2013 Leaf S Speaker replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billaz

Hey guys,

The speakers in my base Leaf are absolutely killing me. The highs are so-so at best and the lows are terrible. I am hoping that I can achieve a lot better sound by putting in a nice set of Infinity speakers. I would prefer keeping the original head unit so I can retain the backup camera etc. Has anyone had any experience here with the base model (no navigation/carwings)? I know I'll need a set of adapters to fit the speakers in, but does anyone know the specific size limitation? I know everyone is saying 6.5, but I am seeing a lot of 6.75 speakers out there that are claiming fit in the 6.5 opening... Anyone know if this is true. For example, the following Crutchfield link has the speakers I want but claims they do not fit in my Leaf.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6502IX/Infinity-Reference-X-REF-6502ix.html?tp=94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any help you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

*BUMP*

Anyone out there replaced Leaf speakers? I am seeing a few members who have done it, but not finding the details I need. Just need to know if the 6.75 inch speakers that claim they fit 6.5 inch openings will work in our Leafs. I would most likely be buying the adapter brackets as well so I don't have to bother with tearing up the oem speakers. Maybe these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZQVKYM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQ2EQ0RR85PGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any and all help is appreciated.

-Bill

Over 2 weeks and not one response??? This forum definitely doesn't have the participation that I loved from my Kia Soul forum :| .

Paying it forward to anyone else who tackles this project. The 6.75 inch speakers do fit in the adapter rings that I purchased. I heard really good reviews for the Infiniti Kappa 62.9i speakers and am really glad they are going to work. I will get them installed and report back with my findings. I am hoping I can achieve my goals without adding an amp, but I have a feeling an amp will be a must.

-Bill

Hi;

Many of the "early adopters" messed with our original cars quite a bit.

I installed a leather interior, and while doing so, upgraded the speakers and added dynamat sound deadening to the doors.

Here is a 10 page thread, with pictures and diagrams of how most of us did it.
(possibly why no one rushed to answer you ;) )

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a couple of tricks in there, which are nice to know going in.

Worked well, and still sounds great.
(also made closing the doors sound less like a Coke can)

Added about 70 lb's of weight, but I considered it a small price to pay

Good luck.

Here is where the pictures get interesting.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5908&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the "OEM" mounts and trimmed the "lip" off.
Replaced all 4 with no problems.

Watch the polarity, and seal the new speakers to prevent the back pressure from cancelling the "front" pressure.

Lots of threads on this. I went with these infinity's as they are 2 ohm (similar to stock) and are efficient at 95db - great for stock radio use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019G2HA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The factory speakers in the front doors have the bracket built into them. I had to destroy the OEM speaker to reuse it's bracket. By reusing the bracket you also avoid the need for speaker wire adapters.

That's probably why Crutchfield says it won't fit as it'snot true plug and play.

I bought some Rockford 6.5 inch speakers for all 4 doors. Had some issues.
1. They were 4 ohm, as Crutchfield warned. Gets plenty loud, but I do have to turn the radio up to higher volume.
2. Crutchfield sent speaker adapters that were passable, but barely. Used liquid nails to seal them in and used 3 instead of 4 screws to hold them down because that's all that was possible.
3. And this one pissed me off most of all. No speaker wiring harness adapters. Had to cut and splice in the wires for the speakers. Worst part, the wiring colors for speaker polarity were dead wrong from Crutchfield. I winged it, but am still on the lookout for proper speaker wire colors for polarity so that I can verify my 'guesses' and fix what I have done if needbe.

Sound is better, but nagging me that I may have gotten polarity wrong and should sound even better.

I am on the lookout for a bass solution for the right rear corner of the trunk for the near useless space there. I saw the 6.5 inch bazooka tube a guy did, and considered that, but am thinking something on the right side of the truck might look better at least.

Hey Guys,

So I got the rear speakers installed. Couldn't find any definitive answers on polarity, so I broke out the voltometer. I have the polarity right, but the bass is just not there. I installed the exact same speakers as phatcat73. Although I assume he has the lcd nav system rather than my base HU. The highs sound pretty good... but they don't produce near the bass of the OEM ones (Even though it is a low quality bass). Could this be an issue with the HU? By the looks of it, my Infititi's are 10 times heavier than the stock speakers. I am guessing that the HU just doesn't have enough power to move them. But maybe I'm missing something.

Phatcat73 said:
Lots of threads on this. I went with these infinity's as they are 2 ohm (similar to stock) and are efficient at 95db - great for stock radio use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019G2HA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The factory speakers in the front doors have the bracket built into them. I had to destroy the OEM speaker to reuse it's bracket. By reusing the bracket you also avoid the need for speaker wire adapters.

That's probably why Crutchfield says it won't fit as it'snot true plug and play.

I am interested in how this works out with an S. I don't know much about car audio. Is it easy to install a component speaker up front (separate woofer + tweeter) and put the tweeter in the pillar, like on the SV and SL?

Sounds like a lot of ADOO about nothing. One should not be messing with a new car if you don't know what you are doing. This thread sounds like a bunch of teenagers making mods on their first S&^%box car. 1) I have the "S", know good sound, and they are good for being "stock". 2) If you want an audiophile system, PAY any stereo installer to make the changes.... SHEESH!

Infinity Kappa 60.11 CS (Component System) is on sale for $245 per pair on Crutchfield and on Infinity Car Audio retail site. The Infinity site says that they will fit and Crutchfield says that they will not fit. There is a mounting height clearance issue with the door panel/grille by a little over one tenth of an inch. The Infinity woofer will sit up slightly too far above the mounting surface to allow the door panels to fit properly back over them. It's often possible to overcome such a slight mounting height difference if you can find a way to space out the panel slightly or possibly file down the back of the stock grille integrated into the panel.

I have the Bose system in my 2016 Leaf SL, but its performance is still below expectations. The bass plays deeper/louder than the front speakers can effectively handle. It sounds like the music is coming from my feet. The tweeters do not do a good enough job of bringing the soundstage higher and foraward as they should. If you cover them, you'll certainly miss them, but the system needs something to bring the soundstage up and forward.

The Infinity Kappa tweeters reportedly have a much wider and lower frequency range than most other tweeters. I'm very much interested in getting these installed my Leaf along with sound deadening.

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/co....html?dwvar_KAPPA 60.11CS_color=Black#start=1

Back