Homelink Mirror Upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My SV doesn't have a Homelink mirror. They are standard in SL models and I believe they are also installed in some SVs as an extra. If I get one for my SV will it be plug and play?

I have an 2014 SV and updated the mirror to the Homelink version. The connector is different from the stock dimming mirror, so you have to get a new pigtail and splice it in. The Homelink mirror requires both a switched and unswitched power lead, and the SV cable just has a switched lead, so I took the unswitched power from the map light in the overhead console.

Here is a source for the pigtail

Swapping out the mirrors is very straight forward with the mirror being held in with a T20 torx screw.

Since the connectors are not the same, for a cheaper price than a new OEM part, you might want to go with a generic Gentex unit instead. I believe they are the OEM Homelink mirror supplier for several manufacturers including Nissan:

http://www.amazon.com/GENTEX-GENK40A-Auto-Dimming-Mirror/dp/B002Z600DY/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403247434&sr=1-2&keywords=gentex+homelink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plus there are other models as well.

EDIT: from parts.nissanusa.com, Universal City Nissan is selling the SL's mirror for $286, with an MSRP of $301, so the one I showed above isn't much cheaper. Part number is 96321-3WV0A for a 2014 SL. Do verify that with your local parts guy before ordering.

One solution is to go on Ebay and search for Nissan Homelink mirror. There is a wide selection of both used and new ones there.

The Nissan mirror is essentially the same for all Nissan and Infiniti products. Depending on the year, of the mirror will determine which pigtail connector your car will need. But regardless of the mirror you choose for your SV, you will still need to tap unswitched power from the overhead map light assembly.

Here is a list of current mirrors available on Ebay for as little as $39 used.

OrientExpress said:
...But regardless of the mirror you choose for your SV, you will still need to tap unswitched power from the overhead map light assembly.

I did the same as OrientExpress with my MY2013 SV but had the connector that went with it. I too tapped the unswitched (always-on) power from the overhead map light, but I don't think you need to do this. For a much simpler installation, couldn't you use the switched power from the original SV mirror assembly for both powers with the understanding you wouldn't be able to use the remote buttons unless the car was turned on?

I actually prefer this (and my other car has it that way standard) since someone can not then use the homelink to open whatever if your car is parked in your driveway and is broken in to...

z0ner said:
For a much simpler installation, couldn't you use the switched power from the original SV mirror assembly for both powers with the understanding you wouldn't be able to use the remote buttons unless the car was turned on?

z0ner said:
OrientExpress said:
...But regardless of the mirror you choose for your SV, you will still need to tap unswitched power from the overhead map light assembly.

I did the same as OrientExpress with my MY2013 SV but had the connector that went with it. I too tapped the unswitched (always-on) power from the overhead map light, but I don't think you need to do this. For a much simpler installation, couldn't you use the switched power from the original SV mirror assembly for both powers with the understanding you wouldn't be able to use the remote buttons unless the car was turned on?

Some folks prefer to have the homelink function on switched power, and that is easy enough to do by just bridging the 2 power input leads, but keep in mind that the mirror connector is different from the non-homelink and homelink mirrors, so if you get a used mirror, make sure that it is provided with the connector pigtail and you will save $15 on getting a replacement pigtail.

According to this YouTube video, which is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwjeVfdZ8k

...the VTZHL3 GNTX-453 should work in a 2017 SV (but I'll have to complete all the wiring, as there is no auto-dimming mirror on the 2017 SV). Can anyone confirm that it'll work?

Please see my new thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23984&p=495219

Back