012 Leaf is the current map, but is already about 2 years out of date (it is missing some new interstate freeway in my area among other errors). Nissan promises to update every 12 - 18 months at $100 - $150 an update. This is a bad idea on two counts:

1. the competition updates MUCH more frequently (Garmin does 3-4 updates a year)

2. the pricing is outrageous. I paid $60 two years ago to get updates forever on a Garmin.

Nissan needs to keep up with the competition or there will be lots of people driving Leafs with aftermarket GPS units mounted on the dashboard.

gossett said:
The map in my June 2012 Leaf is the current map, but is already about 2 years out of date (it is missing some new interstate freeway in my area among other errors). Nissan promises to update every 12 - 18 months at $100 - $150 an update. This is a bad idea on two counts:

1. the competition updates MUCH more frequently (Garmin does 3-4 updates a year)

2. the pricing is outrageous. I paid $60 two years ago to get updates forever on a Garmin.

Nissan needs to keep up with the competition or there will be lots of people driving Leafs with aftermarket GPS units mounted on the dashboard.

Amen to the above post! I have lifetime FREE updates on my $95 (on sale @ Target) Tom-Tom portable unit. IMHO, putting GPS in the Leaf (less than 100nm range) was silly anyway. I've never used mine, since 95% of my driving is within 25mi of my house. Nissan could have put the money to better use by including a battery temp management system in this car. :?

the price of in car GPS updates all run about the same and its waaaay more than nearly any other option. i have a droid. i almost always use both for NAV purposes (have done this forever since my '10 Prius maps were 2 years out of date the DAY i bought the car!) but google maps updates are free and can be done without a cellular signal. now, the GPS function on the phone works much better if combining services (GPS, Google location and Cellular data)

If I had the option, I wouldn't have got the GPS. It's pitifully implemented. I suppose its only saving grace is for finding charging stations, but I really wish they used plugshare.

Nissan rolled out a new mapping system online that is supposed to use elevation and customer usage information to help determine battery usage, etc (see this post for more). I played around with it for a while and gave feedback. Once piece of feedback was:

I don't know if Navteq maps you are using are up to date for this website application, but because the Nissan LEAF does NOT have up to date maps (nor are we ever given updated maps), I don't know what will happen if we try to "Forward to the route to navigation."

I can just see someone sending a map they created from their computer to the LEAF and a freeway or road is missing.

Nissan rolled out a new mapping system online that is supposed to use elevation and customer usage information to help determine battery usage, etc (see this post for more). I played around with it for a while and gave feedback. Once piece of feedback was:

Quote:
I don't know if Navteq maps you are using are up to date for this website application, but because the Nissan LEAF does NOT have up to date maps (nor are we ever given updated maps), I don't know what will happen if we try to "Forward to the route to navigation."

I can just see someone sending a map they created from their computer to the LEAF and a freeway or road is missing.

I already did this with google maps and encountered the missing freeway I mentioned in the original post.

I'm finding the GPS more useful all the time. By using Google Maps and send the destination to the car I can check the route, check the distance and with Tony's chart estimate how much energy I will need. And if there is elevation involved then switch in Google earth for the altitude data. And with the XM Traffic data I can take detours as needed and avoid the congestion or know how long I'm going to be going slow or how soon the traffic will pick up speed. Maybe this is more applicable to high traffic congested areas like the SF Bay area.

But I'm still confused on how you get the maps updated.

To update, you buy a new SD card that replaces the one
in the right-side SD card slot behind the Nav screen.

Beware: Some "covered" areas are not up to date, and
it appears that other areas are not "covered" well at all.

Best to preview the new SD card (in a dealer's LEAF?)
before buying it to determine if the areas important
to you are sufficiently well "covered".

kubel said:
If I had the option, I wouldn't have got the GPS. It's pitifully implemented. I suppose its only saving grace is for finding charging stations, but I really wish they used plugshare.

i hear ya! i can only hope that other EV manufacturers take notice of the Prius C, and adjust. the problem we have is that most hybrid/EVs have features we may not want namely GPS. remove that, cut the price a few grand. sure i understand it is integrated into Nissan's monitoring program, but they have the ability to track us without charging us $2,000 for the privilege

Might the S still have a GPS, for Carwings?

I assume that the S cannot show you where
the nearby charging stations are located, right?

My wife loves the Nav's Take-Me-Home feature.
No matter how lost she might get somewhere,
the Nav could always "rescue" her, taking her home.

garygid said:
Might the S still have a GPS, for Carwings?

With no display, I don't know how practical that would be. I think the consensus is it has a GPS chip but that may be a free-be with the CARWINGS, assuming I, as you, that CARWINGS is included. Wish I'd asked at the DC Car Show.

garygid said:
I assume that the S cannot show you where
the nearby charging stations are located, right?

No, the "display" area is just a normal car climate control bank; no screen and small.

garygid said:
My wife loves the Nav's Take-Me-Home feature.
No matter how lost she might get somewhere,
the Nav could always "rescue" her, taking her home.

I love how I can hit the voice recognition and say "Home" (typically a few times for him to get it right but then it never works when the turn signal is going!) and bamn, the Sat Nav just takes me there!

GPS on my phone is better, voice controlled and uses up to date maps and provides real time traffic flow reports. cant say the same for the LEAF. being in a job that requires travel to various businesses, the phone simply works better than in car systems.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GPS on my phone is better, voice controlled and uses up to date maps and provides real time traffic flow reports. cant say the same for the LEAF. being in a job that requires travel to various businesses, the phone simply works better than in car systems.

I used to use my phone's SatNav but one summer day it shut down multiple times because it was too hot in the windscreen and since that day WiFi is totally busted (though Bluetooth still works). :(

TimeHorse said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I used to use my phone's SatNav but one summer day it shut down multiple times because it was too hot in the windscreen and since that day WiFi is totally busted (though Bluetooth still works). :(

heat is most definitely a killer and i dont keep my phone on the dash like so many of my co-workers. the droid NAV is verbose enough that I only occasionally glance at the map. I usually have it sitting in center tray or in my lap

JeremyW said:
Is there actually a map update available to 11/12s? Has anyone gotten it?
Jeremy - the map update is available for $179 from here:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=iM8KCghB9t4AAAEuFBFDJP3i&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually these updates come out in the fall. Often you can pick up a new SD card in the spring for $99. Hope that helps!

Back