Sirius XM Subscription -- what are YOU paying?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanfran

Hey Everyone... To preface, I've done searches for this topic and there isn't really anything current that I found, so I wanted to post a new thread asking, simply, what are YOU paying for your Sirius XM subscription with NAVtraffic? This isn't asking about features or values, but simply a dollar value...

I ask because just a month into our LEAF ownership, the calls and letters have begun. Three calls to my wife last week alone, despite her asking them not to call.

We were advised by our sales guy to not take their first, second, or even third offer -- because the prices will continue to drop as they realize you may not sign up after the trial.

Anyone have an idea of the current 'floor' of the subscription?

Due to an odd bug in their system, my trial subscription for my Leaf has never expired so I can't comment on that, but on our other ICE car we recently renewed it for a year for music, weather, Travel Link, and traffic (the nav in our other vehicle - unlike the Leaf - supports all these features). We, too, let ours expire first and then worked through all the various offers and supervisors... Bottom line: $99 for a year, out the door. By the way, we used a one-time Credit Card number so they can't automatically renew it at the end of the year...

sanfran said:
Anyone have an idea of the current 'floor' of the subscription?

I have zero interest in Sirius. I turned it on once, just to see if it worked.
It may or may not still be active on my car; I have no idea. There were numerous mailings from them which promptly went in the trash.

I was tempted by their final offer of $30 for six months but ultimately passed, as I don't need another leak in my wallet. Of course the deal there is you give them a cc and they start billing you full price after that hoping you'll either forget or be so in love with the service you won't mind.

My best offer was $25 for 6 months after a year of ignoring them. I think the sound quality is terrible and I'd rather stream from my phone or listen to FM.

I just went with the $25/6 months offer after letting it lapse for over 3 months. I agree the sound quality on XM leaves a lot to be desired, even more so than Sirius, but I got tired of streaming audio from my iPhone.

For me after a while the offers stopped. I guess their system figures out they are wasting postage and printing on a lost cause. Of course now that I added the volt it has started anew, with full price offers.

One thing that's cool about the volt is the trial includes howard stern, maybe they all do now.

virgin mobile android phone with unlimited data, also runs Leaf battery app, 35 per month, Waze for traffic and Pandora with no ads, about $3 per month still cheaper than sirius xm per year. why even bother, not that you would be driving the Leaf too far from home anyway.

Thanks, All, for your responses.

As we're not smartphone users, and the state of FM leaves much to be desired from a content perspective (outside of public radio), Satellite Radio is a bit of a novelty for us.

Traffic has come in handy, too -- so while I certainly appreciate the varying perspectives as to why- or why-not have it, I'm still mostly curious about rates. Seems like the bottom end is on the order of 25.00/6mo. Good call, using a one-time CC #, too...

Best,
-greg

Sound quality of XM radio is closer to AM. Bluetooth connection to any smart phone or tablet with cellular is much better.

Good luck with your $25 for 6 months XM subscription, just note that will NOT include traffic.

I still have never paid for mine, it just keeps going for years. I'm not complaining because I would never pay for XM and the traffic is only of value once in a while but can be useful at times:)

Its a pain, you can get the $99/year, but you have to call them and ask. They will hand you off to a "special" department to get it, and you have to go through it every year to keep it at $99.

EVDRIVER said:
I still have never paid for mine, it just keeps going for years. I'm not complaining because I would never pay for XM and the traffic is only of value once in a while but can be useful at times:)
Well, I think there's the secret. If you pretend like you don't want it, the SiriusXM radio will just keep working for free. Not sure how the radio figures that out (my guess is a Bluetooth sync with your brain).

Saw some other threads here where other folks also had the sub going after 7+ months. Seems like it may be more common for early Leaf buyers, with more recent folks getting cut off exactly at 3m.

They really are persistent bastards when it comes to contacting you. I've received at least a half dozen letters, and in the last few weeks of my trial I have been getting at least 2 phone calls per day (up from one phone call per day prior to that). I think I only got 1 email from them (weird, since that's the lowest cost way to bug me). It was getting so bad that I set up a call forwarding rule to redirect their calls back to the main SiriusXM number. But the latest calls come from a phone number that does not show Sirius XM in the caller ID, and they NEVER leave a message. I only found out it was Sirius after finally answering one of them. Not a fan of this sort of telemarketing.

I was prepared to let it lapse, then I got hooked on SiriusXMU which, for me, is a tremendous Indie rock station. I signed up for $96 a year. Maybe next time I will let it lapse for a month and see if they offer better.

Many of us already understand that the people who run Sirius/XM are Crooks, but just to illustrate that fact for those who don't: I got a "payment notice" today, for $101.18. It looks exactly like a bill, and even says that the amount is due upon receipt. It is not, however, a bill. It is an attempt to both get you to give them $101.18, and to get you to sign up for automatic billing and payment, so they will keep collecting however much they want from you, whether you like it or not.

If you read the fine print carefully, however, all you have to do if you receive one of these criminal "notices" is contact them within the specified period, refuse to pay it, and negotiate a less criminal fee. They finally offered me $20 for 5 months; I agreed, and they promptly upped the total to $25, after "taxes and fees." I agreed to that, and will have to go through it all again in 5-6 months, because they refuse to extend that rate out to one year. I should note that I never gave them my credit card number, and never agreed to any auto-renewing fees. I strongly suggest that the rest of you follow suit.

I got my notice for renewal, and planned to follow my successful pattern the past two years. Call, say it is too much, then they offer a "special offer" price which I take. This time I called and the menu gave me no option to talk to a person, so no special deals, so at the end of the month I will cancel. I will miss it.

Last I paid was I think $49 for 6 months (including traffic). Even if they included traffic in the $25 for 6 month deal, it's still not worth it. The audio quality sucks. At the end of the 6 months, they auto-renewed at the full rate.

Just remember to use a credit card that expires before your 6 months are up, and cancel at the end of the 6 months. Or even better, save your money and don't use them. SiriusXM is on my scumbag businesses list.

$0, they never bugged me on my LEAF, I think they don't know it exists. With the RAV4 EV, they started calling a few weeks after purchase, when they started calling multiple times a day, I told them to take me off their list. Haven't heard from them since. Traffic is nice, if I could get it without, their crappy audio service, not worth more than a few bucks a month, to me, I don't commute.

Back