13-17 Leaf S Radio Install Guide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickymac54321

I thought I’d post all of the parts that I used to install an aftermarket radio in my ‘13 Leaf. This works on the 13- 17 Leaf S. For the 16-17 Leaf S disregard the phone button retention harness as they have no BCM. Feel free to ask any questions.

- Dash Kit: American International NDK780

- Wiring Harness: 70-7552 - 20-pin Subaru/Nissan Harness with SWC from http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-70-7552.html
This has all the required wires, plus it has the correct steering wheel pins unlike the Metra Version and they even ground pin 15 for the steering wheel controls.

- Antenna Adapter: Metra 40-NI12

- Backup Camera Adapter: Axxess AX-NIS32SWC-6V
This worked in adapting the Leaf’s back up camera. Just follow the instructions on this link: https://metra-static.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/INSTAX-NIS32SWC-6V_web.pdf

- Phone Button Retention Harness (13-15) : AXXESS AX-NIS32BT or PAC BT-SWC-NI1
13-15 models only. 16-17 have no BCM. In order to retain the two phone buttons you’ll need to use this adapter to bridge the lost connections when unplugging the BCM. This makes it much easier then trying to jump the wires yourself. You’ll have to gain access to the BCM in the rear luggage compartment. Use this forum post as a reference for disassembly: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23887

- Steering Wheel Control Adapter: Axxess ASWC-1
Please use this link from AXXESS to connect the steering wheel controls adapter. It didn’t work for me initially but I swapped the Gray/Blue wire to Pin 6 and Gray/Red to Pin 16 and it works perfectly: https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_860.pdf

I just install an aftermarket Android head unit, called SilverStrong 707x5 for Nissan, in a 2014 Leaf S.
HTB1aKzOPVXXXXbOaXXXq6xXFXXXt.jpg

Whats worked out of the box:
  • The unit was equiped with one connector for the fm antenna, and the 20pin connector for power and speakers etc. These connectors seems to be standard, when you order a head unit for Nissan.
  • The unit powers up.
  • Speakers are working
  • Fm radio is working
  • The steering wheels buttons for volume up/down and source up/down are working. The unit has an app to map buttons to functions.
  • The unit was equipped with GPS-antenna.
  • It worked to install apps for internet radio, webbrowsing, navigation and maps with traffic information, apps for finding charging stations and to start and stop charging etc.
What is not working out of the box:
  • The car has a second white connector for backup camera and mic etc. I am missing cable between this connector and the head unit's mini jack for mic and yellow connector for the backup camera.
  • The backup camera is not working.
  • The microhpone is not working
  • The 2 steering wheels buttons for phone are not working..
  • Facia frame is needed. There is a gap on the right and the left hand side of the unit.
I am wondering if the Axxess AX-NIS32SWC-6V Backup Camera Retention will do the job and is needed, or if anything else will to the job.

What works partly:
  • The unit has no sim card reader and i used a 4G USB dongle. When the car boots up, it takes a couple of minutes to get internet connections. A workaround might be to run hot spot from the phone.

I liked the original radio, with all of its buttons, that should make it easy to control. Unfortunate the screen was to small and it did not support bluetooth audio, and it did not support maps with traffic information in the rush hour. Usually i listen to internet radio while driving, and here in Norway there are not many FM stations left, and there are many stations of Digital Audio Broadcasting that will not work well with the original head unit. On the old unit i can't run Leaf Spy Pro or OVMS.

The build microphone can be used for OEM stereos with a little adapter. The Leaf uses a Mic Amp that amplifies the microphone signal and adds about 2 V DC to the signal as documented in the manuals found at nicoclub.com. OEM Stereos require an un-amplified signal without DC component. The little adapter uses a capacitor to filter out the DC component and then a resistance divider to lower the mic signal. I have used that circuit in a 2016 Leaf with both Sony and Pioneer Radios and it works well. You need to make sure to provide 5V to the original Mic Amplifier, which you can either take from a USB output of the OEM Stereo or any USB adapter.

NeMriYt.jpg

The 2015 and earlier models provide 5V from the original BT module, which can be reused as mentioned at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23887. The 2016 and later models do not provide 5V other than from the original Stereo.

Interressting.
Do i have to take the mic signal from the trunc, or is there any short cut so i don't have to move the back seat?
To get the 2 phone buttons on the steering wheel working, i connected this to the plug in the trunk: Axxess AX-NIS32BT
Instead of the AX-NIS32BT, i see chumpp is just strapped the plug with some loop-wires.
81grn94

I recently picked up a CarPlay compatible unit from Amazon and used this list for all the necessary items. In my previous car I used CarPlay exclusively for everything, and prefer it over any other infotainment system. I did skip the Phone button adapters as I just don’t use them currently, seemed like an unnecessary cost and extra work. Planning to use the mic that comes with head unit, but may explore integrating it into the factory mic, we’ll see. Thanks for the list, will post before and after once all arrives and it’s installed.

