Heads up display

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamarc77

Would love for the power circles, mph, and remaining miles to be projected onto the windshield so i could keep my eyes on the road

Drove an Audi A6 with this feature. No battery information, as that's an ICE car, but it did have NAV info (turn direction and how far until the turn). Worked great, would love that feature on the Leaf!

bamamarc77 said:
Would love for the power circles, mph, and remaining miles to be projected onto the windshield so i could keep my eyes on the road

how fast could you be driving to make that an issue?

thankyouOB said:
bamamarc77 said:

You don't have to go fast for this to be an issue. You're supposed to keep your eyes on the road for a reason.

At 50 mph you're traveling approximately 72 feet pr second. (if my conversions are correct; i live in "the metric world") Look away for half a second and you're 36 feet closer to anything in the road. Count in one second more for reaction time and ypu've travelled more than a hundred feet before breaks are applied. Then add stopping distance.

During the GPRT, I installed Ulysse Speedometer on my GalaxyS3. It has a pretty cool HUD mode (lay it on your dash behind the steering wheel and it reflects in almost the perfect location on the windshield) that works really well at night but not so much during the day.

The Head-Up Displays (HUDs) have been around in cars for two decades and in fighter aircraft since the 1960s making it relatively old technology. However, some automakers offer the HUDs as a $1,000 technology package option. The price of the HUDs alone, without the other options in the package may only be about $500.

I personally prefer what the LEAF offers. It has an embedded second instrument panel near to the base of the windshield, about three feet from the driver's eyes. This is in my opinion a cheaper-than-HUD, almost HUD system.

I wish the LEAF put just the power dots and m/KWh up there with the mph, in the top cluster. _ or perhaps options for the driver to pick and choose...

cra said:
thankyouOB said:
bamamarc77 said:

You don't have to go fast for this to be an issue. You're supposed to keep your eyes on the road for a reason.

At 50 mph you're traveling approximately 72 feet pr second. (if my conversions are correct; i live in "the metric world") Look away for half a second and you're 36 feet closer to anything in the road. Count in one second more for reaction time and ypu've travelled more than a hundred feet before breaks are applied. Then add stopping distance.

a careful driver does allot of things besides looking straight ahead with eyes locked on the road.
check the side mirror when changing lanes to the left.
check the farther away side mirror when merging right as two lanes combine to one.
check the rear-view mirror constantly.
read an exit sign.
read the mph caution sign which is flashing: oh, a school zone speed limit
observe that a car door is opening on the right.
see the bicyclist riding on the sidewalk about to jump into traffic.

what are you talking about???

-----------
(yes to what smkettner says below. HUD at least as, if not more, distracting.)

I could see the HUD might be even more distracting than a quick glance down.
Aircraft would seem better suited with less traffic, curbs and pedestrians.

Back