att not using 2g after dec 31 2016

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdovel

I am thinking about purchasing a new leaf but found in the small print on the panthlet that att will terminate th 2g cellular service which car wings runs on.. what functionality will be lost when this happens??? Sorry if this is duplicate question but didnt see any posts relating to this.

Basically, unless Nissan come up with a way to update it, Carwings will cease to work.

tdovel said:
I am thinking about purchasing a new leaf but found in the small print on the panthlet that att will terminate th 2g cellular service which car wings runs on.. what functionality will be lost when this happens??? Sorry if this is duplicate question but didnt see any posts relating to this.

TomT said:
Basically, unless Nissan come up with a way to update it, Carwings will cease to work.

Which can not happen without replacing the hardware, unless Nissan has already thought about this and has an HSPA or LTE radio sitting in every car unused. I would not count on that being the case. :D

So what options does the car wings handles.. navigation, plugin location, etc.. wondering if I should get the S model instead, since im going to be buying the car. I have an android phone that have nav and could always pull up blink or another app to search for chargers.. anything else I am missing??

Isn't the modem a separate box? Also ATT probably just means on there branded telephone service, the bandwidth is still there on the G2 frequencies for other services like carwings. Nissan will own mine back by then anyway.

Or Nissan can hire a different provider using the same modems.

No one has actually answered the OP's actual question:
tdovel said:
what functionality will be lost when this happens???
So they ask again, more detailed:
tdovel said:
So what options does the car wings handles.. navigation, plugin location, etc.. wondering if I should get the S model instead, since im going to be buying the car. I have an android phone that have nav and could always pull up blink or another app to search for chargers.. anything else I am missing??
I'll try to answer some of it... but I'm likely not correct:

Carwings handles collection of some telemetrics, like miles traveled, average miles/kWh, etc.
(I wouldn't really miss this, but maybe I don't know enough)

It also handles the "push to car" mechanisms that allow you to plan a route on line and then have it show up in the car. You can do this (clumsily) from Nissan's website, or you can do this (easily) from Google Maps (and "send to car", although the newest Google Maps made this harder to use).
(I'd miss the "send to car" if (1) Google hadn't broken theirs and (2) the Nav wasn't terrible).

It also handles the remote car status, that lets you see the current state of charge, turn on (or set a timer) to enable charging (if already plugged in), turn on (or set a timer) climate control. This is utilized by Nissan's app, as well as the other Android and iPhone apps to provide the same capabilities.
(I'd definitely miss this.)

The "search for nearby charging stations" does use Carwings to update it's list, but I don't think it uses it actively when searching nearby.
(I just use Plugshare or Chargepoint on my phone).

I don't think there's a "locate my car" mechanism in Carwings (but I could be wrong).
(if you are plugged into a Chargepoint station, it will tell you where your car is. I never need this, as I know where my car is).

I don't think Nav uses Carwings.
(I found the Nav terrible, and use Waze on my Android phone; it's more responsive and the traffic data is real-time and useful).

IMHO, if you are a person who would spend $80K+ on a car, then just buy the Tesla. You won't regret it -- it's an incredible vehicle with nearly everything done right.

I'd have bought one if I didn't mind parting ways with $80K. In the end, I found I just couldn't figure out a way to tell people I'd spent that much on a car without feeling somehow wrong about it. I'm far happier with the price tag on the Leaf.

Too bad they cant just treat 2G as the old EDGE and keep it working.

TomT said:

tdovel said:

I have to wonder what kind of radio is shipping in the 2013/14/15 LEAF? Still only 2G radio? Seems short sighted given that the typical car is on the road for 8-10 years.

drees said:
I have to wonder what kind of radio is shipping in the 2013/14/15 LEAF? Still only 2G radio? Seems short sighted given that the typical car is on the road for 8-10 years.

The pamphlet I looked at for the 2014 Leaf had the same 2G warning.
The problem is not unique to the Leaf, it affects GM's Onstar service and Ford's Sync/Touch services as well
Based on the info that's been published in relation to Onstar, GM vehicles will start getting 4G-LTE in the 2015 model year.
I'm not sure if any of the automakers have a fully developed plan for how to upgrade the existing base of connected cars.

If it ends up that things just stop working and there is no upgrade, then that further ensures that I will not buy my FFE at the end of the lease.

My 2015 had the notice still :( Silly Nissan....why would they not upgrade the cellular radio!! SMH

GM already has a plan in place to swap out the radios for free on cars that are still in the three year warranty, and in exchange for a one year subscription (about 200 bucks) for the cars that are not...

cwstnsko said:
Based on the info that's been published in relation to Onstar, GM vehicles will start getting 4G-LTE in the 2015 model year.

cmfraz said:
My 2015 had the notice still :( Silly Nissan....why would they not upgrade the cellular radio!! SMH

Why put off today, what you can wait to put off tomorrow? :lol:

I've read that the Verizon 2G network will survive until 2021. Not sure what's involved in switching to a different network.

I've also read that the AT&T 2G shutdown will be complete by the end of 2016, you may find yourself without service prior to then as they slowly shut the service down.

This site has a nice "sunset map" which shows which zip codes are without 2g at present. Several thousand zip codes are sunsetted already.
http://www.telogis.com/2g-sunset/
http://www.telogis.com/2g-sunset/whats_happening/

Won't some bottom feeder just buy up the right to use ATT unused 2g network for cars and other low data requirement devices? Nissan can just contract with them.

Elephanthead said:
Won't some bottom feeder just buy up the right to use ATT unused 2g network for cars and other low data requirement devices? Nissan can just contract with them.

If the new service provider used the same frequencies that would be mighty fine. However ATT owns those frequencies and has plans to use them for expanding 4G coverage/capacity.

If new 2g frequencies are offered, the radios in the LEAF's would at a minimum need re-configuring, assuming that's even possible.

I anticipate Nissan offering new radios for older LEAF's at a cost. They could offer free Radios with a 2 year CarWings contract, but that's not likely IMHO.
The other credible option is to simply let LEAF's lose connectivity and offer connectivity with new vehicles.

Elephanthead said:

That spectrum is worth a fortune. Like, billions. Way out of "bottom feeder" range. 2G is being shut down because it's old as dirt, no one uses it, and it's taking up extremely valuable space. I'm surprised they waited even this long. As a mobile phone whore, they can't do it fast enough.

Back