kikbuti
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311978

Re: Going for a full Bosectomy (renamed)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

I assume that you considered a front center channel. Did you come up with any solutions?
2013 Cayenne Red Leaf SL ordered April 3rd Delivered April 17, 2013 2-yr lease ended

2016 Pearl White Leaf SL Premium April 14, 2017
Siemens VersiCharge 240V 30A EVSE

2017 Volvo XC60 Inscription

DeudeMann
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2017

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

For now I am only going to run five channels:
LR bass in doors
LR midrange/tweeters in a-pillars
Subwoofer in hatch
With good time alignment, the imaging will be as good or better than it would be with a center channel, albeit only for one person at a time. Since 99% of the time I am the only person in the car when commuting, and am the audiophile of the family, that is OK with me.
How do I turn up the boost on this thing?

DeudeMann

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 am

Here is the 4-channel amplifier and the C-DSP 6x8 installed on the mounting plate. This will be placed in a hidden spot in the car.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvkaoV9mJvHimzx73

DeudeMann

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm

More progress today... So I had heard about how cheaply made the Bose drivers were, and after seeing them for myself, yeah, they are pretty cheap. Plastic baskets (not always bad, but not impressed with these), really thin paper cone, very thin rubber surround, small voice coil, puny magnets.... I am happy to see them go.

They are good for one thing however, The basket can be gutted, and used to mount the Tang Bands, or I imagine most any other 6.5" speaker. With only a pair of wire cutters (a.k.a. dikes) one can remove most of the basket, the cone, and magnet assembly, leaving only the circular portion of the basket that bolts to the door panel. Epoxy the basket to the back of the new speaker's mounting flange, and viola, you have a nice, clean mount for your new speakers. In the case of the Tang Bands, they needed to be spaced away from the door since they have a much greater mounting depth than the Bose drivers.

Here is the Bose basket after removal of the cone, surround, magnet, spider, wire leads, and connector. It has been placed onto the back of the Tang Band's mounting flange.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ojsV9H1d2MDpDGGx2

Here is a close up of the epoxy used to glue the Bose basket to the Tang Band's mounting flange. I taped the Tang Band screw holes to hold in the epoxy, roughed both surfaces with 200 grit sandpaper, pre-coated both mating surfaces with epoxy, assembled them, then ran another bead around the outside perimeter of the joint. The plate is used to support the Tang Band by the flange. I suppose you could set it down on its surround, but I do not recommend that.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Ep42JiU4zUoc94g1

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”