So I spent the better part of Sunday morning completing this install. Pictures to follow later. Here is a complete list of all the items I bought to make this work:

BOSS CarPlay Head Unit - I only wanted CarPlay so I can access Apple Music, podcasts, basically anything via my phone. Northern Nevada doesn't have many great FM stations...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PF8LXFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Controller - I've had success using this before in a previous vehicle. The main harness that comes with this won't be used, as you will use the harness that comes with the 6V kit for back up camera. More on why this doesn't currently work in the Leaf down below....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4PJC9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Axxess AX-NIS32SWC-6V - This is to retain the factory backup camera. The wiring harness that comes with this will replace the harness that comes with the ASWC-1.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXJFWMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ai NDK780 Dash Kit - This is a near match for the finish of the dash area around the radio. The mounts however didn't line up with my radio...it was a radio issue and not this kit. Still made it work via some two sided foam tape.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I86JXQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 70-7552 Wiring Harness - Main harness for speakers to radio.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXED54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Harmony Audio HA-40NI12 Antenna Adapter - Figured since I was inside I might as well hook up antenna in case I needed it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ES2Z8QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra AX-NISUSB-2 USB Retention Harness - Used this to maintain the factory USB port on console. This way I didn't have to run any additional USB cable down the back to use Apple CarPlay.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JYTLTTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AXXESS AX-NIS32BT Steering Wheel Controller Adapter - Had to buy this after the fact as I didn't know I needed it originally.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-steering-wheel-control-adapter-cable-black-red-white/6264659.p?skuId=6264659&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=BM01&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KjhlLbI4wIVh9dkCh2gNAFZEAYYAiABEgJixfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What works:
-the stereo
-CarPlay
-retaining factory USB
-rear back up camera

What doesn't work:
-steering wheel controls

After trying to program the ASWC-1 for a few hours, I gave up, and put everything together, tested out function (minus steering wheel controls). Pretty impressed with this head unit as it packs a punch, and was a great value at $126 total. For the steering wheel controls, going to continue work on that today. I believe this may be a radio issue more than vehicle issue, as the auto program feature appears to work, and goes to a state that indicates it detects the vehicle. However, I can't change the radio type, so I'm not sure. I wasn't going to retain the phone buttons as the head unit/CarPlay has the necessary functions for that. But for $10 and lug and play, I figured why not. Plus it was available for local pickup.

So the ASWC-1 with the AX-NIS32SWC-6V is a finicky item...no luck yet. Multiple calls to tech support ranging from they don't support the Leaf all the way to questioning my lack of understanding english....(I was born in Ohio)...Still trying but the work week is fast approaching, this may spill to next week or later...

dmbshn41 said:
So the ASWC-1 with the AX-NIS32SWC-6V is a finicky item...no luck yet. Multiple calls to tech support ranging from they don't support the Leaf all the way to questioning my lack of understanding english....(I was born in Ohio)...Still trying but the work week is fast approaching, this may spill to next week or later...

Thanks for your updates- how much did you pay for the Boss head unit? Amazon has it at $220+ now

Thanks so much for this... I just successfully completed an install in a 2018 Leaf S using the parts listed above - so this still works for at least the 2018 Model - with one change to the instructions above!

I first tried the Pin 6/16 instruction from the note below to install the ASWC-1 Steering Wheel controller but it didn't work for me.

- Steering Wheel Control Adapter: Axxess ASWC-1
Please use this link from AXXESS to connect the steering wheel controls adapter. It didn’t work for me initially but I swapped the Gray/Blue wire to Pin 6 and Gray/Red to Pin 16 and it works perfectly: https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_860.pdf

Instead, I followed the "Altima sedan 2013-up / Rogue 2014-up only" instructions from the AX-NIS32SWC-6V (Backup Camera). Basically, you throw away the harness that comes with the ASWC-1 and use the harness that comes with the AX-NIS32SWC-6V to connect to the ASWC-1 control module instead (it is pre-wired for this).

This doesn't change any of the parts you need to buy from the above list - except that you can get away with the more basic version of the 70-7552 speaker/radio harness that is more widely available from Metra because the Steering Wheel control is wired through the Backup Camera harness on the Leaf instead of the speaker/radio harness.

By the way, my new head unit is an Alpine ilx-007, in case that's of interest for people...

