siai
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 17489

Re: Aftermarket 12kWh add-on

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 pm

I hope the "TS" in the spec sheet for the batteries doesn't mean "thundersky". The picture in the spec sheet looks a lot like a thundersky cell. Those cells have had a bunch of problems in the past---maybe they have some modern manufacturing equipment and quality control in their Chinese battery plant now, however pictures of the plant from a few years ago looked pretty dismal. That being said, it seems like the pack voltage is 48 volts (if I am reading the sketchy information correctly)---It would take a heck of a high current DC/DC converter to get the 48 volts up to the LEAF pack voltage. For example the Prius' DC/DC converter only needs to about double the pack voltage.

JimLovewell
Delivery Date: 16 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2012

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 am

Enginer Auxiliary Battery Pack Questions.

1) I have the two Nissan/Panasonic Level 1 cordsets upgraded by EVSE Upgrade to work off 240/208 VAC. One of the units is set to 12 amps and the other to 16 amps. With an Enginer Auxiliary Battery Pack installed when I charge using the upgraded EVSE what is the total current that the Leaf try to draw? On the 12 amp. unit is it 12 amp. for the Leaf’s charger plus 5 amps. for the Auxiliary charger, 12 + 5 = 17 total? And on the one that is 16 amp. is it 16 amp. for the Leafs charger plus 5 amps. for the Auxiliary charger, 16 + 5 = 22 total? Or does the system behave itself and draw no more that the EVSE equipment says it can supply?

2) When the Leaf is charged to 100% does the Auxillary pack start charging the main battery (1C is about 4000 watts ) right away? What if one turns on the Leaf when it is 100% charged and it sits in the driveway waiting for their spouse for 10 to 15 minutes. Will the main battery get overcharged? What is the algorithm that the Auxiliary pack uses to supply juice to the main pack?

3) It says that an experienced installer should take no more that 2 to 4 hours to install. Does any know what they are charging?

4) Is there anyone who has installed one of these units want to chime in and tell us about your experience with the product?

5) I have been unable to find any reliability information (other than from “adric22”) on Enginer’s products. Do others find that Enginer’s products fail 2 to 3 times a year? When EVSE Upgrade modified two of my Nissan/Pansonic L1 EVSE units they have worked flawless. I have charged some 300 plus times at approximately 10KWh per charging session (around 3 hours per charge).
LEAF SL glacier pearl + QC
Delivered: 5/27/11
VIN #2012
26K miles as of Feb. 2013
Battery Cap. still T12
Tired of Range Anxiety
Bought a Model S

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

dickson31955 wrote:So - what does the extra 180 lbs do for the rear suspension? Is the Leaf now a 4 passenger auto or do you need to beef up the suspension?
Yeah. Go grab a friend and sit on the trunk of your Leaf. If it's anything like the Prius that extra mass will quite appreciably sink down the rear suspension. I wouldn't want to drive like that indefinitely.

richard
Delivery Date: 21 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1009

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 pm

The 4 and 8kWh packs are available for the LEAF, but the 12kWh one is not. The Plug In America page has been corrected to reflect this. Maybe a correction to the thread title here would help avoid confusion.
2011 Nissan LEAF, Glacier White, SL-QC, Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 9/2/10, Delivered: 4/21/11, 33,000+ miles, 12 bars, EVSEUpgrade Rev1
1997 S10 Electric Truck (converted to NiMH by EV Bones)
1981 Jet Electrica (sold '06)
Plug In America

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

yup, another $20K for double the range and TMS and a much larger, faster and fancier car that will presumably hold it's value longer... at the rate the Leafs are depreciating it may very well become a break even just with respect to the value of the battery, and that really can't be good for the Leaf... a lot of the folks who have shelled out the cash for an early Leaf can probably come up with the extra $$ if it means peace of mind and higher overall customer satisfaction. Nissan has got to be feeling the nips at the heel!

KJD wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:the fact that it can't be quick charged is a bummer. long distance trips is where I run into range issues and quick charging frequently really adds time to a drive. a 130 mile pack would make a trip to Portland or Vancouver much faster with only one quick charge necessary. curious as to why the range of the 12kW pack isn't listed.

It looks to me like these will be available within a years time. The only difference is the car will have a Tesla emblem on it instead of a Nissan emblem.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/battery

Oh yea and it will cost about 50k instead of 30k, but whats a few dollars among friends.
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com

theaveng
Delivery Date: 31 Dec 2014

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 pm

QUOTE: "The 12 kilowatt-hour model weighs 360 lbs, and costs $7,495."

This seems worthwhile. You can get Tesla-like range of their bottom level car (~150 miles) but without the $60,000 pricetag. Has anyone done this? Got pictures?
Personal Lifetime MPG:
89mpg Insight G1
50mpg Beetle TDI
65mpg Civic Hybrid G1

Apkungen
Delivery Date: 29 Sep 2015

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 am

i still woder if anyone has done this? What is your experience. I can get batteries for 200dollar/kWh that i would like to use for this purpose. i'd like to add 24kWh that will weigh 200pounds.

fooljoe
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2011

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:39 am

Here's a fun post where Valery from EMW showed his 38 kWh add-on battery for the Rav4-EV. Clearly such a thing is technically possible if you have the expertise and wallet to make it happen, but as yet there are no off-the-shelf solutions. I'm pretty sure Enginer is now defunct.
RavCharge.com | 2012 Rav4-EV | 2011 Leaf SL w/QC batt replaced 11/20/15 | Clipper Creek CS-60 | EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE | 3.84kw PV

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:15 am

I think that the Leaf has become a kind of toy that people seem to like to play with to "soup up" like teenagers who are trying to make their mopeds perform like a motorcycle... Are people interested in dumping $8K on top of the price of their cars for a little extra range? The car runs on electricity, the most common utility in the world, and there are Free Chargepoint.com chargers everywhere! I think the Leaf is perfect at this time because the range of the battery is the size that you will actually use its full capacity everyday. When you pay extra for extra range, you are paying for POTENTIAL to go farther, carrying more weight, but if you don't use it every day, it is being wasted.

I look at it like --- If I have a 1 AH battery on my cordless drill that I use for a half hour a day. It works for what I need to do, and charge it for the next day when I am done with it. I could pay a lot more for the POWER of a 5AH battery, but I am wasting it if the only benefit is that I don't have to charge it everyday. I love my Leaf, and if I needed a non-stop range of over 100 miles, I would not have bought it. I have said in other discussions, let's all enjoy the marvel of technology that we, the few, are enjoying over the 99% of drivers on the road... The age of "Petroleum Man" will soon be over...

N952JL

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Petro man will not be ending any time soon. If you want to hurry his death, then support a 300+ real world range BEV. That is what it will take. I was the first to order a Leaf in the state of GA and the second to accept delivery. I loved it so much I bought it off lease when the time came. And yes, as it is, it handles about 98% of all my trips, but only about 25% of my yearly mileage. At least once a month I need to take an ICE to where I'm going. I can't even take it to the airport to catch a flight. Now it seems that the next stage will be a 200 mile range and that might do it, but I still think you need an honest 3 hr driving at interstate speeds to 30 min recharge time to make the car main stream. Now that means an 80% range of 210 miles plus a 15 to 20 mile buffer. And then a free recharging network like the superchargers which the Leaf cannot use. Oh and by the way, there are a total of ZERO L-3 rapid chargers within Leaf range of middle GA (Macon/Warner Robins/Perry)

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”