Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Can't play songs in order

Tue May 06, 2014 3:54 pm

My 2013 SV has a the factory Clarion Nav/Radio.

I have a book on disc with 100 chapters on 10 CDs. I want to play them on USB instead, so I converted each chapter to MP3 and then wrote them to USB, one at a time, in sequence, as recommended by the manual. I set my Nav to play in order, but the chapters come up in a strange order, not the sequence that they were written. The display always shows this weird order, too.

I formatted the USB and tried copying the files again, one at a time, using Win7Pro. Same problem. I tried two different public domain programs to sort the USB and they seemed to work, but there is no difference to the order shown on the display or the order played. Yet when running the program, it shows the files in order. The programs that I tried were: mp3DirSorterE.exe and NewFAT32Sorter

I tried formatting then creating 10 separate directories and put 10 chapters in each, but it still plays in the wrong sequence. I tried formatting the USB in FAT and RAW modes. No better.

I tried a second USB, this time with much more capacity, and had the same problem.

What else do you recommend that I try to solve this?

Thank you for any ideas at all.

Bob

cliff
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673

Re: Can't play songs in order

Wed May 07, 2014 1:25 pm

I am guessing from the name of 1 of your sort programs, that the files are in
MP3 format, so the order could be based on the ID3 tag. using a tag altering
program for MP3 files might solve your problem. I am also guessing from the
.exe part of the sort program name, that you are using windows, since I
use Linux/BSD I can not suggest a program to use.

cliff
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673

Wed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Just looked at a USB I use, and the order looked to be by file name,
not ID3 tag. I did however have the file names start with a number.
Like 01 - name1.mp3

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm

On my 2011, the Clarion NAV unit does not respect track ID tags on mp3 files that are on a usb stick. If I want a collection of songs that came from a CD to play in the order that they are on the CD, I put all the tracks in one folder on the stick and then renumber the track names to 01.mp3, 02.mp3, 03.mp3, etc. All the tracks will then play in track numerical order....

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 pm

^^ that's the ticket! ID3 tags are ignored, file names rule!
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Thu May 08, 2014 10:11 am

I went through this exact issue in an earlier thread. Nothing works. Mine were WMA files. I renamed the files on my audiobook on my USB drive, e.g. part01, part02, part 03..., etc. I tried renaming several times, using A,B,C as well as numbers. I made sure mode was in "Normal", not random and they still played in a different order. It was always the same order, not random, but it was incorrect. Much of it was in sequence, but it would start with track 5, then 6, then 7, then back to 2, then 8, then 1, then 10, 11, 12, 13 in order, etc., or something resembling that. My guess is that when copying to the USB drive Windows does not write them in sequence - i.e. it picks a convenient spot on the USB memory stick that has the right amount of memory available for the file size and writes there, just like on a hard drive, so track 7 may come between track 1 and 2, even after reformatting, and the Leaf just plays them in the order they are physically written into memory. The Leaf has an option of Normal and Random and All Random, but it does NOT have an option to sort and play them by file name the way Windows Media player or other players do. It's a major flaw in Leaf's player. The only workarounds I can see are to burn the files onto a CD (but for large audiobooks this is not practical) or creating a separate folder for each file on your USB drive. Then you can manually select each folder in order and play them without having to change CDs, but it may not be worth the extra work and the distraction of having to punch the screen after every track.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Thu May 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Rat,
I've never played WMA files in my car, but I'm pretty confident that your files would play in sequence if you converted them to mp3 files with sequential file names. I've been playing music in my car for 3 years now and this works like a charm....

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Thu May 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Randy wrote:Rat,
I've never played WMA files in my car, but I'm pretty confident that your files would play in sequence if you converted them to mp3 files with sequential file names. I've been playing music in my car for 3 years now and this works like a charm....
Sorry to disagree, but wma and mp3 files are treated exactly the same by the Leaf. I have also taken an audiobook CD and ripped it to mp3 files with sequential track names and they will not play in correct order in the Leaf. This is true even when I delete everything from the USB stick and copy the mp3 files one by one in correct order. When the Leaf reads the folder (in Normal, not Random mode) the tracks/files do not come up alphabetically or in order of copying. This is true even though my music files (which are a mix of WMA and mp3) do play in alphabetical order if I put it in Normal mode instead of my usual All Random mode. I have repeated this experiment many times many ways. You just can't listen to an audiobook in correct order from a USB drive in the Leaf.

I have given up on this because now the Library does not allow transferring e-audiobooks to a USB drive. The apps will allow me to download to my home computer and play them through Windows Media Player (which I had to upgrade in a laborious process with two separate tech help sessions with the company that makes the library's audiobook download software), but that's only because that player now automatically deletes the files when the checkout period is up, and will not allow copying to any other device. So there is no point. Fewer and fewer audiobooks are coming in CD format now; many are available (in the library at least) only as downloadable e-audiobooks (in at least 3 different formats playable only with proprietary software). Nissan needs to figure out how to allow them to be played from a USB drive.

If I really wanted to make this happen with downloadable e-audiobooks, i.e. play the book continuously and in correct order from my USB stick in the Leaf, I know how to do it. I could hook my laptop to my desktop, download the e-audiobook to my laptop and play it on Windows Media Player, recording it in real time with my WaveLab program on my desktop (while I'm away from my computer, sleeping, etc) into one long wav file which can then be converted either to a single mp3 or wma file or at least a few files small enough to be transfered easily to the stick. That's probably illegal and too much trouble anyway. I just limit myself to CD audiobooks now and use the USB stick for music.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

You could try concatenating the small MP3s into larger ones, e.g. one to represent each CD. There are utilities to do this, for example

http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use Mac, so have not tried that program, but just offering as an example.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 am

Rat and I have the same issue. OK, at least it's not just me. :-)

The manual says that putting them on USB in order should do it and for me, it doesn't. I have a call into Nissan and they have opened a case, but I'm not holding my breath that they will be able to help.

I tried completely formatting the USB before coping files to it, so that should prevent any random writing issues.

One thing unique about us is that we are both dealing with books on tape, which consist of large numbers of "chapters". Could it be related to having too many files? I tried separating the files into subdirectories and that still didn't work.

Then I did exactly what Nubo suggested, and concatenated each group of 10 "chapters" into one larger file, and wrote those 8 large files to USB. This time, they play in sequence! That has to be a clue. Or perhaps it is random luck. :-(

I wonder if the Clarion heads have different versions of firmware and this is a bug in certain models, but not others. (I have a 2013 Leaf SV)

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Please continue sharing ideas.

Bob

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”