Hope this makes sense and is helpful ... cheers!

tvspaulmoore said:
dmbshn41 said:

Thanks for your updates- how much did you pay for the Boss head unit? Amazon has it at $220+ now

I paid $126 for the Boss unit...had a coupon to get it to $186, then signed up for the Amazon store card and got an additional $60 off. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Quality of unit has surprised me. All is good except steering wheel controls. AWSC-1 just not working. Metra/Axxess won't replace it as they say its not defective, but they're tests say otherwise...I'd stay away from them for a steering wheel adapter.

My current issues are my backup camera does not turn on when I put the car in reverse, and I can't for the life of me figure out the wiring for the ASWC1. My equipment list is:

Auto Harness House 70-7552 wiring harness
Metra 40-NI12 antenna adapter
Axxess AX-NIS32SWC-6V backup camera adapter harness
Axxess ASWC1

What do I wire the reverse signal wire to from the 70-7552 harness? I tried the 6v red wire for the camera, but that made it permanently stuck on.
What do I wire the extra Auto Harness House Blue and Green cables to?

My ASWC1 is getting power and will flash if I reset it.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sorry for delay! I seem to recall that one of the threads around here had an image of a wiring harness completed. I found it in my library, attempting to post here.

https://ibb.co/HXF6DXR

Can't upload, try the link.

I'm coming late to this topic. I happened to notice in this schematic (edit: from this post) that the resistors seem to be swapped:

Y82Ly0e.jpg

That voltage divider will reduce the amplitude by about 3%, which is negligible (0.1 dB). Are the resistors meant to be swapped, so that the amplitude is reduced to about 3%, i.e. some 15 dB?

Edit: yes, they should be swapped, per the poster of this image, carStereo. See this post.

That's for retaining the factory mic to use with aftermarket stereo I believe. I didn't get that in depth. I used the mic that came with my stereo, and attached it to end of headliner, between where the rearview mirror is mounted and the overhead map lights, mic, etc. Its hidden for the most part, and I'v been told that calls in the car using the mic sound great. May help to note that there is a mic 'sponge' over the mic.

I *JUST* finished installing a Pioneer unit in my 2015 Leaf S yesterday.
Everything works with the exception, of course, of the Steering Wheel Controls.
I too wired in a ASWC-1 with the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness but can't for the life of me get it to work.
I also made doubly sure to remove the BT module in the rear and install a AX-NIS32BT bypass over the harness.

I know the ASWC-1 detects the head unit OK, but it doesn't seem to detect the Steering Wheel Buttons.
Looking at the LED feedback, of the 7 flashes, the 2nd one is short flash indicating a missing wire: the BLUE-YELLOW wire
The Blue/Yellow wire is only on the harness that came with the ASWC-1, not the NIS32SWC-6V.
The pin corresponding to the Blue/Yellow wire on the NIS32SWC-6V is black and is spliced with 2 other black wires....

I'm at a loss.... I either throw in the towel and try wiring in a PAC unit or make sense and re-wire things using the ASWC-1 harness into the NIS32SWC-6V.

Has ANYONE had any luck with the ASWC-1 in their gen1 Leafs

OK - I had a bit of a *EUREKA* moment this evening while studying the pin diagrams and my wiring harnesseseseseses.
My mistake is I used the basic Metra 70-7552 wiring harness. It doesn't have anything in pins 6, 15 and 16 which are the very pins the steering wheel controls are coming through!!!
My plan is to replace my basic harness with the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 wiring harness (with the SWC wires I need to work with) and get it in after a whole lot of sniping. stripping and soldering.

Then looking at the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness.... the 12 pin harness that goes into the ASWC-1 has the needed SWC pins grounded off together.

I will need to snip and splice into the wires of pin 5 & 11 of the AX-NIS32SWC-6V 12 pin harness and wire them into pins 6 & 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 respectively; while grounding pin 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 off.....

That **SHOULD** do the trick. I will report back if all goes well!

twizttid1 said:
OK - I had a bit of a *EUREKA* moment this evening while studying the pin diagrams and my wiring harnesseseseseses.
My mistake is I used the basic Metra 70-7552 wiring harness. It doesn't have anything in pins 6, 15 and 16 which are the very pins the steering wheel controls are coming through!!!
My plan is to replace my basic harness with the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 wiring harness (with the SWC wires I need to work with) and get it in after a whole lot of sniping. stripping and soldering.

Then looking at the AX-NIS32SWC-6V harness.... the 12 pin harness that goes into the ASWC-1 has the needed SWC pins grounded off together.

I will need to snip and splice into the wires of pin 5 & 11 of the AX-NIS32SWC-6V 12 pin harness and wire them into pins 6 & 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 respectively; while grounding pin 16 of the "ADVANCED" 70-7552 off.....

That **SHOULD** do the trick. I will report back if all goes well!

Any luck? Any pics of exactly what to do for us wiring diagram reading challenged folks?

Back