Audio during backup

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

OK, we're all spoiled here. I'll be the first to admit it. But I would like it if they allowed the audio to be changed while the car is in reverse. It can be turned on or off, but it can't be changed from USB to CD or radio, etc. while in reverse. I tend to listen to audiobooks on CD while my wife likes AM talk radio. So I start the car, put it in reverse, start to back out of the garage and her radio station comes on if she was the last driver. Since I can't change it as I am backing out of the driveway at 5 MPH, I have to wait until I've backed almost all the way out, closed the garage door (and waited to make sure it has gone all the way down without reversing), stopped to look both ways (which I can't see until partway into the street due to hedges, etc.), edged out even more slowly, put it in drive, then looked down at the radio to hit the CD button and readjusted the volume while stopped in the street, a much more dangerous place than my driveway. The radio volume input is always much higher than the CD volume for some reason, so after I switch to CD, I have to turn the volume way up. If my wife turns to the radio while driving, and hasn't turned the volume down beforehand, she will jump out of her skin from the volume blast. All this distraction happens while we are out in the street. I contend that it is safer to be able to do this while in my own driveway backing up. It's not the 30 or so seconds of audio that I've wasted I am concerned about. It's the shift of distraction from the driveway to the street. I can see the rear camera view as I hit the necessary radio buttons, so I am actually able to keep my eyes "on the road" better in reverse than when I am out in the street driving in forward and looking out the windshield.

Press the P button on the joystick to get radio control back. Then shift back to R :? I know, I know. I have similar issues, but my driveway's very short, and I'm going forward when I close the garage door. But the camera comes up just as I'm about to tell Carwings that yes, it's also OK today.

This is one place the Prius walks all over Nissan. It remembers different volume settings for each audio input.

eclecticflower said:
Try changing this before putting the car in reverse and backing up? :)

OH!!! bite your tongue! the LEAF can start up and shift faster than the audio for the radio can come on and i be backed up with water if i gonna wait around for the audio to come on.

to the OP; if u aint figured out your wife yet, your marriage might last longer than u think

Ya know, I keep hearing people say how the radio controls aren't active while in reverse with the backup camera... Sure, you can't change inputs, stations, playlists, etc., but you CAN change the volume or hit OFF. You're not "stuck" with your wife's music...

Just push the "off" button (which is the bottom left button next to the touch screen) and the audio system will turn off.

planet4ever said:
Doesn't it depend on whether you are moving? I know I can (and do) turn off the radio while in reverse gear, but I thought I had to brake to a stop first.

Ray

doesnt work when you are moving backwards. cant turn it off or change volume. i will try stopping while in reverse to see. to be honest with ya. i like it. 2 toddlers in the past 10 days backed over by their parents. one died, the other in critical condition.

another thing. both my cars have backup cameras. the Thurston County Fair is going right now and we live 3 blocks from the fairgrounds. my SO backed out "MY" Prius and glanced off a Corvette that was parked on the street in front of our house. did very little damage. there was no paint transferred and the Corvette owner thankfully declined to exchange information (mostly because he was parked illegally) but still we as Americans have always had issues backing up.

I gotta agree with the others. I stop and put it in park in the driveway when this happens, change the audio, THEN finish backing out. Too big a risk to be distracted while backing out.

davewill said:
I gotta agree with the others. I stop and put it in park in the driveway when this happens, change the audio, THEN finish backing out. Too big a risk to be distracted while backing out.
I agree it's a risk to do it while moving, but I also agree with what must be Nissan's position that it is not a risk if you are stopped with your foot on the brake.

If you are in reverse but stopped you can in fact not only turn the audio on and off and change the volume, you can also change channels and switch audio sources using the toggle on the steering wheel. The one thing you can't do, of course, is see the audio screen. So it's your choice:
  • Stop, push the park button, do your audio thing, go back into reverse, and release the brake, or
  • Stop, do your audio thing, and release the brake

Ray

planet4ever said:
]If you are in reverse but stopped you can in fact not only turn the audio on and off and change the volume, you can also change channels and switch audio sources using the toggle on the steering wheel. The one thing you can't do, of course, is see the audio screen. So it's your choice:
  • Stop, push the park button, do your audio thing, go back into reverse, and release the brake, or
  • Stop, do your audio thing, and release the brake
Ray
This is technically true, but misleading, I discovered. I'd never tried it until reading this post since I assumed that if they disable the function on the dash they would disable it on the wheel, too. The point is prevent you from doing it while backing. However, the source button on the wheel does work while the dash button does not, at least while the foot is on the brake. This is not only illogical, but is also useless because the source button on the wheel operates quite differently from the dash buttons. On the wheel you have to press the button 7 times: AM-FM-XM1-XM2-XM3-XM4-USB-AUX-CD to get from my wife's AM radio station to the CD I am playing. In fact, I found it sometimes doesn't "take" the push, so push harder. It can take 10 or 12 times. Using the dash button (while moving forward or in neutral) I only have to press it once, assuming the CD was the last thing playing on the USB/CD button menu. Not only that, but if I press the source button on the wheel a little too hard the horn honks. This is incredibly distracting. I never use the source button on the wheel to change source even while driving for this reason. I do use it occasionally when listening to music to change tracks, since that only requires a single up or down flip of the switch. FWIW, I do take care of all audio adjustments before I begin backing, even though it means waiting for the audio to come on.

Rat said:
... In fact, I found it sometimes doesn't "take" the push, so push harder. It can take 10 or 12 times. ... Not only that, but if I press the source button on the wheel a little too hard the horn honks. This is incredibly distracting. ...
Something's wrong. You shouldn't have to push that hard. I've never had it miss presses like that.

Back