News: CARWINGS and tablet computers, including Android.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoustonFlier

The other shoe has dropped,Adobe has decided to abandon supporting Flash on tablets.

Android 4.0 is the last supported OS, don't expect it to work on any version after that.

Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th.

The easiest way to ensure ongoing access to Flash Player on Android 4.0 or earlier devices is to use certified devices and ensure that the Flash Player is either pre-installed by the manufacturer or installed from Google Play Store before August 15th. If a device is upgraded from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1, the current version of Flash Player may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1. Future updates to Flash Player will not work. We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.

Flash does have uses, but its high CPU and GPU demands make it completely unsuitable on tables and phone. Not much better on cheap computers.

I am all for letting Flash die--it is an inefficient and bug-ridden proprietary solution to something that should be handled in hardware, but until all the websites that use it convert to HTML5, it is going to make things difficult for users to have Adobe quit supporting it.

So far, with my Nexus7 tablet running Jelly Bean 4.1.1, I have been able to still use Flash by sideloading ver. 11.1 and using the Firefox beta browser, so I don't have a problem yet, but the end of support by Adobe is disappointing. They should at least continue until the HTML5 standard is well-entrenched.

TT

HoustonFlier said:
The other shoe has dropped,Adobe has decided to abandon supporting Flash on tablets.

Android 4.0 is the last supported OS, don't expect it to work on any version after that.

Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th.

The easiest way to ensure ongoing access to Flash Player on Android 4.0 or earlier devices is to use certified devices and ensure that the Flash Player is either pre-installed by the manufacturer or installed from Google Play Store before August 15th. If a device is upgraded from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1, the current version of Flash Player may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1. Future updates to Flash Player will not work. We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.

Flash does have uses, but its high CPU and GPU demands make it completely unsuitable on tables and phone. Not much better on cheap computers.

That is too bad,I hope adobe will change their mind

Orlando said:
HoustonFlier said:
The other shoe has dropped, Adobe has decided to abandon supporting Flash on tablets.
That is too bad,I hope adobe will change their mind

No its not, Flash is DEAD on tablets.
It barely worked on Android, and after 2 years of trying Adobe was smart to give up.

What a waste to make an account just to lament Adobes smart decision.

Back